Featured Posts

Make sure you tell em not to get on the roof till under the guillotine gate, more than a couple will swipe em off the top....

We don't use the bow to get on and off, i just stop level with the ladder for Mrs Gazza to get off if she is helping. Much easier on a narrow boat with no cockpit combing to climb over as well.

If they struggle with accurately stopping the boat I would suggest as new boaters they would be wise using the downstream landing stages, get plenty of practice getting in to the side that way too smile.png

Not so many locks have water cascading over the gates these days.

Those that do off the top of my head going upstream.

Water Newton

Yarwell

Warmington

Ashton

Wadenhoe

Titchmarsh (but only when it has rained well)

Islip

Lower Ringstead

Irthlingborough

Wollaston

Whiston

Billing

I'm a bit rusty going upstream from titchmarsh, good while since we have been any further up than Denford.

The days of the Nene being deep enough and maintaining its correct level are long gone.

The misguided fitting of the lintels to lots of locks put paid to t

It worries me that I understand so little of this

Plenty of space in town. You could treat yourself to a night of Luxury at the EA marina in Becket's park. It's a good marina above town lock so you are straight onto the arm.

If you stop in town the Malt Shovel on Bridge Street just up from Carlsberg is well worth a look, it's up for sale but hopefully won't change their winning formula.

White mills marina is worth a look too, you would be a few hours out of town though.

Billing is a good bit closer than White Mills, both pubs are average, the Oriental Paradise is good but expensive.

The Britannia is a Vintage Inn and has been consistently good over the years, we use it as a halfway to catch up with mates from MK so we don't all have to totally traverse the county by car

Stopped on the boat a couple of times, the mooring is short and popular.

And yet I understand this very well

This picture should explain. The flow over the gates depends on the water level

cd5535b.jpg

Islip.

The mooring landing stage is upstream to your left.

That's an old picture too, the paddle gear has been replaced a fair while now.

Edited by gazza

Don't be too worried hackenbush, I've been through a few locks before with water cascading over the top like that (and worse) and I think I know how to cope. And the Nene locks I saw (at the Northampton end) are a good length. Having said which, I don't think I know the length of your boat and how well it can be protected from incoming water at the bow. Can you post a link for the boat here, or by PM if you're concerned about privacy?

At the other extreme if we get a drought it sounds as if shallow water can be a problem on the Nene, but I'm guessing that (1) like most modern boats your draft is about two feet and (2) there should be a decent channel on a river that size if we stick to midstream, going a bit towards the outside on bends and looking out for buoys.

Don't be too worried hackenbush, I've been through a few locks before with water cascading over the top like that (and worse) and I think I know how to cope. And the Nene locks I saw (at the Northampton end) are a good length. Having said which, I don't think I know the length of your boat and how well it can be protected from incoming water at the bow. Can you post a link for the boat here, or by PM if you're concerned about privacy?

At the other extreme if we get a drought it sounds as if shallow water can be a problem on the Nene, but I'm guessing that (1) like most modern boats your draft is about two feet and (2) there should be a decent channel on a river that size if we stick to midstream, going a bit towards the outside on bends and looking out for buoys.

The only areas marked with buoys that are shallow are downstream at Orton and Alwalton.

There is a sunkdn boat marked between the Oundle Ashton Road bridge and the footbridge as you follow the Oundle Bypass, it's a small thing on the left-hand side traveling upstream.

It can be shallow on the Approach to Water Newton lock on the left hand side coming upstream.

Cotterstock lock also can be shallow at the downstream landing stage on the right hand side as you travel upstream.

As I said earlier, current conditions upstream from Denford are unknown to me as I haven't been that way since 2011, we always bugger off on to the ouse.

When I say shallow we are talking 6' odd in most places, some odd deep stretches, but it's a shadow of its former self. Problems with depth will be encountered at places like wadenhoe etc when you are mooring up.

We stirred plenty of shit up leaving Islip/MNSC moorings the other week, our draft is 2' 6"!

On the Ely Ouse we can manage 6 mph comfortable cruising speed, on the Nene we Normally sit at around 5, 5.5 mph. It's noticeable that since 2009 our speed has had to drop in many places.

Sure, you can open the taps and burn diesel but the old girl doesn't really feel as happy on the Nene as when she is back at her home waters!

Is this a sensitive subject then? I've only ever heard it pronounced Nene, but then I've only ever been on the upper end of the river.

I did go to a job interview in Peterborough once in 1979, but the river wasn't mentioned; I remember that day mainly for the plague of greenfly which turned the sky green.

Is this a sensitive subject then? I've only ever heard it pronounced Nene, but then I've only ever been on the upper end of the river.

I did go to a job interview in Peterborough once in 1979, but the river wasn't mentioned; I remember that day mainly for the plague of greenfly which turned the sky green.

Upper end and it's pronounced Neen?! Heavens above!!

It rises in my county and should only be called Nen. Old maps (16th Century) show it with the spelling Nen. When the e was added to the end is anyone guess.

Blagrove and Imray have contributed to the myth it changes to Neen at Thrapston. It doesn't but myth sticks.

The good people of Peterborough and beyond for reasons best known to themselves have always called it Neen though.

Every now and again they pronounce it correctly on the news but it is more often than not pronounced incorrectly Neen.

Not sure how much influence Rolls Royce had on its pronunciation either :)

Edited by gazza

My Daughter in Law's dad used to keep the Dog in a Doublet pub and he maintains that is where the name changes. But I have no idea.

Have a read of Blagroves Waterways of Northamptonshire. He has to bear some of the blame for popularising the nonsense.

All this talk and not one mention of the most important piece of info.

Is it Neen or Nen?

M,

Take a trip on it and then you will discover it's real name is 'beautiful', imagine the Wey x 1000. well worth a visit, but treat with respect.

Up the GU and turn right at Gayton............

Stop a night or two at Fotheringhay lots to explore ......... real history!!.

Mike

Nen

No question

Whilst on the subject how does a local pronounce

Cogenhoe

Cookno.

Try Bozeat :)

Yes that's the book I want to read. I've got a few of his others. Northamptonshire lad was BB.

He hired an Elysian 27 from Jack Newingtons burgeoning empire that was to become Fairline Boats.

M,

Take a trip on it and then you will discover it's real name is 'beautiful', imagine the Wey x 1000. well worth a visit, but treat with respect.

Up the GU and turn right at Gayton............

Stop a night or two at Fotheringhay lots to explore ......... real history!!.

Mike

And a good waterpoint - I think my favourite. It is a very beautiful river.

dscf3472.jpg

Islip.

The mooring landing stage is upstream to your left.

That's an old picture too, the paddle gear has been replaced a fair while now.

Well it was the only one I had with a low flow, The other ones would have put the wind up th OP. The problem with the high flow over the gates. Is not water pouring in to the welldeck, But the flow of water pushing you out of the lock. A few years ago at Titchmarsh lock, there was about 8 inches of water pouring over the gates, I have to go half astern againest the flow so I could release the rope, I then shot out the lock at speed, while out of gear.

Edited by nbfiresprite

Well it was the only one I had with a low flow, The other ones would have put the wind up th OP. The problem with a high flow over the gates. Is not water pouring in to the welldeck, But the flow of water pushing you out of the lock. A few years ago at Titchmarsh lock, there was about 8 inches of water pouring over the gates, I have to go half astern againest the flow so I could release the rope, I then shot out the lock at speed, while out of gear.

:)

Wadenhoe is the same.

My old man nearly ended up in there not paying attention.