Crane vs Slipway

Top cat

Featured Posts

e has a dry dock about a mile from the Barlow. Dont know how dry tthat gets?

These at Stone are very pleasant to work in, they are a lovely piece of history.

Glenn

In terms of 'history' have a look at http://bankhalldrydock.co.uk. Both the History link (I can confirm what a dump it was before they started work) and the brief video. As I understand it the dock drains about 100m parallel to the cut into the nearby River Brun (as it always did) which also takes excess canal water via a large spill weir at the Sandholme aqueduct winding hole. The perspective looks a bit wrong in the video although the dock does comfortably take a wide beam and is now fully covered. Look along the dockside rail and you can see the sluice being operated to empty. Edited by Opener

I think it all depends on what work your having done if you know its going to be out for a long time and your doing the work

crane can be a good option as you can place it very easy where you want it dosnt even need to be near the water

Slip can be good if still out short to long but boat eather near water or have a few boats at same time or keep costs down a bit as apart from a bit of time slips are generally cost free i.e. nothing to hire.

Dock is good for quick work say upto 2-3 weeks normally around 100-200 for the water and around 40-80 a day for use some let you use the dock yourself others will only let there staff use them (you pay for them to do the work)

I think it all depends on what work your having done if you know its going to be out for a long time and your doing the work

crane can be a good option as you can place it very easy where you want it dosnt even need to be near the water

Slip can be good if still out short to long but boat eather near water or have a few boats at same time or keep costs down a bit as apart from a bit of time slips are generally cost free i.e. nothing to hire.

Dock is good for quick work say upto 2-3 weeks normally around 100-200 for the water and around 40-80 a day for use some let you use the dock yourself others will only let there staff use them (you pay for them to do the work)

He is coming out for blacking

Depending on the gradient of the slipway and design of boat there is a risk of water entering fuel tank via tank vent as the boat lifts at the front end. Same goes for any other holes such as exhaust. Solution is to tape up any holes or slip the boat stern first

• Greenie 1

Depending on the gradient of the slipway and design of boat there is a risk of water entering fuel tank via tank vent as the boat lifts at the front end. Same goes for any other holes such as exhaust. Solution is to tape up any holes or slip the boat stern first

When we had our slipped Richard wouldn't do stern first as he said the risk of water ingress through the foredeck drain hole was more dangerous, so we blocked up the exhaust etc.

Steve

We were the last boat to be side slipped launched at Norton Canes in 2000. The hull on sleepers and rollers, a good shove from the trusty fork lift and in it went, tilting over to 40 degrees before righting. Quite an adrenaline rush for the 5 seconds it took! These days a crane does the work, far less exciting!

Dave

I've had three different boats, including Chertsey (72' and riveted), craned with no problems. Of course it depends who does it but any reputable yard will be abiding by H&S rules which are actually pretty onerous and will have a skilled person doing it. I wouldn't let this be the deciding factor, over location and quality of work.

Looks like we'll be using a dry dock for Chertsey's next blacking (because of changed location) and I'm actually not looking forward to it; I like having the boat on the bank with lots of space and air circulation and sun. But I shouldn't knock it until I've tried it I guess.

Edit to return to the OP - there is absolutely no reason the hull on a modern welded 57' boat would flex unless there was already something seriously wrong with it.

Don't agree with your last comment. All steel vessels will flex longitudinally when suspended by slings, more so if the slings are badly positioned i.e. to close together near the centre.

Howard

Don't agree with your last comment. All steel vessels will flex longitudinally when suspended by slings, more so if the slings are badly positioned i.e. to close together near the centre.

Howard

Of course it will flex, it will also flex when its pulled out on the trailer or the water is drained from the dry dock and the weight is taken on the beams

I'm a bit wishing I hadn't read this thread now...

I've arranged for Ellis to be craned out of the water - put on a lorry, driven 90 miles and then craned back in in the 29th of this month... in an ideal world, I'd be able to take the time required off work to bring her home from the builder the "nice way" but as she won't have any heating etc, it'd be a blooming miserable journey anyway at this time of year.

I shall be checking everyone's insurance with a fine tooth comb!

Of course it will flex, it will also flex when its pulled out on the trailer or the water is drained from the dry dock and the weight is taken on the beams

Yes, when I posted that way back I was referring to permanent problems. Though I must say that contrary to Alan's experience we never noticed any problems with cupboards etc on Warrior or Andante when they were out of the water. Though Andante was only little and Warrior is a *very* solidly built boat.

I still would not worry about craning though provided you're using someone skilled and experienced.

Edited by Chertsey

• 6 months later...

Hi

I've been searching the threads before creating my own and I think this is a decent place to ask; I need to get my 27 foot narrowboat out of the water as it has a hole directly under the engine. does anyone have any recommendations for a crane company that can get it out of the water? I will either need it lifted out and left in the yard, or potentially lifted out and transported to a yard 2 or 3 miles from the canal. I'm moored in central Birmingham on BCN, any input appreciated.

I've been slipped, craned and dry docked. The potential for flexing is just as great on a slip as in a sling, as the bogie probably is not much difference in length to a cradle, but you never know where the best point of balance is.  When craned, a good operative will test for best balance whilst the boat is still part in water. I've been in a 'dry' dry dock, and a muddy dry dock. For convenience I now use a yard that cranes, but if he can lift out Joeys and Woolwiches without hassle, I'm quite happy to let him get mine out.

3 hours ago, C.Mack said:

Hi

I've been searching the threads before creating my own and I think this is a decent place to ask; I need to get my 27 foot narrowboat out of the water as it has a hole directly under the engine. does anyone have any recommendations for a crane company that can get it out of the water? I will either need it lifted out and left in the yard, or potentially lifted out and transported to a yard 2 or 3 miles from the canal. I'm moored in central Birmingham on BCN, any input appreciated.

I would go for a crane onto a lorry and then a trip to Martin Kedian of this parish to get it glued up. Even if you use a slip you will probably need lifting to fix it.

On 2017-4-24 at 19:57, ditchcrawler said:

I would go for a crane onto a lorry and then a trip to Martin Kedian of this parish to get it glued up. Even if you use a slip you will probably need lifting to fix it.

Thank you, I will get in touch and see what he says

I've been craned, slipped and gone into dry docks.

I don't think that slipping will flex the hull any less than craning - unless the yard has a particularly long trolley on with regular supports on their slipway. But if the hull is sound it will be fine. The other potential problem with slipping is flooding through vents. My boat came out backwards to remove the prop and the well deck was completely flooded up to a couple of inches under the doors. I was standing in the doorway as the boat came out wondering if the water was going to go over the door lip. 

My preferred option is always a dry dock - no heart in mouth moments. Although these guys did a good job. They used steel cable rather than chains. Tuckeys used big strops at the other end.

Edited by blackrose