usb charging sockets

rustydiver

Featured Posts

I quite like the challenge of the latter plus a bit of metalwork smile.png

Yes, so do I

There are also flush mounted sockets with USB cables and plugs on the end that you can just plug into the second ones. They are quite expensive compared to the others though

Richard

The prices are staggering, given it will actually contain no more electronics than the equivalent item that can be plugged into a car lighter type socket.

I fully understand why this is a neater and better solution, but given you can buy the electronics for under a quid, an extra £24 for what it is mounted in seems excessive!

As has been pointed out elsewhere, if it is permanently illuminated if powered, it probably needs a switch in line as well, making it yet more expensive, and not quite the compact tidy solution it initially looks.

We didn't pay anything like that for them. From memory they were 3 or 4 pound each the ones we bought.

They have been installed a while now and perform as expected. No problems from the at all.

But are not all usb sockets 5V which is needed for iPhones

Everything you wanted to know about charging your iPhone or iPad

Source Voltage Current PC USB 5 volts 0.5 amps iPhone Charger 5 volts 1.0 amps iPad Charger 5.1 volts 2.1 amps

Note that the good vehicle ones will take between 10V and 30V or 40V and give out a regulated 5V, usually at 1A and 2.1A

The socket itself has the circuit built into it - you do not need to feed it 5V.

We didn't pay anything like that for them. From memory they were 3 or 4 pound each the ones we bought.

They have been installed a while now and perform as expected. No problems from the at all.

Yep you don't need to pay that sort of price. This is what I fitted earlier in the year, although I did add a small switch to it so the USB sockets are not permanently powered.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Car-Boat-Dual-Caravan-USB-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-Splitter-Charger-Adapter-/281944555678?hash=item41a534809e

Yep you don't need to pay that sort of price. This is what I fitted earlier in the year, although I did add a small switch to it so the USB sockets are not permanently powered.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Car-Boat-Dual-Caravan-USB-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-Splitter-Charger-Adapter-/281944555678?hash=item41a534809e

Our two in the cockpit are powered through the VHF radio circuit so can be switched off.

The one in the cabin isn't switched. But for what little power it uses keeping a small LED lit it isn't worth worrying about.

These are what you linked to when you posted after fitting them, I did link it earlier http://www.seascrew.com/browse.cfm?s=1451601

The first would involve a whole load more faff.

The 2nd is great, I have one, it doesn't charge my iPad or iPhone 5 but I have heard they work for others.

The first would involve a whole load more faff.

The 2nd is great, I have one, it doesn't charge my iPad or iPhone 5 but I have heard they work for others.

Yes, the first one would need wiring into a USB socket, which is a bit of a faff. Good to hear about the second one

Richard

Its more that the LEDs are piercingly bright at night time, than the worry of power draw. When I installed mine (4x), I put it through a spare circuit on the circuit breaker board so its possible to turn them off if needs be. But since the idea was they stayed on through the night (charge phone at night....) I angled them away so the LED wasn't too bad. I suppose you could snip it off or put a piece of tape over it if you wanted complete blackout conditions.

Its more that the LEDs are piercingly bright at night time, than the worry of power draw. When I installed mine (4x), I put it through a spare circuit on the circuit breaker board so its possible to turn them off if needs be. But since the idea was they stayed on through the night (charge phone at night....) I angled them away so the LED wasn't too bad. I suppose you could snip it off or put a piece of tape over it if you wanted complete blackout conditions.

We cant see ours at night with where they are located. We also tend to charge our phones overnight.

Thanks I've bought one off the round ones to try ill wire it inside the cupboard to hide it. To try it out. O tend to charge mine at night.

I've got a spare 12v cable in the front cupboard where the auto tracking satellite dish wires are which I don't use.

Edited by rustydiver

What would happen if say there was only 10 volts on the input do you think?

I'm unsure. The specs generally state 12-30V so the regulation could be a bit iffy below 12V. It's unlikely to do any harm but it could be that they'd deliver less than 5.0V.

Tony

Its pretty obvious.....at 10V it would still charge the phone up. The danger is when it goes below 5V, then the phone will start charging the boat batteries up!!!

:lol:

So how long will my iPhone power my fridge?