Boat sunk on the Macc on Marple

Alway Swilby

Featured Posts

A narrowboat sunk on the Macc at Marple on Wednesday and was pumped out by the Fire Brigade. They also took the owner of the boat to hospital with hypothermia. He's ok now but his home is again sitting on the bottom of the Macc near the Ring o Bells in Marple. People are turning up tomorrow morning to help. If anyone can offer help the owner will be extreemly grateful.

Don't know if I can post a facebook link here but I'll have a try.

https://www.facebook.com/djembe.dave/posts/10208542757593276?pnref=story

Feels a little like putting the cart before the horse. Dozens of folk coming up to pump out a boat that's just going to sink again? Wouldn't a crane be more use?

I don't mean to be harsh, I just don't see the point?

Feels a little like putting the cart before the horse. Dozens of folk coming up to pump out a boat that's just going to sink again? Wouldn't a crane be more use?

I don't mean to be harsh, I just don't see the point?

It's not possible to crane out a boat full of water and it's not possible to find out why it sunk until it refloated so i'm afraid your suggestion won't work.

If you could get a huge tarp, you could place it under the hull, after partial pump out, ie boat no longer on the bottom, then tie it up like a huge set of waders, continue pumping and the tarp will eventually tighten around the hull like cling film, but will need some reinforcement around the sticky out bits, like rudder and prop.

Result, no further water can get in below the waterline, and the boat could be towed with care.

The cause could be a failed sea cock... or a failed weld or heavy corrosion. Could be other things of course, but something catastrophic.

It's not possible to crane out a boat full of water and it's not possible to find out why it sunk until it refloated so i'm afraid your suggestion won't work.

It's not possible to float a boat that sinks in 24 hours either so would you suggest it should simply be left where it is?

Obviously if it was going to be craned it would have to be pumped out first, then it can be lifted and examined. Or, a quick dash to a local dry dock with bilge pumps running could work, but where's the logic in getting a crowd of folk to repeat (with smaller pumps) what the fire brigade have already done?

If you could get a huge tarp, you could place it under the hull, after partial pump out, ie boat no longer on the bottom, then tie it up like a huge set of waders, continue pumping and the tarp will eventually tighten around the hull like cling film, but will need some reinforcement around the sticky out bits, like rudder and prop.

Result, no further water can get in below the waterline, and the boat could be towed with care.

Yup, that makes sense. Can you get tarps that big?

A sensible strategy would be:

1. Refloat the boat

2. Find the leak and make a temporary repair

3. ASAP, get the boat to a dry dock or slipway to be repaired properly.

Yes,but the owner isn't talking about doing either 2. or 3. He's just asking folk to help him achieve 1. That's the part that I find pointless; it's already been done once.

Many years ago I knew people who had wooden boats, often converted lifeboats on the cut. A good number of these would have sunk quite quickly if not pumped each day! We take water tight steel boats for granted. Float the boat; find the leak. Seal temporarily if necessary. Lift/drydock and repair. Good luck to all helping, sorry I can't.

Many years ago I knew people who had wooden boats, often converted lifeboats on the cut. A good number of these would have sunk quite quickly if not pumped each day! We take water tight steel boats for granted. Float the boat; find the leak. Seal temporarily if necessary. Lift/drydock and repair. Good luck to all helping, sorry I can't.

I used to commute to London on the train from Birmingham many years ago and made friends with another regular commuter. He had a wooden narrow boat and after he suffered a flat battery and/or failed bilge pump for the fourth time the fire brigade told him they wouldn't pump it out again. He then had three batteries and six bilge pumps installed. It sunk again and he sold it.

Several folk in that thread asked why the boat sank and the OP never answered although he answered other questions.

If the hull is holed, what's the point of refloating it?

It says here the Fire Brigade patched the leak so that it didn't sink again https://nblillyanne.wordpress.com/2017/01/05/cordoned-in-4th-january/

It's not possible to float a boat that sinks in 24 hours either so would you suggest it should simply be left where it is?

Obviously if it was going to be craned it would have to be pumped out first, then it can be lifted and examined. Or, a quick dash to a local dry dock with bilge pumps running could work, but where's the logic in getting a crowd of folk to repeat (with smaller pumps) what the fire brigade have already done?

Yup, that makes sense. Can you get tarps that big?

Yes,but the owner isn't talking about doing either 2. or 3. He's just asking folk to help him achieve 1. That's the part that I find pointless; it's already been done once.

he has said there is a hole in the side.

he has said there is a hole in the side.

Ahh, so he knows where the problem lies, good :)

Hopefully it can be temporarily sorted tomorrow then. Don't know why he didn't mention it in that FB thread but never mind.

Ahh, so he knows where the problem lies, good smile.png

Hopefully it can be temporarily sorted tomorrow then. Don't know why he didn't mention it in that FB thread but never mind.

he mentioned it in another group

Silly man; fancy spending time dealing with a health crisis and a sunk boat rather than updating the curious on social media.

Did you bother reading the thread, or were you too busy being sarcastic?

He asked for help, and several folk were offering to do so but asked why the boat had sunk. He had time to joke about tea, cake and cookies but ignored each question about the problem.

Well poor Djembe Dave, all he had to do was behave how you wanted him to ( was forelock tugging required?) and you would have rushed to his aid with your expertise and resources.

Or, perhaps, 1. he's not sure how it sunk 2. he'll get help nearer to the boat and 3. he wanted tea cake and sympathy from the Facebook group.

If you're unable to give him that last then perhaps you're better off keeping your nose out of it.

• Greenie 1

He can behave how he likes. I've never met him and I'm unlikely to do so, making it irrelevant to me.

Seeing that he can't show common courtesy in replying to folk offering to help him (unless they're offering cake) then on reflection I'm pretty glad I don't know him.

Well poor Djembe Dave, all he had to do was behave how you wanted him to ( was forelock tugging required?) and you would have rushed to his aid with your expertise and resources.

Or, perhaps, 1. he's not sure how it sunk 2. he'll get help nearer to the boat and 3. he wanted tea cake and sympathy from the Facebook group.

If you're unable to give him that last then perhaps you're better off keeping your nose out of it.

1/ See post #15 above!!

2/ If he doesn't cure 1 he will sink again!!

3/ Surely his first priority is 1, above?

Perhaps you need to read before sniping and criticising people here!

No, actually, in the real world his first priority is his health, well being and morale. I thought you claimed to be involved in some kind of rescue operation, did they not train you?

As for the sniping, I'm not sure who rattled you cage and i find whatever's supercilious criticism of something he knows nothing about other than a few vague posts on facebook the height of bad manners.

No, actually, in the real world his first priority is his health, well being and morale.

Were it the case that he didn't know why the boat had sunk, which initially appeared to be the facts, then asking for help in raising a boat which is only going to sink again in 24 hours would, I suggest, do absolutely nothing for his health, well-being, or morale. In fact I would imagine it would harm all three.