Smart phone speed app

warwickshireman

Featured Posts

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/garmin-etrex-10-sports-gps-handheld-gps-navigation-computer-for-outdoors-n98kb

You can plot waypoints which means you can have an ETA to next waypoint. it gives you track, averages, max speed, trip totals along with a fair bit more data.

Not an essential bit of kit but good fun to have onboard.

I wouldn't entertain using my phone for the same function, I hate the bloody thing!

Ours is a much older model BTW.

Edited by gazza

I am in the same boat. Try GPS data. it's just an app to show what info the GPS is providing but it does give a raw speed. Look on the 'info' tab. App is free. It needs a good signal (clear sky) or the position jumps around. It may not read zero when stationary, but you can test it by walking in a straight line.

The most I use the phone for is calls, texts, a bit of Internet and the camera.

I would rather a separate unit like the etrex we have dedicated to the job than faff with a device I don't really like but that's just me :)

Edited by gazza

I've just bought my first (android) smartphone. I've been looking for an app that will give me my current speed to a tenth of a mph for both boating and walking. Haven't found one. Any suggestions?

I found this problem when looking for a speed app for the BCN Challenge. I didn't find an app that would work in the low speeds needed.

I'm not sure if the issue is the app, or the ability of the 'phone to measure such low speeds

There are lots of speed apps, just not ones suitable for 0-5 MPH

Richard

The most I use the phone for is calls, texts, a bit of Internet and the camera.

I would rather a separate unit like the etrex we have dedicated to the job than faff with a device I don't really like but that's just me smile.png

I have an older Etrex, but much prefer the phone. I haven't had a smartphone for long, but tend to have it in my pocket most of the time, whereas the GPS is somewhere on the boat.

I have an older Etrex, but much prefer the phone. I haven't had a smartphone for long, but tend to have it in my pocket most of the time, whereas the GPS is somewhere on the boat.

I only use the etrex on the boat, never used it for walking. On the boat my phone is tucked away and used infrequently.

I am well aware I will be a dinosaur with tech, screaming and kicking is a good image for me!

:cheers:

Trouble with phone gps is it does tend to hammer the battery. No problem on a boat as you can plug it in.

I use a Holux GPSport 245 as it came with software to geotag photos from digital cameras without GPS, but you must make sure they both are set to exactly the same time. Easy to read in bright sunlight and the battery will last all day. But it is not the most friendly to use device.

It's all done by triangulation with satellites (distance and angles) (and very tricky over short distance at slow speeds) and although you might get a 'reading' to a tenth of an mph, you will not be able to attach too much accuracy to it - a lot depends on why you want to know speed.

But on balance the 'speed' reading you get is likely to more accurate than guesswork.

Frankly, I don't care! I've better ways of monitoring speed when I'm boating. Neither do I have a rev counter or oil pressure gauge, though I confess to a temperature gauge mounted at the back of my pigeon box.

Dave

Slow speed is a problem for GPS because we civilians are only allowed the accuracy and precision that the authorities want us to have. Therefore your 'position' can seem to jump around a 3-5m radius of your actual position. If you walk a short distance, it will attempt to smooth out this position uncertainty, but not very well in the short term. The longer you travel, the more accurate your speed will be, especially if you ask your device for the 'average' speed. At higher speeds, the uncertainty is almost zero because the 3-5m variations are lost as minutiae.

Sitting still after switching on will produce a false 'speed' for a minute or so until it gets the idea that you aren't actually moving.

GPS is actually precise down to about 2cm in reality, but is only available to government equipment or very accurate surveying equipment. It's as good as you're ever going to get, IMHO, and is actually quite superb. The invention of the last 100 years, if you ask me.

I only use the etrex on the boat, never used it for walking. On the boat my phone is tucked away and used infrequently.

I am well aware I will be a dinosaur with tech, screaming and kicking is a good image for me!

The Etrex is a great unit, I have had one for over 10 years, and have used it for walking and cycling. Its also used extensively for backup navigation on our coastal boat, where I would no way risk using a phone.

Keeping the already noted caveats as to accuracy in mind, the ‘Map my Run’ app could do the trick. You set it walk/run/cycle etc [not that it makes any difference that I see] and you get current speed along with averages over your route.

You can also see fly-over videos of the route you took afterwards, which can be amusing.

I have used it to keep track of the detour a coach took travelling from London [setting it to ‘cycle’] – and the app was so impressed with my performance it invited me to celebrate my awesomeness.

