Survey Done

Ex-Member

Featured Posts

Ok so got the survey report from Craig Allen on the boat. His first impressions were that the brochure does not show the true qaulity and condition of the boat. He was impressed with the internal fit out which is all solid American White Oak including a T&G ceiling. There isn't a screwhead or nail to be seen and he seemed to like that and it has been maintained to a high standard.

In truth there was very little negative comment, just recommendations. A PVR needs replacing on the Calorifier (and he suggests taking the hose out through the side..... need an estimate for that) Virtually no pitting of any significance. Suggests a bigger alternator, minor repairs here and there but nothing essential at all. Full history of the boat backs up the work done and condition. Only BSS issue was things stored in the gas locker.

The only real down was that, although the boat was blacked last year, he doesn't think it was done well so he suggested it be redone. The vendor has agreed to offer £500 towards that as it would delay the sale if he tried to get it organised & done beforehand. It isn't urgent and we might even consider having a full shot blast and epoxy rather than bitumen. Having said I know people say it might be bestto stick with what you have. Overall nothing really damning at all and, as we were there for most of the time, he was great explaining everything. At the price we offered, plus the additional reduction today, he thinks it comparably priced..... so it looks like full steam ahead...wacko.png

Ha Ha your buying a boat. Now all the neighbours will find out and you'll be the talk of the street. Best buy some dark glasses and a big hat.

Well not necessarily as we live in quite a remote part of the Brecon Hills, no lights, no streets, no mobile phone reception. If the electricity goes off, which it does on a fairly regular basis, the water goes off too as it has to be pumped up here. As for the neighbours well I can't remember the last time I saw one go past, other than to wave from their car. On one side we have a 12thc Church and opposite we have views down the valley, the rest is farm land............. er why would I buy a boat?????wacko.png

Well not necessarily as we live in quite a remote part of the Brecon Hills, no lights, no streets, no mobile phone reception. If the electricity goes off, which it does on a fairly regular basis, the water goes off too as it has to be pumped up here. As for the neighbours well I can't remember the last time I saw one go past, other than to wave from their car. On one side we have a 12thc Church and opposite we have views down the valley, the rest is farm land............. er why would I buy a boat?????wacko.png

To get away from the church bells, obviously!!!

Well not necessarily as we live in quite a remote part of the Brecon Hills, no lights, no streets, no mobile phone reception. If the electricity goes off, which it does on a fairly regular basis, the water goes off too as it has to be pumped up here. As for the neighbours well I can't remember the last time I saw one go past, other than to wave from their car. On one side we have a 12thc Church and opposite we have views down the valley, the rest is farm land............. er why would I buy a boat?????:wacko:

Because you can fall in the canal every other day and stay dryer on average than when living in the Brecon Beacons?

• Greenie 2

Because you can fall in the canal every other day and stay dryer on average than when living in the Brecon Beacons?

ooooohh that's cruel (true but cruel) We do get some lovely weather too though, as in today. Where we live is about 1500ft up and it has it's own climate, it can be lovely and sunny up here and then 10 miles down into town it is persisting down. The farmers reakon we are a month behind eveywhere else which means we get a later spring but a longer summer/autumn.

ooooohh that's cruel (true but cruel) We do get some lovely weather too though, as in today. Where we live is about 1500ft up and it has it's own climate, it can be lovely and sunny up here and then 10 miles down into town it is persisting down. The farmers reakon we are a month behind eveywhere else which means we get a later spring but a longer summer/autumn.

I've yomped about a bit up in them there hills on occasion (involuntarily, but that's beside the point). Although you sure get your share of precipitation, when it's lovely it's absolutely lovely. It would have been a lot more lovely without a 60lb pack too, so perhaps I ought to give it a go for recreational purposes one day!

• Greenie 1

I've yomped about a bit up in them there hills on occasion (involuntarily, but that's beside the point). Although you sure get your share of precipitation, when it's lovely it's absolutely lovely. It would have been a lot more lovely without a 60lb pack too, so perhaps I ought to give it a go for recreational purposes one day!

You won't regret it. Just find a good pub at the end of it all. The Star Inn at Talybot is recommended - and right beside a canal as an added bonus. :)

Edited by Froggy

As it happens, I'm no stranger to Talybont, nor the Star Inn neither! biggrin.png Going back a bit mind! wink.png

I used to live in Newport, and have done quite a lot of hiking in that part of the Brecons. I haven't been back to the Star myself in about ten years, but it always used to have an excellent choice of real ales, decent food and a great atmosphere. I've always intended to get to the jazz festival that i think is an annual event each July, but so far have never got around to it,