Bargees Complain about Schooling Problems

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

A 100% increase on 'zero' is still 'zero'.

Eh? I think you are confusing the mathematical principle of 100% of zero is still zero and the premise of whatever they pay is 100% more than they were paying before, but thanks.

Eh? I think you are confusing the mathematical principle of 100% of zero is still zero and the premise of whatever they pay is 100% more than they were paying before, but thanks.

Nice try. But you yourself defined the original as zero.

Because CaRT would have to persuade the local Council to grant Planning Permission to allow it . . .

CaRT would not have to persuade the local Councils to grant planning permission for simply establishing offside moorings. Use of the banks for mooring is an integral part of the canal’s function, so there is no ‘change of use’ involved.

Only if there was serious infrastructure would there be building work possibly requiring consent, as of course would residential or commercial use of the moorings. But mooring itself requires no planning permission; BW fought this point before the Planning Inspectorate back in 2006/7, and won the case.

http://kanda.boatingcommunity.org.uk/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/http___www.pcs_.planningportal.gov_.uk_pcsportal_fscdav_READONLY_OBJCOO.2036.300.2.6228648NAME_Decision.pdf

Of course, they only fought the issue on that occasion because it was their tenant that was being targeted with enforcement; other times they have ignored this precedent and argued before the Inspectorate that moorings should not be allowed, when they themselves didn’t want particular people to moor against property not in their ownership. But the precedent remains.

• Greenie 2

My issue is this

1. your sat there paying say 3k a year to moor on a towpath or even opposite side with access so you can get your children to school and go to work then when you can you go boating for a few weeks come back carry on (no problem)

2. Your sat ther for 14 days move off and tie up leave the boat go to work travel or what ever at your own expense. Come back or move 14 days later and slowly travel round the system. (No problem)

3. No fam 3 turn up stat ranting that they cant afford to buy a mooring so are forced to have a cc licance make such a complaint and start throwing laws and rights at crt so they grant them a mooring just behind fam 1 for free or for a very low fee say 500 a year.

Now the solution is solved is it not? Except how angry would you be. Unfortunately its the same as what happens with houses you pay full wack and the person 2 doors down coz they know the system and cant be assed to get a job get the house for next to nothing drives me mad! (I know there can be propper circumstances for houses as well.)

Yeah oh hang on, some have never lived in houses, you do know that don't you?

How common is that nowadays? There must be very, very few people who have lived their entire lives on boats. Is there anyone on this forum who has done so?

The obvious solution is for CaRT to provide a taxi from anywhere on the system to convey anyones child to the school of the boaters choice.

Why should they? Surely you are not suggesting that boaters are so feeble-minded and disorganised that they can't even order a taxi without help from CART?

Why should they? Surely you are not suggesting that boaters are so feeble-minded and disorganised that they can't even order a taxi without help from CART?

Athy, I do worry about you sometimes. ;)

How common is that nowadays? There must be very, very few people who have lived their entire lives on boats. Is there anyone on this forum who has done so?

Boats are not the only alternatives to houses. I think the key word is 'traveller' in the name of the campaigning group

Richard

Are you suggesting that you should be just allowed to 'dump' your boat for 5 weeks because you are too busy to move it ?

No, I'm not, and neither is anyone else. I was making the point that in fact you can't do this as the law requires you to move every 14 days, so, as I had a lot on I put it in a marina. ............

Maybe badly written, or my bad interpretation, but my 'take' from your post :-

"One of the results of this bit of the policy being effectively enforced is that Lutine is in Fenny Compton Marina for 5 weeks because I don't have time to move her at all"

is that the reason that Lutine was in a marina was because of the enforcement of the law, and by implication, if there was no effective enforcement she would not be there.

Boats are not the only alternatives to houses. I think the key word is 'traveller' in the name of the campaigning group

Richard

If it wasn't for the fact that they appear to want to do anything other than travel I would be inclined to agree. Or on second thoughts I do agree but they don't seem to have noticed they are called travellers.

Athy, I do worry about you sometimes. wink.png

Your concern is most touching.

But what are you on about? With the current widespread rise in mobile phone ownership, boaters should be able to ring for a taxi even if they're in remote spots, so long as there's a road nearby. It could be an expensive way of conveying children to and from school - though I do remember some pupils arriving by cab at the various schools in which I taught, so there are some people who do it.

Richard

Perhaps they are interpreting what "traveller" means in the same way they interpret the legislation applicable to CRT?

Perhaps they are interpreting what "traveller" means in the same way they interpret the legislation applicable to CRT?

Now, to me, 'Traveller' has a very specific meaning. Probably due to my age

Richard

Now, to me, 'Traveller' has a very specific meaning. Probably due to my age

Richard

Same with me, and also with the wording of the legislation.

Having spent a large part of my career reading and applying contracts and writing specifications I have a very clear understanding of the meaning of most words!

You must have a different definition of baby boomer to the one I grew up with! I thought I was a baby boomer and I am well past middle age.

I'm a 1955 model, don't know if that makes me a baby boomer or not.

But what I do know is that the older I get the more I realise how lucky I have been in life and I'm certainly not going to vent my spleen on those in a less fortunate position than me.

• Greenie 3

Both of the above, but also in its purest seense, a person who moves from place to place ☺

Having spent a large part of your career reading and applying contracts and writing specifications, you'll notice my use of a capital T in Traveller

Richard