bought historic boat going to replate overplate

kevin123

Featured Posts

I'd definitely replate not overplate. Sometimes it CAN work out cheaper. If the inside is relatively gutted. Figures for this are way off though, as others have mentioned, the shape will increase the cost considerably whether replating or over plating.

Dan

the replating shouldnt be too much as iv got my own fabrication company so they should be able to do with coded welders mpi testing etc so just cost of plate for me luckly but ill get survey carried out first i think but 100mm bottom 6 mm sides is the norm i take it

Edited by kevin123

the replating shouldnt be too much as iv got my own fabrication company so they should be able to do with coded welders mpi testing etc so just cost of plate for me luckly but ill get survey carried out first i think but 100mm bottom 6 mm sides is the norm i take it

10mm bottom will be more than sufficient captain.gif

edit = I would be surprised if SLOUGH does have its original bottom as 'British Waterways' re-bottomed and re-footed most of these boats in the 1950's. This would make the current bottom and footings 60ish years old, so well overdue for replacement - and tearing holes in the bottom plates bares this out.

It would be a great shame if SLOUGH were to be overplated, especially if you have the facilities to re-plate it properly.

and welcome to the Forum, not to mention 'historic' boat ownership captain.gif

Edited by pete harrison

Well that makes it all look less of a problem then...

But if its still a 100mm bottom it will be elm, and I'll be impressed if even your coded guys can weld it!

Maybe coded welders know better than I, but I'd have thought for replating the ideal would be to replace like-for-like. I'll accept 100mm was a typo and you meant 10mm - these are specs of a typical modern narrowboat, not necessarily your boat. Any increase, while having advantages, would require ballast adjustments (and you might run out of adjustment, meaning draft increases) and with the dimensions of the boat, I'd have thought its worth avoiding an avoidable increase in draft.

Id very strongly recommend Trevor Whitling as a surveyor.....if you are selling then maybe not :) but having purchased you definitely want to know everything that is wrong with your new boat and Trevor is your man :)

Very good luck with her and welcome :)

Ive just bought a boat myself after many years away from the cut and really enjoying it again :)

well willl set of in 30 mins see what iv got my self into :) , i found out the boat was with the buttie slinford dont know if its still around also do you know if the boat was red with blue outline , or dark blue with light blue outline would like to repaint as near as possible these seam to be the colours iv found out about it regards kevin

well willl set of in 30 mins see what iv got my self into smile.png , i found out the boat was with the buttie slinford dont know if its still around also do you know if the boat was red with blue outline , or dark blue with light blue outline would like to repaint as near as possible these seam to be the colours iv found out about it regards kevin

It might be better to ask these questions in the History and Heritage section of this Forum, and keep this thread maintenance related captain.gif

A lot of people are making a lot of assumptions about this boat. Kevin, I suggest you get it out of the water and surveyed and take a lot of pictures, and then get advice based on that.

Edited by Tiggs

Any increase, while having advantages, would require ballast adjustments (and you might run out of adjustment, meaning draft increases) and with the dimensions of the boat, I'd have thought its worth avoiding an avoidable increase in draft.

I disagree.

If you are re-bottoming one of these, even though it would not be "as built", it would be highly unusual to do it in the original thickness.

These boats, being 72-ish feet long are enormously buoyant, even when converted, and usually need huge amounts of ballast to get them down to a sensible point in the water (we have enormous amounts of standard gauge railway line under the floors to achieve this).

There should be no issues at all about achieving a sensible draught, simply by removing the right amount of ballast, (assuming it is not currently poured concrete!).

The fact that the OP has his own welding facility should massively increase his chances of getting this sorted - a fact not disclosed when he first posted, and hopefully meaning he can achieve it at very much less than it would cost most of us. (Not sure I quite understand the "only the cost of the plate" comment though - don't coded welders need paying, even if you run the business?)

hi guys seen boat looking at the side of the hull looks about 8mm plate round the back is 12mm coiuldnt tell the base but seam resonbly thick felt under the bottom of the boat but not the usual flat plate it had like a bump guard round the bottom edge , it looks like it has been part plated before as no rivits only at the ends of boat , at the miniute draft is about 18' mayby 2' but it has no engine in it and is quite empty 3 water tanks stainless steel 250 lts each empty at present , it designed to carry about 28 ton , felt along boat underwater line few pits no much anti fouling , the boat as only ever had 12v power , under the decks like mentioned above seen some rail as ballast , there was small amount of water in engine room but pump is working clearing this out, as there is no engine only prop shaft when i moved there is a brass joint and a small trickle of water came from that iv been told when engine is put back and the seal (like oily rope ) that should stop that , hull on inside took up a few boards looked solid enough but like said above will get survey done , as im no expert , yes should be low cost labour wise this is a project myself and son will carry out most of the work (more like my son lol ) , seen the engine runs fine standing in his garden started of battery not on any mountings as such but no rocking about sounded fine ,thanks again for advise came in handy when i looked at boat gave me something to look for , it will need work which i thought it would but hopefully with a bit of tlc i will get there , fingers crossed with the inspection , ill post in history and heritage section from now as you have helped me and thank you all for your comments

