gas bottle exchange

Dave Payne

Featured Posts

I need to purchase a gas heater for my shop as its so bloody cold, the actual heaters are cheap enough but don't come with a bottle, so would need to a full bottle of butane, now I have four propane bottles on the boat but really only have two on the go, so two empty ones sitting idle all the time.

Can you buy a bottle of butane and trade in an empty propane with no additional cost?

I need to purchase a gas heater for my shop as its so bloody cold, the actual heaters are cheap enough but don't come with a bottle, so would need to a full bottle of butane, now I have four propane bottles on the boat but really only have two on the go, so two empty ones sitting idle all the time.

Can you buy a bottle of butane and trade in an empty propane with no additional cost?

If we are talking Calor yes.

As long as you keep within their 'groups'.

https://www.calor.co.uk/gas-bottles/buying-gas-bottles/gas-refills-exchanges-returns

Though you will note the groups are basically 'weight' based which might be an issue depending on what you have on the boat to trade in.

Edited by MJG

Most suppliers would exchange a blue one for a red one and the other way around. That's what i did anyway!

Nipper

I wonder whether the regulator could be changed for a propane one so you could use the same gas in both?

I seem to remember that you should not use propane indoors and must use butane.

Just looked on the Calor site and it says "Never use Propane-fuelled appliances inside residential properties" so presumably ok for a separate building such as a workshop.

I seem to remember that you should not use propane indoors and must use butane.

Just looked on the Calor site and it says "Never use Propane-fuelled appliances inside residential properties" so presumably ok for a separate building such as a workshop.

Interesting. I suppose the difference with a boat is that the tank is outside even if the appliance is inside?

Where's the experts - still arguing about sheep? ;)

Do you not have electricity in there? It will be similar cost, far more convenient (i.e. no tons of condensation) and far safer.

I've no idea why blue butane bottles are said to be safe for indoor use while red propane are not. They both have much the same ability to explode and demolish your shop. My guess would be it is because the butane bottle connectors are more idiot-proof than the propane ones so less likely to leak inside the room.

My guess would be it is because the butane bottle connectors are more idiot-proof than the propane ones so less likely to leak inside the room

I doubt it, because the advice to only use Butane indoors definitely predates the point at which the 15Kg Calors changed over to use the clip on style connector, rather than the screw on one.

In fact I can recall that when I converted a cabinet heater to use the clip on rather than screw on connector, Calor simply supplied a conversion that screwed on the the existing regulator, then clipped on to the cylinder. Of course the end result of thi was that it doubled the number of points in the connection that could leak.

I would be very surprised though that if Dave has electricity available that running a fan heater wouldn't workout cheaper. And, as you say, in that way you avoid horrendous condensation.

I pay 20p/1kwh I reckon I would pay about £30/month electric, a fella with a bigger shop than mine on the site claims he used about 2 bottle of gas last winter.

Electric is easier of course, I'm just concerned abut the cost

Given that you know how much an hour it's going to cost to run an electric heater you should be able to figure out your approximate costs and from a customer point of view there is nothing more off putting than a shop whose windows you cannot see through because of condensation plus those customers who wear specs it's a real pain as the moment you walk in the condensation transfers immediately to your glasses so there you are trying to make a purchase......blind, only my opinion of course.

Phil

Edit for errant word

Edited by Phil Ambrose

I pay 20p/1kwh I reckon I would pay about £30/month electric, a fella with a bigger shop than mine on the site claims he used about 2 bottle of gas last winter.

Electric is easier of course, I'm just concerned abut the cost

Does he actually light the thing?

In round numbers those with three settings seem to use about 0.1, 0.2 or 0.3 litres an hour depending on the output you choose.

I make that that you will get about 150 hours running on the lowest setting from a 15Kg cylinder, but only about 50 hours on the highest.

At 8 hours a day (say) that is well under 20 days on the most economic setting and just 6 days if you use it on the highest

Calor are (or at least were) buying back unwanted bottles:

https://www.calor.co.uk/unwanted-calor-bottle-return

Tim

Is solid fuel not an option? I know you have rules and regs regarding the flue etc but it's straight forward enough to get sorted with it and running costs could be ninimal if you can scrap wood and logs to burn.

If we are talking Calor yes.

As long as you keep within their 'groups'.

https://www.calor.co.uk/gas-bottles/buying-gas-bottles/gas-refills-exchanges-returns

Though you will note the groups are basically 'weight' based which might be an issue depending on what you have on the boat to trade in.

My local camping shop quite happily traded a large butane cylinder (ex boat) for a small butane cylinder (more suitable for camping) even though they are in different groups.