Microwaves

JetBoy

Featured Posts

We both switched probably 6 months ago from lager to alternative tipples. My tipple of choice being Jack Daniels and Liam's being Gin.

We have the occasional can of Coors but very few compared to previously or an occasional pint of real ale.

Erm. No.

A born again foodie

55A!

Not sure why you are surprised : 660 watt / 12 VDC = 55A. In fact 660 watt is on the lower end of the scale for microwaves, is it not?

However, most mw's will be used for short bursts, typically one or two minutes. Hence, consumption for one go at scrambled eggs = 55A * (1/30) hours = under 3 amp hours which is what matters. Compare with a fridge which is likely to take 25Ahr overnight or a tv which could use 15Ahr.

Battery hit with 240 V AC is not likely to be much higher (save for the fact that it is probably higher rated eg 1000 watts) even taking into account the efficiency losses in conversion. The downside of being only able to use when inverter is on is modest as the two will probably coincide for most uses.

Not sure why you are surprised : 660 watt / 12 VDC = 55A. In fact 660 watt is on the lower end of the scale for microwaves, is it not?

However, most mw's will be used for short bursts, typically one or two minutes. Hence, consumption for one go at scrambled eggs = 55A * (1/30) hours = under 3 amp hours which is what matters. Compare with a fridge which is likely to take 25Ahr overnight or a tv which could use 15Ahr.

Battery hit with 240 V AC is not likely to be much higher (save for the fact that it is probably higher rated eg 1000 watts) even taking into account the efficiency losses in conversion. The downside of being only able to use when inverter is on is modest as the two will probably coincide for most uses.

If it's only 660w it will be on for longer bursts.

Not only but also... how many folk will wire it with thick enough cable?

I'm well impressed that a 55A microwave can offer 600W of heating. In fact I don't believe it at all.

Liam has had to change his habits for health reasons. It made sense for me to follow suit.

He is on the mend though and we do both feel better and lighter for making a few changes.

Good for you, lets hope it pays off in the long run. Its a bit late to make changes once you are buggered.

I would like a microwave onboard, living alone I cook curries, chilli's, stews and other dishes that always end up with enough for three, so I pop these in a tub and freeze, currently I pop them back in a pan wand warm up, but sometimes this can dry some if the fluid from the meal, a microwave wild be handy to warm these up.

Don't think I will ever have one though due to the power consumption, or at least the heavy draw on the batteries.

If that is 660 watts loading which is what they indicate then its a lot smaller than the smallest mains one available. The smallest I could find was 600Watts microwave power and they suggest that the supply current is around 5 amps at 230 volts

http://www.daewooelectronics.co.uk/14l-compact-manual-microwave

When I was 'investigating' microwaves I found that the quoted 'wattage' is the power it puts into the food - it is not the power consumption.

So, a typical 800w microwave actually uses around 1000w - 1200w and 1600w on start up

Exactly. So the "600W" (55A 12V) jobbie probably has a heating power of around 400W.

Not only but also... how many folk will wire it with thick enough cable?

I'm well impressed that a 55A microwave can offer 600W of heating. In fact I don't believe it at all.

Does it claim to? I thought that 660 watts was its power consumption rather than delivery.

They are good for people who cannot cook in our opinion. There are however two types of food they cook extremely well one being scrambled eggs the other being fish apart from that......

Hmmm

Scrambled eggs from a microwave ?

Question is do you have one slice or two .

Wrong Sir ... Wrong i tell you .

Thats Room 101 for an ex chef ....

cheers

Hmmm

Scrambled eggs from a microwave ?

Question is do you have one slice or two .

Wrong Sir ... Wrong i tell you .

Thats Room 101 for an ex chef ....

cheers

Actually, I make lovely scrambled eggs in our microwave. Creamy and soft just how they should be. Saves mucking up a pan too.

• Greenie 1

Yes

Im kidding a bit . If carefully timed then you can get good results i suppose . But to me making scrambled eggs , like making bread is not a chore , its a pleasure , though breadmaking is not achievable lately due to time constraints .

I find theres nothing a microwave can do that a pan or pot with a lid can do especially at this time of year with the stove going all the time .

Having said all that i wouldn t mind a crack at making one of those cakes you can do in a mug .

cheers