Boat sunk on the Macc on Marple

Alway Swilby

Featured Posts

I find sarcastic, ignorant posts which demonstrate that the poster is incapable of reading threads with any intelligence or insight to be both the height of bad manners and downright offensive myself.

There again, we're all different.

Wondered if SD's post was PC,Now beginning to think it was more CP?

CT

If my boat had sunk and you had the cheek to suggest i should crane it out the canal, i don't believe you'd say it to my face so to sit behind your keyboard and make such comments is pretty cowardly and, yes, extreme bad manners. You don't know why it sunk and you aren't there, you aren't prepared to help so i don't understand why it's any of your business.

Edited by Stuart Davies

I had a rock once that sank.

If it sank in 24 hours its got a big hole in it.

From experience a slight weep wont sink a boat and most people would notice the water level and do something then but to have it pumped out and then next day be sunk. I would suggest sorting out a nappy before re floating. And then being docked asap or better crained out boat filled with water and see from the outside where its leaking out.

If my boat had sunk and you had the cheek ( and the balls) to suggest i should crane it out the canal, i don't believe you'd say it to my face so to sit behind your keyboard...

Cheek? If your boat was sunk and you had no idea why then not only would I suggest that it needed to come out of the canal to your face but I'd also help you organise it.

Well, probably not you, but almost anyone else.

I had a rock once that sank.

If it sank in 24 hours its got a big hole in it.

From experience a slight weep wont sink a boat and most people would notice the water level and do something then but to have it pumped out and then next day be sunk. I would suggest sorting out a nappy before re floating. And then being docked asap or better crained out boat filled with water and see from the outside where its leaking out.

Absolutely. That's no small leak.

• Greenie 2

If my boat had sunk and you had the cheek to suggest i should crane it out the canal, i don't believe you'd say it to my face so to sit behind your keyboard and make such comments is pretty cowardly and, yes, extreme bad manners. You don't know why it sunk and you aren't there, you aren't prepared to help so i don't understand why it's any of your business.

What a strange post, so a boat sinks and if someone suggests it should be craned out they are being disrespectful ?

... i don't understand why it's any of your business.

I don't understand why it's any of yours either but please carry on being the big brave keyboard warrior.

What a strange post, so a boat sinks and if someone suggests it should be craned out they are being disrespectful ?

Yes, I don't understand it either. Hey, ho, everyone's different.

Edited by WotEver

As a newcomer to the forum, which you obviously are, it might be better to ease your way inro it rather than just starting by slagging everyone who knows more than you off. Of course, if you aren't a newcomer at all, but just an old friend with a new name, feel free to carry on being a plonker.
  • Greenie 3

It just goes to show lack of maintenance more than anything. First thing i did then i found a leak was plugged it and booked the dock so i must be being disrespectful.

I never did get my rock to float.

Edited by billybobbooth
  • Greenie 1

I used to commute to London on the train from Birmingham many years ago and made friends with another regular commuter. He had a wooden narrow boat and after he suffered a flat battery and/or failed bilge pump for the fourth time the fire brigade told him they wouldn't pump it out again. He then had three batteries and six bilge pumps installed. It sunk again and he sold it.

Sounds like that was a wise move ;)

Why don't you read all the posts, particularly the one I pointed out to you before?

As a reminder it was post number 15, and it says the boat has a HOLE in it.

Now I suggest you look at the rules of this Forum.

As a newcomer to the forum, which you obviously are, it might be better to ease your way inro it rather than just starting by slagging everyone who knows more than you off. Of course, if you aren't a newcomer at all, but just an old friend with a new name, feel free to carry on being a plonker.

I suspect that is a foregone conclusion!

I hesitate to post an update here because I don't want to start an argument!

However: As previously thought the boat has quite a large hole in it and subsequently despite various pumps, small to large, the boat is still on the bottom. The owner knows there is a hole but is not sure where hence trying to pump it out to find out. The location is inaccessible to a crane. Today's first attempt was worth trying if only to prove to the owner the scale of the problem. Please be aware that when the boat first sank he was taken off to hospital suffering from hypothermia and had little clue what was going on having just been on board his home while it sunk.

The reference in a previous post here referring to our blog and how the fire brigade had patched the leak shows that that is obviously incorrect. It's what a fire fighter told us at the time and also he told the owner the same.

I don't know what happens next. It's up to the owner how he wants to proceed.

He is very grateful to all those that turned up today to help.

Yes, they did. They have good pumps!

So that bit was right, that's good news that we know that it can be re-floated even if it won't stay up long. I guess the best way forward then will be to either pay RCR to float it and drag it to a dock, or hire a pump and DIY. Or maybe a local workshop can offer a similar service.

I hope he's able to sort it sooner rather than later :)

One would hope that if the boat was licensed it would have insurance.

I would suggest that the insurers be contacted as they may decide that 'amateur involvement' may have made the situation worse and will revoke cover.

alternatively he may have only had 3rd party insurance (it is sad that the boats most 'at risk', are insured 3rd party only as they would fail a survey and so are unable to secure fully comprehensive insurance)

If either the insurers or the owner (if 3rd party only) do not get the boat removed then C&RT will be 'hitting them' with charges for removal.

I've only got 3rd party insurance on mine, but it still covers recovery if it sinks. I was really lucky when mine sprang a leak last year in that I was looking into the engine bay when the leak happened and was also with someone who knew what to do. Very sorry for this guy.

I hesitate to post an update here because I don't want to start an argument!

However: As previously thought the boat has quite a large hole in it and subsequently despite various pumps, small to large, the boat is still on the bottom. The owner knows there is a hole but is not sure where hence trying to pump it out to find out. The location is inaccessible to a crane. Today's first attempt was worth trying if only to prove to the owner the scale of the problem. Please be aware that when the boat first sank he was taken off to hospital suffering from hypothermia and had little clue what was going on having just been on board his home while it sunk.

The reference in a previous post here referring to our blog and how the fire brigade had patched the leak shows that that is obviously incorrect. It's what a fire fighter told us at the time and also he told the owner the same.

I don't know what happens next. It's up to the owner how he wants to proceed.

He is very grateful to all those that turned up today to help.

So if the boat is inaccessible by crane you need a nappy then or a tarp to cover the hole.

What you need is a big pump lift it a little off the bottom and wrap the boat as soon as its on it will plug every hole and float quite happely you and the either temp repair from inside and move the boat to either a dock or craining point.

But i wont suggest you do this i wouldnt want to offend anyone.

Edited by billybobbooth