Featured Posts

as some of you might remember we bought a boat that needed a bit of work. Well when we looked under the sink it had two of those mould preventer type containers- full up. The sink smelt like mould. So I pulled out the shelves and found a puddle of water under the shower gulper. (I quickly put the shelves back down and buried my head in the canal sand)

(Just kidding)

​ I can't see where the water is leaking from. But I know some things. It doesn't appear to be the pipe going to the outside. It does not appear to be the pipes going to the taps. And it does not look like the pipe attaching to the gulper. But somehow there is water under it.

When showering under the sink fills up with clean water- not soapy.

So I thought maybe the water was leaking through the tiles. I filled only the basin of the shower and it still leaked, thus ruling out tiles. So I tried to take the basin out. WOW. So I ended up removing the bottom layer of tiles- not easy but the shower still wouldn't budge. I unscrewed the plug- then it occurred to me- could the shower be leaking through the plug- it is only a flimsy black bit of plastic on the other side of the hole?

So that's where I'm at at the moment. An unusable shower and the thought that it is worth just siliconing the plug to stop leaks around the edges and seeing if that stops the leak.

Any other suggestions, or this happened to anyone else?

thanks

Anna

PS On the plus side we've used the marina showers now and they are quite nice.

Hi,

Not sure where your water pump is, but it's worth checking it as they are prone to leak when working and under pressure, the fact that it is clean water suggests this could be the problem. I had a Shurflo and a hairline crack was the problem.

ATB

M

When showering under the sink fills up with clean water- not soapy.

Clean, but not soapy, suggests that the problem is prior to the water reaching the shower taps/mixer. Is it possible to put the shower head out of the window? If so do this and turn on the shower (make sure no water leaks from the taps/mixer or back down the shower hose into the tray). If the puddle still appears then there is a problem on the side of the system going to the shower. If its possible to isolate the hot water supply do this. Switch on the shower again and see if the puddle appears, if no water then the problem is in the hot water supply. If water does appear then try isolating the cold water supply. If no water appears when the shower head is hanging out the window then the leak is either the shower unit or the pump. Try filling the shower tray with water, but don't turn on the pump, if no leak then the problem is the pump. Note the presence of water during these various stages doesn't necessary preclude another leak at a later stage, it is possible for there to be more than one leak.

• Greenie 1

I had the same/similar problem with my shower plughole. It was cracked about halfway around the perimeter letting water escape into the cabin bilge below. The water from mine made it's way to the back of the boat where my inspection hatch is.

I did a repair and is still going strong a year later. It looks a bit of a bodge job but it works and now I just keep an eye on it and make sure I never stand over the plughole (it's not well supported underneath anyway).

I used a compound called instant wet grab. Once dry I topped this with some white silicone sealant.

One day I will buy a new shower tray tongue.png

Good luck,

Edited by Jamm

By "mould preventor type containers", do you mean water traps (equivalent to "U" bends) ? If so, it might be worh trying to get rid of them, as they don't do a lot when the drain goes over the side.

BrumSaint's post gives a logical method of tracing the leak, although if it's only a slight one, it could take a bit of patience to find it.

By "mould preventor type containers", do you mean water traps (equivalent to "U" bends) ? If so, it might be worh trying to get rid of them, as they don't do a lot when the drain goes over the side.

BrumSaint's post gives a logical method of tracing the leak, although if it's only a slight one, it could take a bit of patience to find it.

By mould preventer I suspect she means one of those plastic basket/tubs full of silica gel or other moisture absorber.

How does the drain from the shower tray fit together? In my bath at home the plughole (on the top) and the water collector (underneath the bath) are two separate items with the body of the bath sandwiched between them. Unaccountably, the screw which joins the two together had become loose and it was only the copious sealant that I had used which was holding the two somewhere near together. Some water was leaking out leading to a drip in the kitchen ceiling. I tightened that up and check it periodically; the screw is visible/accessible from above through the centre of the plughole. Not sure that that would account for your leak of clean water though but may be worth a look.

Be sure to eliminate all other possible sources of the water under the floor.

I would recommend thoroughly drying the affected area; and then running the taps on the kitchen and other sinks to be sure they are not contributing to the problem.

For the last 24 years the previous owners of my project boat appear to have struggled with a shower leak; eventually conceding defeat and installing a bilge pump under the floor.

The actual (remaining) source of the water was in fact a slight leak from the turned edge of the hose from the kitchen sink where it connected to the skin fitting; buried deep in the insulation behind the wall panels.

Steve (Eeyore)

Edited by Eeyore
  • Greenie 1

Thanks everyone, some really helpful advice. When I took the plug out the shower tray is sitting on wood and I put my finger down and felt that it was all wet- but looking around the tray it isn't wet all the way up to the wall. That's what makes me think it is a leak from the drain.

The shower shares a wall with the kitchen and the pump is under the kitchen sink. I'm just not sure how the water gets from the bottom of the shower to under the sink.

If the wood the shower tray is sitting on is actually the same floor as is under the sink then maybe it is wicking through the wood. However most boats trim down by the stern so unless your sink is aft of the shower I think it unlikely unless something is preventing water running towards the back of the boat. If the boat lists slightly that may prevent the water getting at the cabin side lining.

Something else to consider is if there is anything under the floor that allows water to run along.

When trying to locate the source of leaks in properties I found that pouring coloured ink down various waste pipes usually led to the start of the problem. It might help you in this case.

Take care it does not stain any sanitary fittings though.

M.

When trying to locate the source of leaks in properties I found that pouring coloured ink down various waste pipes usually led to the start of the problem. It might help you in this case.

M.

Sounds like a Quink way of doing it, an old Watermans method.

M.

Food colourant is good, too, and no worries about degradability. Before doing so, it's worth putting cheapo disposable nappies under suspect joints or pumps, so that the colour is obvious when it leaks out.

• Greenie 1

M.

Very helpful thanks

If you still can not find the source of your leak then a fluorescent dye for checking drain leaks may help as it glows under a black light helping to show the trail back to the source.

It is only for drains, don't put it in your water tank clapping.gif

You don't need a lot as one pot (approx. 230g) of drain dye will treat many tonnes of water.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p19855

Amazon and others sell battery UV torches for less than a tenner. It does need to be fairly dark to see the glow and do NOT shine UV light into eyes.

Something like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flashlight-Blacklight-Detector-Batteries-Included/dp/B00GU556SA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1465575895&sr=8-1&keywords=uv+torch+395nm

If you still can not find the source of your leak then a fluorescent dye for checking drain leaks may help as it glows under a black light helping to show the trail back to the source.

It is only for drains, don't put it in your water tank clapping.gif

You don't need a lot as one pot (approx. 230g) of drain dye will treat many tonnes of water.

Amazon and others sell battery UV torches for less than a tenner. It does need to be fairly dark to see the glow and do NOT shine UV light into eyes.

Something like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flashlight-Blacklight-Detector-Batteries-Included/dp/B00GU556SA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1465575895&sr=8-1&keywords=uv+torch+395nm

Toolstation link dead.

Toolstation link dead.

Sorry - I failed to check the link actually works. Try this -

or search on drain dye

Added

You can also add a tiny amount of this stuff to your engine coolant if you have any coolant leaks to find the source.

You will need a UV light and low ambient light levels. Obviously don't spill even a drop on the side of the engine or your hands as you will be very confused as to the source of the leak.

Edited by Chewbacka