Boat rocking side to side

dr00020

Featured Posts

I have a stability problem with my Highbridge pebbles in sacks sounds good to me i think i will try that one is there any particular place to position them yes i know at the lowest point but at the bow or the stern or all along huh.png

Ballast should go where it's needed to balance the boat. So if the port side is lower in the water, for example if heavier items such as a stove are on that side, add ballast on the starboard until the two sides are level.

Similarly, ballast should go towards the bow/stern/all along depending on the angle you want to be at; usually a narrow boat needs a bit more depth at the stern so that the prop is far enough under water. If your angle is already good, you want to spread your extra ballast evenly.

• Greenie 1

Ballast should go where it's needed to balance the boat. So if the port side is lower in the water, for example if heavier items such as a stove are on that side, add ballast on the starboard until the two sides are level.

Similarly, ballast should go towards the bow/stern/all along depending on the angle you want to be at; usually a narrow boat needs a bit more depth at the stern so that the prop is far enough under water. If your angle is already good, you want to spread your extra ballast evenly.

Thanks for that peter ;-)

I have a stability problem with my Highbridge pebbles in sacks sounds good to me i think i will try that one is there any particular place to position them yes i know at the lowest point but at the bow or the stern or all along huh.png

Our cruiser is very tender and rocks around a lot. Adding ballast doesn't help matters. It is the hull shape that causes the motion. Ours has a deep v hull.

Our cruiser is very tender and rocks around a lot. Adding ballast doesn't help matters. It is the hull shape that causes the motion. Ours has a deep v hull.

I would have expected keel ballast in particular to reduce tenderness more than general ballast spread around the boat. In theory all ballast added will reduce tenderness though. Two effects will be at play.

1) Ballast placed low in the hull will increase the distance of the centre of gravity below the centre of buoyancy. This increases stability

2) The inertia (of mass) increases, resisting rolling

If Naughty Cal removed all the ballast from her boat I bet it get would FAR more tender!

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

I would have expected keel ballast in particular to reduce tenderness more than general ballast spread around the boat. In theory all ballast added will reduce tenderness though. Two effects will be at play.

1) Ballast placed low in the hull will increase the distance of the centre of gravity below the centre of buoyancy. This increases stability

2) The inertia (of mass) increases, resisting rolling

If Naughty Cal removed all the ballast from her boat I bet it get would FAR more tender!

There is no ballast in it barring the engine and tankage!

ETA: Adding ballast defeats the object of keeping her as light as possible rolleyes.gif

Edited by Naughty Cal

A boatman in Gnosal pub was asked does your boat rock when you make love, reply don't know we live in Lichfield.

Tamworth actually clapping.gif

No beer store only the fridge. And that only counts as temporary ballast!

And when consumed becomes movable ballast biggrin.png

No beer store only the fridge. And that only counts as temporary ballast!

Years ago, we spent a few days with friends in their holiday cottage on the west coast of New Zealand. This lovely place was equipped with two large fridges, but one afternoon, one of our Kiwi friends was heard to exclaim 'Who put food in the bloody beer fridge!'

Years ago, we spent a few days with friends in their holiday cottage on the west coast of New Zealand. This lovely place was equipped with two large fridges, but one afternoon, one of our Kiwi friends was heard to exclaim 'Who put food in the bloody beer fridge!'

Our boat fridge isn't very big so we have to have a beer section and a good section. Guess which is biggest :)

Our boat fridge isn't very big so we have to have a beer section and a good section. Guess which is biggest smile.png

remember in this festive season not to drink and drive.

.......................... and that includes driving the boat rolleyes.gif

cheers.gif

Boat is left all on her lonesome for Christmas:(

Now sat at home with a beer trying to figure out how to fit all of the food and drink in our small fridge at home.

Are you suggesting that you keep your beer in the 'bad' section ?

Why is it 'bad' does it not keep cool ?

Bloody predictive text!

Should be food section of course.

Anywhere will do as far as transverse stability is concerned but you will need to consider the trim (relative draughts of the bow and stern) as well.