Boat engine over heating

Ianmc

Featured Posts

As Neil said, it could be the thermostat stuck closed. If you remove it, you can test it by putting in in a saucepan of water, heat the water & it should open at the temperature stamped on it. You will need a thermometer to do this test. You could try running the engine without the thermostat and see if it cures the problem.

Edited by Flyboy

Is the expansion tank cap a pressure release one gone faulty?

The one we had on our LPWS3 was a Leyland affair like this:

It had the ability to release pressure if it got too high. Has your gone faulty?

Because of where it was sited I spilt coolant when changing every couple of years or so.

I replaced it with a larger Renault one:

You can get different colour caps depending upon pressure.

Failing that it may be head gasket as mentioned above. Have you "mayonnaise" on the underside of your oil filler cap?

Edited by Ray T

No white gunk in oil,so that rules out head gasket failure,I'll try thermostat if that fails I'll buy new tank,

No white gunk in oil,so that rules out head gasket failure,I'll try thermostat if that fails I'll buy new tank,

you may have an airlock in your skin tank (common fault), you may have a sticking thermostat, you may have an airlock somewhere else in your water system(common fault). Is this happening when the boat is doing long pounds, or all the time, when doing locks etc??

Just merged the three topics with the same title.

I hope that the result makes sense!

Theo

Thanks to the kind people who reported.

Theo

Matty,how do I check for air locks,it over heats ,I fill expansion tank up and after a few minutes water has all gone and engine over heats and stops

The water disappears in moments sounds like its leaking or there is an air lock and it needs topping up more. Dose it disappears when the engine is started from cold just as quickly ?

Not so.

I have had a boat diesel with significant failure of the head gasket, and there was no white gunk in the oil.

I think it probably depends on the nature of the failure, but a gasket could fail around one of the points that water passes through it without it necessarily ending up in the oil, surely?

However I would suspect air lock, or water pump not being spun properly before assuming more serious possibilities.

Matty,how do I check for air locks,it over heats ,I fill expansion tank up and after a few minutes water has all gone and engine over heats and stops

It must be going somewhere - is the expansion tank completely empty ? Is coolant leaking out somewhere e.g calorifier connections out of sight ?

How do you know it's overheating ? Temp gauge or warning light ?

I'd be tempted to take off the top hose to the skin tank at the exhaust manifold near to exhaust pipe, and see if there is water there.

Good luck!

As Jonathan says above, it must be going somewhere.

We've ruled out going into the oil, so...

It's going into the bore and out the exhaust as steam or...

It's going into the bilge.

So if the bulge isn't filling up it has to be a head gasket, surely.

So if the bulge isn't filling up it has to be a head gasket, surely.

Sounds like my waistline!

A wild-card, but is there a calorifier that is in the boat cabin space rather than in the engine area?

If so, if there were a leaking connection to that water could be going into a cabin bilge rather than the engine one. Unlikely, but possible.

Sounds like my waistline!

Mine too. Must have been Freudian.

I had a VW Golf do this. It was a cracked cylinder head that was blowing in to the water channels and pushing the water out!

In which case it'd be in the bilge. Or bulge. ;)

I've just took thermostat housing off and there wasn't a thermostat to be seen,so that's the problem solved hopefully.

I've just took thermostat housing off and there wasn't a thermostat to be seen,so that's the problem solved hopefully.

Unlikely. No thermostat is usually a sign of folk engineering. 'It's overheating' - 'take the thermostat out'. 'it's still overheating - hello - hello?'

Richard