Edited by kevin123

well willl set of in 30 mins see what iv got my self into smile.png , i found out the boat was with the buttie slinford dont know if its still around also do you know if the boat was red with blue outline , or dark blue with light blue outline would like to repaint as near as possible these seam to be the colours iv found out about it regards kevin

I think paint is a long way off, but for inspiration the original livery for SLOUGH should look like this:

post-7931-0-57229100-1471808273_thumb.jpg

edit = copyright to Peter Oates and Laura Sturrock

SLOUGH and SLINFOLD were only an intended pairing, and I have not seen any evidence that they were actually paired at any time. The last note I have for SLINFOLD is 21 November 1965 when it was at Cowley Tip being used as a rubbish boat. I can hazard a strong educated guess where it ended up captain.gif

Edited by pete harrison

Well that makes it all look less of a problem then...

But if its still a 100mm bottom it will be elm, and I'll be impressed if even your coded guys can weld it!

It doesn't have an elm bottom

Richard

i looked at the boat the owner had removed the paint he said it was yellow and blue carnt remeber wording but that was the colour when it was sold after i believe 1954 i will get details of him next week but looked at the boat and under all the layers it was red so i thought it mite be the the red and navy blue as i read the blue was a war time colour , the chap iv bought it of was born on the canals and showed me pictures of him as a child with his parents all living in a buttie , he seams to know a lot of people and history on the canals , he told me the boat used to go up into the potteries , ill get the name of the livery he said juring the week, no it is all steel bottom in side you can see rivits but not out side so i assume its been plated

Edited by kevin123

thanks will take on board thats another job :clapping: lol regards kev

If you can bring skills and materials to this boat, you could be the ideal new owner

Take her out the water and into a workshop where you can do the necessary cutting out and repairs

And good luck with your restoration work

Richard

Fenny ( town class motor ) had an emergency ( grit blast found bits under 4mm ) overplate last year in 5mm plate to the whole bottom, emergency in that it was 2 weeks before we left the country. It was nearly 5 figures including 2 pack and some welding up of pits on the side. Had I had time I would have blacked her put her back in and then had a fuller independant survey,as I think we went over the top And overplated some bits unnecessarily. I would also have cut out in places. This is not a reflection on the boatyard who I was more than happy with , more of our state of mind need to get to Australia for work and multiple deaths in the family, affecting thought.

When we started boating this year her draft at the back was massive and we moved over a ton of ballast to the front and removed more. 5mm over a boat is a lot of weight. She is now back to a more acceptable draft but of course only has a 6 ft conversion. I recon with counter flat on you will be about 3'2. And get everywhere....slowly. She now has a minimum of two bottoms, in places 3 (keelson still there )and at the bow 4, as three reported in 2011 survey. You can never have enough..

i looked at the boat the owner had removed the paint he said it was yellow and blue carnt remeber wording but that was the colour when it was sold after i believe 1954 i will get details of him next week but looked at the boat and under all the layers it was red so i thought it mite be the the red and navy blue as i read the blue was a war time colour , the chap iv bought it of was born on the canals and showed me pictures of him as a child with his parents all living in a buttie , he seams to know a lot of people and history on the canals , he told me the boat used to go up into the potteries , ill get the name of the livery he said juring the week, no it is all steel bottom in side you can see rivits but not out side so i assume its been plated

You are fortunate in that SLOUGH has a known history, and during its working life it would have carried all of the colours you mention above captain.gif

edit = the only bits of SLOUGH that MIGHT HAVE ORIGINAL / OLD PAINT are the fore end top bends. Everything else has been replaced as a part of its conversion to an inspection boat..

Edited by pete harrison

yep any info is good thanks although im a bit away from painting yet :) , i think the motor is good enough it says it is 55hp and also it is the original motor that was with the boat , fist of all im arranging to collect it transport by road to my works then have it inspected to find out all the problem ,im contacting tony cullenmore if he can lift it for me the old owner said he will get it towed there for me

yep any info is good thanks although im a bit away from painting yet :) , i think the motor is good enough it says it is 55hp and also it is the original motor that was with the boat , fist of all im arranging to collect it transport by road to my works then have it inspected to find out all the problem ,im contacting tony cullenmore if he can lift it for me the old owner said he will get it towed there for me

Forget the HP, an HA3 is ideal for this boat, if anything it is too big

Richard