Anyone used a scabbler

Featured Posts

Hi

I am going to be painting my roof soon and I would like to take it back to bare metal ,at the moment it as got anti slip on the roof but I want to go for a smooth finish. As anyone used a scabbler with success does it mark or score the metal how long would it take to strip a 70ft roof with one of these machines.

Thanks

I also saw one of these machines in the hire shop and wondered if this would do the job as well

post-13553-0-31636100-1466598474_thumb.jpg

post-13553-0-73736900-1466598826_thumb.jpg

I have used the tool in the right hand piccy. I used it for the removal of many layers of blacking. Although heavy, it did a good job. Wrap up well, it gets everywhere.

I have heard it's very effective on a roof. My advice, go for it.

Martyn

With either tool beware of vibration white finger. Have a break every half hour or less.

A scabbler is very effective but best with carbide tèeth. Used by many painters.

N

Looks like a good beast !

I have a LOT of external paintwork needing doing but had thought about a big grit blast job. Do let us know how you get on with it as it looks interesting ! Plenty of ppe methinks

I wonder about the noise level as well and if it acceptable in a residential area :unsure:

I have one of the tools in the left hand picture. I am hoping to strip my roof later in the year. Refina sugested c2 or c4 cutters as being ok for removing paint on nb roof. The tool on the right looks like a bit of a monster! I would have to get my fillings checked after using that! rolleyes.gif

Edited by Plonk

Beware of blasting the cabin. Apart from the mess, blasting can compress the surface of the steel. Unless you have an unusually thick cabin this will result in your cabin irrevocably changing shape, developing waves and ripples and generally looking a mess when shiny again. That is why thin plate is sold pickled and primed, not blasted and primed as for thicker steel.

Make sure you get an experienced blaster and that he uses a very gentle blast medium- not copper slag or chilled cast iron grit!

N

Scabblers are very good for large area stripping of multiple layers of paint and non slip.

The whole roof should take no more than 2 hours if your mushrooms and everything else is removed first.

Take care in corners, and make sure you stay above it, trying to use it from the side will result in it bouncing around and trying to fly off!!

The roof will still need sanding to a paintable surface afterwards.

I used one similar to one on the left. Did a great job on the roof, many layers of ancient paint, couple of hours (hire period less than a day, if you get all the mushrooms etc off the roof first). Wouldn't like to use one on a vertical surface. I used a 2 kw generator (110v) with no problems. If you plan to use a builders type 110v transformer check the power rating of your 240 v supply, the start current surge is quite high. Finish off round the edges etc with an angle grinder and a 'clean off' disk.

Because mac of cygnet it will be a diy project and I will achieve a better finish in smooth rather than textured. And for the few times I go on the roof it's not worth making a mess of it. I should imagine it will be easier to keep clean as well as I think a gritted surface looks scruffier as it gets older

Our cabin top has been painted with unsanded raddle red since the boat was built. I'm happy to step or jump on it to walk back to the tiller in downhill locks is I'm boating alone, ot to stand on there to yield a shaft if necessary. A quip mop off keeps it tidy...

Dave