Engines in new builds that conform to emmissions regulations.

Featured Posts

Can i put a second hand SABB or BUKH in a new build narrow boat.

I can't find the relevant bit of legislation but I don't think you are supposed to but quite honestly Nobody will ever know and how could they ever find out. I would go ahead without a second thought.

I seem to remember a thread on here some 2 years ago or so that suggested that you could be RCD compliant with a vintage engine as long as fitted by January 2017. But I also have a feeling that the 36hp bukh is still being made to identical specifications new, so ought to comply with emissions anyway. Not sure about the Sabbs, they are a fair bit older I think.

Mick

The boat builder should not sell it to you with a non compliant engine that they have supplied as they would be unable to give you the annex 3 declaration they are required to give you.

This is my understanding, and I am not a lawyer. The boat builder can sell you a part completed boat - without an engine - then after sale to you they could under your instruction then fit any engine you were to free issue supply to them.

You can then complete the fit out, however you would have a boat that was not compliant to the RCD and can only be used for your personal use and must not sell it for 5 years from putting it into service.

Assuming it is in CRT waters you would have to have a boat safety examination and certificate 12 months later.

I have heard that you are allowed to fit any older style engine you want in a boat as long as it is a replica of a historic boat.

Define "replica"...

I have heard that you are allowed to fit any older style engine you want in a boat as long as it is a replica of a historic boat.

Define "replica"...

"in the style of" ie just about every Hudson boat with a Lister JP in it

The boat builder should not sell it to you with a non compliant engine that they have supplied as they would be unable to give you the annex 3 declaration they are required to give you.

This is my understanding, and I am not a lawyer. The boat builder can sell you a part completed boat - without an engine - then after sale to you they could under your instruction then fit any engine you were to free issue supply to them.

You can then complete the fit out, however you would have a boat that was not compliant to the RCD and can only be used for your personal use and must not sell it for 5 years from putting it into service.

Assuming it is in CRT waters you would have to have a boat safety examination and certificate 12 months later.

That is a common practice. Most of our engines going into narrowboats are supplied to the owner not the boatbuilder. As usual only the Brits worry about it. The Dutch ignore it entirely for private craft and make a token observance of the rules for commercial boats. It is not unknown for a compliant engine to be fitted for the original survey and then swapped for a vintage one.

Edited by steamraiser2

Are you allowed to build a boat that isn't RCD compliant these days?

That's a genuine question btw.

A professional boat builder isn't allowed to build a fully fitted boat that's not RCD compliant, but if they're building a partially completed boat (however that's defined) then what we know as a sailaway should come with a RCD Annexe 3 Declaration of Conformity for partially completed craft. This covers the new owner for a period of 1 year after which point they have the option of continuing with full RCD compliance or the much simpler option of getting a BSS certificate. If they choose the latter then the boat can't be sold for a period of 5 years. This 5 year rule was implemented to continue to allow self-fittouts to be completed under the BSS while preventing professional builders from using (abusing) a potential loophole.

That's my understanding anyway.

Edited by blackrose

Thank you for the information.The boat will be of vintage style ish,trad tugish.

A replica tug, in fact!

The "replica" epithet is tricky because nearly all new builds have a full-length cabin, even if their hull proportions are close to those of working boats. But old tugs did usually have a longish cabin and a longish front deck, just as new ones tend to do - so by my reckoning a tug has a good chance of being a convincing replica.