Trial App

Mutts

Featured Posts

So far the app has only been used by the bridge keeper.

It is due to be rolled out to "invited boaters" around now - don't know if this has actually happened yet.

Official timetable here:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/about-us/our-regions/south-wales-and-severn-waterways/gloucester-and-sharpness-canal-bridges

Edited by PaulG

So far the app has only been used by the bridge keeper.

It is due to be rolled out to "invited boaters" around now - don't know if this has actually happened yet.

Official timetable here:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/about-us/our-regions/south-wales-and-severn-waterways/gloucester-and-sharpness-canal-bridges

I have been taking an interest given we will be on the G&S in a couple of weeks time.

Given some of the bridges are manually wound by the bridge keeper, you would think it is some time off having all the bridges operated by the app, but it does seem to good move, as it will presumably give 24 access, rather than everything shutting down at 7pm (in the summer).

The one bridge in the trial is Sandfield, but in the CRT article it indicates that you can contact the bridge keeper via VHF, but I don't believe that is one of the bridges that had VHF in the past. So does anyone local know if Sandfield bridge has VHF now, or is the bridge now actually be remotely operated from Junction bridge which does have VHF?

I have been taking an interest given we will be on the G&S in a couple of weeks time.

Given some of the bridges are manually wound by the bridge keeper, you would think it is some time off having all the bridges operated by the app, but it does seem to good move, as it will presumably give 24 access, rather than everything shutting down at 7pm (in the summer).

The one bridge in the trial is Sandfield, but in the CRT article it indicates that you can contact the bridge keeper via VHF, but I don't believe that is one of the bridges that had VHF in the past. So does anyone local know if Sandfield bridge has VHF now, or is the bridge now actually be remotely operated from Junction bridge which does have VHF?

There is a thread on Facebook about it

I hope there is some sort of local vicinity feature built-in so that only boats at the bridge can use it.

Otherwise you might get some comedians opening the bridge from home just for fun'

How about a £10 charge every time you ring the number - installed at locks as well - then you can be charged to use the lock - even if you have to work it yourself. How about detectors at mileposts. Charged as you cruise.

Don't know about bridge VHF but I went both ways on the G&S last week and all the bridges were manned and operated without delay.

The bridge keepers keep a good look out and give a very good service.

If it is quiet and the red light does not flash within a couple of mins of arriving it may be the bridge keeper is working nearby but out of sight, so a blast on the horn is normal.

Don't know about bridge VHF but I went both ways on the G&S last week and all the bridges were manned and operated without delay.

The bridge keepers keep a good look out and give a very good service.

If it is quiet and the red light does not flash within a couple of mins of arriving it may be the bridge keeper is working nearby but out of sight, so a blast on the horn is normal.

Thanks, we were on the G&S 2 years ago. I was just surprised to see VHF mentioned wrt Sandfield, which was not one of the ones with VHF then.

I don't know that particular swing bridge, but the safety aspect of all this worries me. It's desirable for boaters to be able to operate these bridges at all hours without having to wait around, and for single handed operation not to be too awkward, but I think any arrangement needs to ensure that the boater is right there on the spot, in a position to see who's about and in the way and what dangers the moving bridge might produce. This would mean the app using GPS to limit operation to a tightly defined area, which can be marked out in some way on the ground; I'm sure the technology could do that.

Having operated various such bridges including automated road bridges on the K&A, and pondered the responsibility involved, I can see a reason to have such an app but they've got to get the design right, including security so that some malicious person can't alter the program. The Internet of Things offers a lot of good possibilities, but can also become a nightmare if we let it.

I don't know that particular swing bridge, but the safety aspect of all this worries me. It's desirable for boaters to be able to operate these bridges at all hours without having to wait around, and for single handed operation not to be too awkward, but I think any arrangement needs to ensure that the boater is right there on the spot, in a position to see who's about and in the way and what dangers the moving bridge might produce. This would mean the app using GPS to limit operation to a tightly defined area, which can be marked out in some way on the ground; I'm sure the technology could do that.

