Diesel Rip Off

Flyboy

Featured Posts

Recently I called at Taft Wharf (Bridge 69 T&M) to get some spare diesel in two cans. I gave the vendor a 25litre. & 20 litre translucent plastic containers, where they were taken away for filling. When he returned he put the containers down & I noticed they were not as full as they should be (up to the shoulders of the containers). On querying the quantity I was assured that it was correct. I paid after taking pictures of the containers & left stating that I would measure the contents accurately when I got home. At home I measured the contents with a laboratory measuring cylinder which confirmed that I had short measure.

Result :- the 25 litre container had 19 litres & the 20 litre had 13.75 litres. So I got 32.75 litres & paid for 45.

Next day I returned & requested that the amounts were made good. The vendor went ballistic with a tirade of foul language ( mostly 4 letter) & accused me of removing some of the diesel & trying rip him off. In the end he put all the diesel back in his tank & I got refunded. He then told me to 'f*** off & don't ever come back.

My advice to anyone buying from this seller or anyone else for that matter is to make sure you get what you pay for.

• Greenie 1

When I have bought from them the amount was always close to what I was expecting and my calculated litres per hour have stayed consistent to when I have bought elsewhere. If he were selling me short measure I would expect both of the above to change.

Top Cat

In the end he put all the diesel back in his tank & I got refunded. He then told me to 'f*** off & don't ever come back.

My advice to anyone buying from this seller or anyone else for that matter is to make sure you get what you pay for.

Did you consider complaining to Trading Standards?

As he took the fuel back and refunded you, they can't do anything further to help you, but they will log complaints about under measure sales.

As he took the fuel back and refunded you, they can't do anything further to help you, but they will log complaints about under measure sales.

They can, and will, make test purchases following complaints, and they can descend on any supplier at will to recheck equipment looking for broken seals and remeasuring.

With a small error they will normally allow you to make a small adjustment to the fine tuner. A larger error will result in an order to have the pump serviced before they will return and recheck and seal.

George ex nb Alton retired

No I didn't, because he may have made an honest mistake like not zeroing his guage. but didn't want to admit to it. I assume that fuel vendors guages are checked at regular intervals by trading standards. In my case I could not see the guage as my containers were taken around the back of a shed.There was no excuse for the bad language though.

Sounds like he thought he could get away with it being clear un marked (i asuming un marked) containers. As there were no markings its easyer to drop a few L and no one will know.

Honestly unless your reading the gauge and know the tank well if i filled up with diesel apart from my inaccurate but well measured markings i wouldnt know if i get bang on what i asked for at 200L top ups in a 600L tank (think thats about right might be more) i wouldnt be able to tell.

Anyways 5-6L per bottle does sound like something wasnt correct or he was as said trying it on hoping you actually had no way of checking.

Luckly you took a photo of it the day before but most would think this isnt right go home check and be stuffed.

The refund was prob more of a dam got cought heres your money now dont come back so i dont get cought out by you again.

Send a friend in see what they do and if there still low then you know it wasnt a 1 off

Filled up on Tuesday but I could see the pump all the time. 63 ppl.

That sounds unfeasibly cheap. Looks like it might actually be 63p for each 0.8L.

Do Trading Standards ever visit boat diesel retailers checking dispensing equipment calibration, given the minute quantities they sell compared to vehicle forecourts?

I seem to remember some sort of regulation requiring dispensing measuring dials to be in sight of the customer too. Taking containers away for filling in secret is not permissible.

(Edit for all manner of reasons!)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

I always assumed that they were delivering fuel from the boat that is always moored there.

Not necessarily, they have a land based tank around the back of the workshop where you can't see the guage. They get land based customers by road as well.

Filled up on Tuesday but I could see the pump all the time. 63 ppl.

My problem was with fuel dispensed from a land base tank where you could not see the guage. Anyway something good came out of all this as I found cheaper diesel at Shobnall. I took the same containers that I took to Taft Wharf & asked for 25 & 20 litres. The containers filled to the shoulders & the guage read 45Litres confirming I had been diddled at Taft. Martin at Shobnall was most pleasant & said if I had 50 litres it would be 59p/l, so found another container pronto.

That sounds unfeasibly cheap. Looks like it might actually be 63p for each 0.8L.

Do Trading Standards ever visit boat diesel retailers checking dispensing equipment calibration, given the minute quantities they sell compared to vehicle forecourts?

I seem to remember some sort of regulation requiring dispensing measuring dials to be in sight of the customer too. Taking containers away for filling in secret is not permissible.

(Edit for all manner of reasons!)

I can only say that the amount delivered was in line with what I expected. I can't did the tank so go by engine hours x average consumption.

Following from another thread, I wasn't asked for any duty declaration or to sign any form nor did I get a receipt. Not that I asked for one.

I have stopped off at Taft on two or three occasions and usually filled up to the brim.The fill always seemed to be within a few litres of my rough guestimate and I never had reason to question the accuracy of the pump gauge. They were always polite and friendly during the transaction and I can't see any reason for doubting the accuracy of the boat gauge. Can't speak for the accuracy of the farm tank as never used that facility.

I just use fuel boats there not ness the cheapest but i know any funds are going to a good cause keeping trade on the cut.

I'm having difficulty finding fuel boats, I've email one to find their location and haven't had a reply, yesterday I contacted JulesFuels and found they aren't doing it anymore, but I was given a telephone number for her colleague, which didn't 'pick up'. I agree with you Billy about keeping the trade on the cut. We've only been CCing for 2 months and have a lot to learn yet :)

I'm having difficulty finding fuel boats, I've email one to find their location and haven't had a reply, yesterday I contacted JulesFuels and found they aren't doing it anymore, but I was given a telephone number for her colleague, which didn't 'pick up'. I agree with you Billy about keeping the trade on the cut. We've only been CCing for 2 months and have a lot to learn yet smile.png

We used to have a "Fuel Boat Tracking Section" here but looking on the front page, there it is, gone.