One for the Estate Agents amongst us.

junior

Featured Posts

WoW - if they can ask 95K for that, then ours is certainly worth a hellva lot more than what we paid for it 3 years ago...

not that we're looking at selling, but if we do, I think we'll take a cruise down to the big smoke before putting it on the market icecream.gif

London is obviously the place to sell boats - one I looked at years ago, had a survey done and it was basically condemned by the surveyor - it was bought, transported to London where I believe it is on the rental market with very little work having been done!

I can't help wondering if the buyer had an eyepatch and a parrot on their shoulder!

Am I missing something? The boat has obviously been cleared of most of the owner's furniture and clobber, but it looks spacious and in good condition. Allowing for the fact that most sellers overprice their boats in the first instance to allow themselves some room for bargaining, is £95,000 so much over the top?

In the pictures it is moored on the public moorings at Paddington. So is this £95k for the boat only?

Almost certainly. I would think at least a one would be in front of the quoted price if there was a mooring attached.

George ex nb Alton retired

Am I missing something? The boat has obviously been cleared of most of the owner's furniture and clobber, but it looks spacious and in good condition. Allowing for the fact that most sellers overprice their boats in the first instance to allow themselves some room for bargaining, is £95,000 so much over the top?

It's certainly optimistic, even for London, which is why I assume it's being marketed by estate agents rather than through the usual channels. I'm mostly intrigued as to how they're going to handle the continuous cruising aspect when they're advertising it as being in Broadway Market!

It's certainly optimistic, even for London, which is why I assume it's being marketed by estate agents rather than through the usual channels. I'm mostly intrigued as to how they're going to handle the continuous cruising aspect when they're advertising it as being in Broadway Market!

I don't think they'll 'handle' it in any way.

Any enquiries about the right to moor there will result in them saying 'we normally sell houses so we don't know. Ask your solicitor for advice on this', I predict. Give them a call an see if you're curious enough!

Almost certainly. I would think at least a one would be in front of the quoted price if there was a mooring attached.

Which makes the add 'incorrect' (fraudulent?) because it includes a location. For £95k you are getting a thing, not a place!

Which makes the add 'incorrect' (fraudulent?) because it includes a location. For £95k you are getting a thing, not a place!

But if they don't tell you where the thing is, how are you going to go and view it?

True but they're going to have field a lot of enquiries from people who think that it's at a mooring. Also as it must be a cruising boat the estate agent is going to have to travel further and further to let people in for viewings...

True but they're going to have field a lot of enquiries from people who think that it's at a mooring. Also as it must be a cruising boat the estate agent is going to have to travel further and further to let people in for viewings...

Surely the point is they are fishing for some dope to buy it who fails to ask 'that question', and just buys it assuming it can stay there indefinitely.

Surely the point is they are fishing for some dope to buy it who fails to ask 'that question', and just buys it assuming it can stay there indefinitely.

Possibly, we've met people who bought a boat moored to a lock mooring, thinking that's where it could be kept, only a little day boat, but still......

When someone clicks on the "Market Info" tab to see "similar nearby properties" and sees that the first one is a one-bed flat at £425,000 with only 491 sq ft (a bit less than the boat!) they may realise that the boat must have a catch. Hackney has come up a bit in the world since I last went there 35 years ago to visit some friends who'd rented a big old house. They must have got it cheaply because I don't think they had much money.

BOAST (I cringe at the use of this word - but agents love it!) - that's the word! Where does it BOAST a secure mooring.

If it has a secure mooring then the agent has missed a trick by omitting to say so in the headlines.

Caveat emptor!

BOAST (I cringe at the use of this word - but agents love it!) - that's the word! Where does it BOAST a secure mooring.

If it has a secure mooring then the agent has missed a trick by omitting to say so in the headlines.

Caveat emptor!

it doesnt have a mooring, but estate agents website have no option for inputting something without a location and their ads get shared with the likes of Zoopla and Rightmove which are also location based searches. Will they have to change the listing every fortnight?

it doesnt have a mooring, but estate agents website have no option for inputting something without a location and their ads get shared with the likes of Zoopla and Rightmove which are also location based searches. Will they have to change the listing every fortnight?

Not if its a CC er in London with a 6 months licence