Yet another hydro generator - anyone moor on a river?

DrBurkstrom

Featured Posts

I'm sure this is the 3rd or 4th similar thing I've seen crop up on Kickstarter or similar, they're always about 6" diameter, 5V and designed to go in a backpack. They seem to emerge in a blizzard of excited crowd funding and then vanish.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hyerinster/estream-a-portable-water-power-generator-fits-into

Has anyone who moors regularly where there's a current ever tried hydro generation? I can't imagine it would be difficult to lash up something, wouldn't necessarily need to generate a massive amount if it's doing it 24/7 (unlike solar or wind).

Hm...

I suspect that you would need to be moored in a very fas flowing river for it to work. All the examples show speeds through the water much in excess of the flow in a navigable river in normal circumstances.

You could hang it below the gate paddles, though, and get a quick blast when someone cycles the lock.

What's the betting someone will be along in a minute to suggest trailing it over the stern when cruising?

Nick

Whilst the flow on a navigable river would undoubtedly not be sufficient,you could sit in the saloon with this device on your lap spinning the blades by hand. Alternatively, mount it facing the stove top ecofan and drive it by air blast. Alternatively, put it in the stove and get the maximum available energy out of it as heat.

• Greenie 1

Max hypothetical power ~ 500 A V^3 where A is intercept area of blades and V fluid velocity. All SI units. Unlikely to approach half of that in practice.

Not many boats will see more that 0.5 m/s flow most of the time. Do the sums and then buy a solar panel.

Very often sailing boats have towable 'water generators' that keep the batteries topped up even at modest 'sailing speeds'.

A boat moored next to us has a combined Wind & Water generator, it is on a long (12 foot ish) shaft and when in the upright position is a wind generator, and when lowered down into the water is a 'water generator'

Product name "Duo-Gen"

I believe that it produces 300w at 6.25 knots water speed.

ECL015-2.jpg?1415645655

Edit to Add :

Cost is a 'bit high' at around £3000+ but does allow freedom to 'cross the Atlantic' without worrying about fuel / running the engine to charge your batteries

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Very often sailing boats have towable 'water generators' that keep the batteries topped up even at modest 'sailing speeds'.

A boat moored next to us has a combined Wind & Water generator, it is on a long (12 foot ish) shaft and when in the upright position is a wind generator, and when lowered down into the water is a 'water generator'

Product name "Duo-Gen"

I believe that it produces 300w at 6.25 knots water speed.

ECL015-2.jpg?1415645655

Edit to Add :

Cost is a 'bit high' at around £3000+ but does allow freedom to 'cross the Atlantic' without worrying about fuel / running the engine to charge your batteries

I knew about towable water generators for sailing boats, but a dual purpose one is new to me! I'd thought the prop design would have to be completely different to get the best out of both? Maybe the high cost is for an adjustable prop!

Obviously something like that even for people who moor where there's some flow is never going to trouble the solar industry, but I'd be strongly tempted to try some experiments.

If you hung it over the stern it could generate the power to charge a battery which could power a motor which could turn the prop...

We obey the laws of thermodynamics on this forum angry.png

Richard

I knew about towable water generators for sailing boats, but a dual purpose one is new to me! I'd thought the prop design would have to be completely different to get the best out of both? Maybe the high cost is for an adjustable prop!

Obviously something like that even for people who moor where there's some flow is never going to trouble the solar industry, but I'd be strongly tempted to try some experiments.

Whilst I havn't discussed it with them in any detail - I have the feeling that the prop is on a simple spline, slide it off, and put a 'windmill' prop on, or when towing, slide off the windmill and put on 'conventional' looking boat prop.

Solar is really the only way to go but you do need t be a bit further South than the UK to get maximum effect.

Here is a relatively new idea that has proved sufficiently rugged, but still in the 'expensive' phase.

................A new development is the extremely flexible giant solar panels that can be attached to sails, or even incorporated into the laminate. The durability of this technology was demonstrated at the end of last year by Daniel Ecalard, who used a pair of 3m2 panels near the head of his mainsail to provide the electrical needs of his Open 50, Defi Martinique, during last year’s Route du Rhum race.

During the race the system stood up to a gale in the Bay of Biscay, in which ten per cent of the fleet retired, and survived the 25-day Atlantic crossing, during which Ecalard logged 4,677 miles, intact.

The system, named PowerSails, was developed by Alain Janet, owner of UK Sailmakers France. Each square metre of the panel is capable of generating 100 watts and, according to Janet, does not need direct sunlight to generate electricity: “In fact, the panels on the sail opposite the sun will generate 30-40 per cent of their maximum output with the indirect and reflected light,” he says.

These panels are made from film that’s 65 microns thick and weighs 100 grammes per square metre. This technology can also be used in other applications – a cockpit bimini shade, for instance, that could generate 1kW on a 50ft yacht.

Prices start at around £700 per square metre of panel, though this is expected to fall as production increases.
Dehler39_PV_HR.jpg

We obey the laws of thermodynamics on this forum angry.png

Richard

well I for one request an exception to forum rules in that case.

it is none of Dan's business if I obey these laws that were drafted centuries ago. and are well outdated by quantum physics and the like.

If you hung it over the stern it could generate the power to charge a battery which could power a motor which could turn the prop...

Fantastic! No fuel bills. I get my electric for nowt too. I use the inverter to run the battery charger.

N

Edited by Theo