Featured Posts

Surely, something like what I have posted would be ok? It's been stripped back, new hull platings, new superstructure, new fitout, new engine... there's not much left of the old boat...

It's still a 1931 boat though, for the same price you can get a fully fitted ready to go 2nd hand 2005/2010 ish Dutch Barge. Makes no sense if you think about it. 1931 is still 1931 when it comes to your insurance and their terms and conditions for boats over 25 years of age.

Re getting that Dutch barge up the Thames to Oxford, at 61x12 it'll fit easily. This summer I went up there with the Narrow Boat Trust's pair of coal boats breasted up, which is 72x14. The first real obstacle is Osney Bridge in Oxford which has low headroom, but that boat should fit under because the wheelhouse folds down. You might even be able to get to Lechlade.

I think this post reflects my sentiments entirely. I've been trying to find a boat that does eveything. That isn't possible. I'll find myself a beautiful dutch barge to live on and potter up and down the Thames, and then explore the canals in a narrowboat. I don't want to contribute to the problem.

It might prove cheaper to explore the canals with a share in a narrowboat, rather than hiring one. That way you will get 3-4 weeks holiday on a boat with running costs around a weeks hire, if you ignore the purchase price. If you get a second hand share you might even recoup your purchase price when you come to sell.

Secondhand shares are often advertised here.

http://www.boatshare.co.uk

Does anyone have any vague idea how much it would cost to fitout the boat i linked?

http://www.dutchbargesforsale.co.uk/barges_for_sale_in_holland/6247/complete_rebuild__very_good_quality.html

Assuming galley, bathrooms, heating, generators, batteries etc....

Are we talking 30k or 100k

Does anyone have any vague idea how much it would cost to fitout the boat i linked?

http://www.dutchbargesforsale.co.uk/barges_for_sale_in_holland/6247/complete_rebuild__very_good_quality.html

I think the problem that many of us have is that the link doesn't work, as Mike pointed out earlier.

That very much depends on what you specify.

It could easily go over £100k if you start specifying expensive equipment.

I think the problem that many of us have is that the link doesn't work, as Mike pointed out earlier.

It works fine here, on Chrome too

1079-6732-1080-m8y.jpg

That very much depends on what you specify.

It could easily go over £100k if you start specifying expensive equipment.

Exactly.

Richard

I get the following even if I try to go to the home page.

This site can’t provide a secure connection

www.dutchbargesforsale.co.uk uses an unsupported protocol.

ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH

Chrome Version 55.0.2883.87 m (64-bit)

Works fine

Richard

It depends. If you had the time and knowledge and skills you could do it yourself for below the low end of that, but you're approaching this having never fitted out or even lived on a boat before, so you don't know what you need to do - you will need to hire one or more people to plan it, manage it and do it for you. If you get the right people and everything goes smoothly and there are no disagreements, then I don't see why you'd need to be getting as high as 100K. If it all goes sour as so many jobs do, especially for inexperienced clients, then who knows what it may cost you at the end of the day - both in money and time spent both waiting for it to be done or chasing things up when it's not.

We spent years researching and looking at boats before we bought, and had already lived on two before buying our own, so we had a lot more awareness of all the issues than you are arriving with - but we still decided to go with an existing boat that was already fitted. Had we tried to specify and oversee a fitout ourselves I very much doubt we would have got it right. Even now, were we needing to commission a whole new boat, I would find the prospect daunting.

A second hand boat that you like, can get started living on, and gradually improve to your liking, is what I would recommend to anyone new to living aboard.

At 86 years old she's no youngster.

What does that mean though if she's been rebuilt? What actually is left? Does that mean her 'skeleton' is old, but everything else is replaced? I don't know enough about barges to know what actually is left over and could be the weak point.

Your not making much sense now, that barge is approx £168,000 it is in Holland, you either fit it out in Holland then get it to the UK or get it to a yard in the UK and complete the fitout. With transportation and fitout your well over your budget.

Send the seller an email for coatings to complete in Holland and transport to Uk or cost just to transport to the UK.

Just come to terms with it, your best bet with your budget is to buy a completed 2nd hand Dutch Barge. You could probably come in with offers circa £160K for the other one you listed and see what happens. As I said before not many people have your budget so your in a very good buying position.

What does that mean though if she's been rebuilt? What actually is left? Does that mean her 'skeleton' is old, but everything else is replaced? I don't know enough about barges to know what actually is left over and could be the weak point.

It means the bits that have been found to be too rotten have been replaced. The bits that were not found to be too rotten are still there. The bits that are still there with an unknown state may be good or rotten

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Your not making much sense now, that barge is approx £168,000 it is in Holland, you either fit it out in Holland then get it to the UK or get it to a yard in the UK and complete the fitout. With transportation and fitout your well over your budget.

Send the seller an email for coatings to complete in Holland and transport to Uk or cost just to transport to the UK.

Just come to terms with it, your best bet with your budget is to buy a completed 2nd hand Dutch Barge. You could probably come in with offers circa £160K for the other one you listed and see what happens. As I said before not many people have your budget so your in a very good buying position.

You mean this one?

http://barges.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=480505

Some of the other barges on there are very pretty.

Really like this one for not a stupid price and a nice size to handle.

https://www.dutchbargesforsale.co.uk/barges_for_sale_in_holland/6163/17m_motortjalk.html

Been on sale for a while looking at the Ad and the phrase.

Please note that the asking price of 95,000 Euros converts into £78,500 @ today's Exchange rate 30/03/2014