Buying less than 3 year old boat, survey?

Luuu

Featured Posts

Hello,

We're just about to enter the world of boating and this is my first post, no doubt there will be many more as we are complete novices.

We found a boat we'd like to buy which was built in the autumn of 2013. Should we get a survey before we buy it?

Many thanks for your help!

It depends on your knowledge level.

Some would not bother - they would look at it and be able to tell the condition.

Just remember that a survey has no guarantees and no come-back on the surveyor, it is just an indication of the thoughts of an 'expert' (surveyors do not need any qualifications to call themselves surveyors)

As you can (maybe) tell I have been 'bitten in the bum' a time or two using surveyors.

Another issue :

As the boat is less than 5 years old ensure that it has ALL THE CORRECT RCD PAPERWORK (compliance with specifications etc) as it is illegal to sell a boat less than 5 years old without it.

A boat without the paperwork may be just as well built as one with the paperwork, but the 'risks' devalue the boat considerably (maybe 33% +)

Thank you for your quick replies.

The builder is David Clarke and it has been in a marina.

The engine bilge is a bit rusty so the seller recommended painting it.

Thanks for information regarding paperwork!

If it has a galvanic isolator fitted I'd check it still functions and if it did I maybe would not bother with a survey - especially if it was mentioned as installed in from new in the RCD paperwork.

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/galvanic_isolator

Otherwise I'd just have the hull surveyed, in fact I'd prob. do it myself, just to check that it has not been subject to galvanic erosion as Richard T says.

It's not hard to find a cheap metal thickness detector and I have a hammer, a wire brush and an inspection lamp.

After seeing a brand new boat going in and a 1 year old boat out this month with serious blacking deficiencies and rusting already, you would be well advised to get a survey if you don't know what you are looking for. Dave Clarke is a well respected hull builder, however, if the owner hasn't bothered with maintenance, then thats not a good start for it.

[quote Hello,

We're just about to enter the world of boating and this is my first post, no doubt there will be many more as we are complete novices.

We found a boat we'd like to buy which was built in the autumn of 2013. Should we get a survey before we buy it?

Many thanks for your help!

You say that you are complete novices and in that case I would get a survey done. A lot can happen in three years in a marine environment and this is probably the most expensive thing you will buy apart from property. Get a full survey, not just a hull thickness report and if there are any defects you can either get the seller to correct them or negotiate a reduced price for the boat. Given what has happened over the last month I would be looking to offer less than the asking price anyway as buyers are going to be scarce.

Full boat surveys are a waste of time and money.

The only thing worth paying for is an out of the water hull condition survey. Particularly if the builder is a reputable one.

For anything else a good knowledgable boater as a second pair of eyes is as good as anything. It might cost you in beer tokens though.

All in my own opinion of course.

Full boat surveys are a waste of time and money.

The only thing worth paying for is an out of the water hull condition survey. Particularly if the builder is a reputable one.

For anything else a good knowledgable boater as a second pair of eyes is as good as anything. It might cost you in beer tokens though.

All in my own opinion of course.

I agree with with this.

The surveyor is not going to spot things wrong with the engine, pipes, insulation and wiring just by looking at the boat.

I agree with with this.

The surveyor is not going to spot things wrong with the engine, pipes, insulation and wiring just by looking at the boat.

They also are averse to 'dismantling' things.

If our surveyor had 'dismantled' our bed aka as 'lift the mattress' and shone a torch he might have spotted the leaking pump out tank.

Of course the very obvious things like a couple of kitchen cupboard doors catching was tremendously helpful.

They also are averse to 'dismantling' things.

If our surveyor had 'dismantled' our bed aka as 'lift the mattress' and shone a torch he might have spotted the leaking pump out tank.

Of course the very obvious things like a couple of kitchen cupboard doors catching was tremendously helpful.

Depends on the surveyor, mine (Craig Allen), took off parts of the skirting to check the lower insulation, lifted part of the floor to inspect the cabin bilge, removed the mattress to inspect the waste tank under the bed, ran the engine in gear for an hour, tested the bow thruster, heating, gas, charging and inverter systems. This in addition to removing main and bow thruster weed hatches. He also threw in a free BSS certificate.

I guess that all surveyors are different, which is why it pays to get one recommended by this forum.

Surveyors get a lot of flak on this forum: it would be rather more balanced if such views were reserved for poor surveyors.

If you know nothing about boats, mechanics, electrics and/or general engineering standards you should find someone who does to help you with the purchase. In the absence of a capable friend, a well recommended independent surveyor is a sensible choice.

Be wary of using one recommended by the vendor, particularly if the vendor is a broker who actually also owns the boat and hides this fact, which one or two do.

Buying a boat entails some risk, and you should mitigate that risk to a level you are comfortable with. I probably wouldn't have a survey on such a young boat unless, as others suggest, I had reasons to suspect the hull needed checking out of the water. Then again, I am a naval engineer and would be checking everything I could both to ensure all equipment worked as intended and for signs of poor build or neglect. From your post, it doesn't sound like you are confident enough or suitably qualified to do that, so you should enlist appropriate help.

My internal survey revealed a small leak from the fuel tank and that the water heater flue didn't fully evacuate combustion gases. Two things worth knowing every bit as much as anything about the hull.

I would recommend a full survey unless the buyer is looking at the low price end of the market and will have surplus funds post-purchase.

The saving from excluding the internal elements won't be great.

JP

Bought two boats one with a survey one without at 3 years old its ready to come out for blacking anyway. So mark 1 eyeballs will tell straight away if anything is amiss with the hull. The rest I would be tempted with a boaty friend and yourself looking it over. After reading my first survey it seemed a bit vague in places and the small print was a get out of jail free card. As others have said make sure RCD paperwork is present and correct. I dont know about values dipping, Ian at New and used boat co cant sell enough boats, so take the brexit hint with a pinch of salt. Good boats with a sensible price, will always sell, against a bag of nails with cloud cuckoo land prices, its how it is