Having operated various such bridges including automated road bridges on the K&A, and pondered the responsibility involved, I can see a reason to have such an app but they've got to get the design right, including security so that some malicious person can't alter the program. The Internet of Things offers a lot of good possibilities, but can also become a nightmare if we let it.

The phone uses WiFi and each bridge has it's own WiFi base station, so the boater can only connect when close to the bridge.

The boater simply requests the bridge to open and gives direction of travel, the bridge then with laser scanners checks road traffic etc then starts flashing red lights, closing barriers etc. Similar to unmanned rail crossings.

The boater does nothing more than ask the bridge to open and takes no responsibility for traffic control etc.

The boater also has to register in advance with CRT so the local kids will be unable to play with the bridge. Emergency services will have bridge priority as well.

Will it ever work??????

Just buy a Waterways DVD and sit and watch it on the telly, you can boat all night and no one will complain

Brilliant idea! And if you are running behind schedule you can fast forward and you won't get shouted at to slow down.

Ken

• Greenie 1

The phone uses WiFi and each bridge has it's own WiFi base station, so the boater can only connect when close to the bridge.

So does this mean that only boaters with a wifi-enabled phone who have pre-registered with CRT will be able to pass through the bridges?

What happens if your phone dies, or you manage to drop it in or lose it?

So does this mean that only boaters with a wifi-enabled phone who have pre-registered with CRT will be able to pass through the bridges?

What happens if your phone dies, or you manage to drop it in or lose it?

If you read all the stuff on CRTs web site they explain the options. As well as the app you will be able to contact the central control room by phone or VHF and they will open it for you. Presumably that will only during similar hours to today, and the app will be the only way 24/7.

If you read all the stuff on CRTs web site they explain the options. As well as the app you will be able to contact the central control room by phone or VHF and they will open it for you. Presumably that will only during similar hours to today, and the app will be the only way 24/7.

But if as David Mack says, the wifi enabled phone has been dropped in the cut how do you phone them to ask for the bridge to be opened?

But if as David Mack says, the wifi enabled phone has been dropped in the cut how do you phone them to ask for the bridge to be opened?

Use your VHF of course. Seriously I think there may be an intercom at the bridge as well. The locals would know better, as I said I am only interested as we will be there in a couple of week, but it seems nothing will have changed then anyway.

Set it up so it's only accessible by limited range WiFi at the bridge in question. That way it's just a relatively cheap alternative to a control box on the bank.

For this to work over WiFI it would mean having to connect your phone to the WiFI SSID for the bridge each time, a bit of an inconvenience especially when more and more people have their own WiFI on board which they'd have to keep disconnecting from. Data comms over the internet via 3G/4G would probably be more reliable than WiFI but is dependent on the mobile network. (EE cover all of the G&S.) This would mean people wouldn't have to keep changing their WiFI SSID but would have to pay more attention to their mobile network coverage. (some don't provide good coverage on the G&S)

It may be better if they developed an app where you can submit a request for a bridge to be opened when you're within close proximity of the bridge. Once requested, an alert could be sent to a CRT control centre where an operator could check CCTV and open the bridge remotely. This way it's semi-automated, more cost effective to deploy and probably safer too. They could also put in a request point by each bridge for those who are unable to submit the request via their phone. (for whatever reason)

There's a lot of older people on the G&S who don't have smart phones and shouldn't be expected to learn how to use one. I do hope they consider these people too!

Whatever they do, I do hope they speed things up a bit. Often the bridge keepers are very slow (and I'm being polite here!!) and if you give them a polite blast of the horn, it coincidentally(?) seems to slow down the next bridge-keeper too! People argue that it's not meant to be fast but when the bridges close at 16:00 in the winter and for two days a week, sometimes a delay can cause a real inconvenience on this canal.

Edited by Armitage Shanks