Frankly, I don't care! I've better ways of monitoring speed when I'm boating. Neither do I have a rev counter or oil pressure gauge, though I confess to a temperature gauge mounted at the back of my pigeon box.

Dave

For canal work it is only a bit of fun. Bit more useful on a river and the ETA function is handy to keep Mrs Gazza up to date on things.

I can see why some don't have a tacho, but no oil pressure gauge?

It's the most important instrument alongside a temp gauge.

Running out of electric is an inconvenience, running out of cooling or oil pressure can turn into a bit more of a ballache!

The Etrex is a great unit, I have had one for over 10 years, and have used it for walking and cycling. Its also used extensively for backup navigation on our coastal boat, where I would no way risk using a phone.

I've no idea how old ours is, it's one of dads hand me downs. I have looked at the book for use as a navigation aid but glazed over! I'm better with a paper chart!

I do need to get into that side of it a bit more though.

I also use it as a depth sounder, I've yet to fit the sounder so rely on the speed falling off on the GPS for a given RPM instead, slower = shallower = less revs (usually by a couple of hundred rpm) no point burning fuel needlessly.

Edited by gazza

You need to distinguish between an app that displays the speed to a given precision and one that is accurate to that precision. Given that domestic GPS data is only accurate to around 3.5 metres with a continuous stream, at single digit speeds, a single figure is about the only reliable reading (ie the nearest mph) Averaging the data stream over a period will improve the precision at the expense of the precision of the time interval. That is, it may well say that you have averaged 3.1 mph but only across a one minute interval during which actual speed may vary up or down. (remember that GPS based speed is derived from successive position readings - differentials are always inherently less accurate)

The first thing you need to do is to decide what you want from the data and then see whether the available data stream can support the conclusion.

I use the "SpeedView" app on iOS, I don't know if it is available on Android, but does does work reasonably well at low speed. Of course given the accuracy of GPS, the error is high at low speed so you need an app that computes the speed as a "running average" so at constant speed you get a good average.

Whilst i accept the difficulty of GPS measurimg accurately at walking speeds, the (free) Ulysse app certainly shows the boat slowing down through bridgeholes and shallow bits of the canal.

I got it for a bit of fun and also to get an idea of typical speed at various rpm, typically for my boat 1500 rpm = 3 mph.

Whilst i accept the difficulty of GPS measurimg accurately at walking speeds, the (free) Ulysse app certainly shows the boat slowing down through bridgeholes and shallow bits of the canal.

I got it for a bit of fun and also to get an idea of typical speed at various rpm, typically for my boat 1500 rpm = 3 mph.

Same here. Although the trip, average moving, average stopped are interesting figures to have, couple that with the engine hour meter and there is some good data to be had.

For us, in deepish water 1500 rpm = 6mph :)

Edited by gazza

For canal work it is only a bit of fun. Bit more useful on a river and the ETA function is handy to keep Mrs Gazza up to date on things.

I can see why some don't have a tacho, but no oil pressure gauge?

It's the most important instrument alongside a temp gauge.

Running out of electric is an inconvenience, running out of cooling or oil pressure can turn into a bit more of a ballache!

I've no idea how old ours is, it's one of dads hand me downs. I have looked at the book for use as a navigation aid but glazed over! I'm better with a paper chart!

I do need to get into that side of it a bit more though also use it as a depth sounder, I've yet to fit the sounder so rely on the speed falling off on the GPS for a given RPM instead, slower = shallower = less revs (usually by a couple of hundred rpm) no point burning fuel needlessly.

Its a bit tedious entering the waypoints manually, but it can be done on the computer and the n transferred to the etrex, supplemented with paper charts off course.

Clever Idea to use it as a depth sounder, I had never thought of that!

P.S, thanks for putting me on to Blackthorn marina. Mr Rusty is currently there, out of the water. Probably passed you sometime last week.

Its a bit tedious entering the waypoints manually, but it can be done on the computer and the n transferred to the etrex, supplemented with paper charts off course.

Clever Idea to use it as a depth sounder, I had never thought of that!

P.S, thanks for putting me on to Blackthorn marina. Mr Rusty is currently there, out of the water. Probably passed you sometime last week.

Penny has dropped!

We were buggering about on Wednesday of last week, pitched up at the kings head for a pint and lamp trials, didn't twig you were tied up too!

I hit the way mark button at a POI, I'd love to be more clued up on driving it from a laptop mind.

Blackthorn is a nice setup, Clive has to be the hardest working bloke I know.

:cheers: