Featured Posts

We are moving onto a marina on the River Nene close to.Northampton. I have heard that there are some.very tight turns and narrow bridges along the river. Does anyone have any experience of this?

Last year at the end of a trip as crew for stagedamager's parents we turned into Billings going downstream; it's a very tight corner and I remember we went into the bushes a bit and had to use the cabin shaft (I think that's the correct term?) to push the bow away from the bank. But it didn't seem hazardous, though I guess it could be if the river was high, as there's a bridge just below that point and a strong current might push the boat into a pier if the turn was misjudged.

On June 5th to 7th I'm scheduled to come up the Nene from Stanground Lock to the Northampton Arm, and would be interested to know of any particular hazards to watch out for, as the only other person on the boat will be hackenbush who's a new boater, so it's very much up to me to know what I'm doing.

We are moving onto a marina on the River Nene close to.Northampton. I have heard that there are some.very tight turns and narrow bridges along the river. Does anyone have any experience of this?

Depends on what sort of boat you have really. The road bridge at Higham Ferrers is easy enough in a narrowboat or river cruiser but is a bit more challenging when your boat is 12ft wide ! The little bridge at doddington is always a bit of a suprise as has a sharp corner hidden behind it.

Last year at the end of a trip as crew for stagedamager's parents we turned into Billings going downstream; it's a very tight corner and I remember we went into the bushes a bit and had to use the cabin shaft (I think that's the correct term?) to push the bow away from the bank. But it didn't seem hazardous, though I guess it could be if the river was high, as there's a bridge just below that point and a strong current might push the boat into a pier if the turn was misjudged.

On June 5th to 7th I'm scheduled to come up the Nene from Stanground Lock to the Northampton Arm, and would be interested to know of any particular hazards to watch out for, as the only other person on the boat will be hackenbush who's a new boater, so it's very much up to me to know what I'm doing.

The point on the upstream side of the entrance is quite shallow, hence the need to swing wide round the turn and pole back from the bridge, especially with longer craft.

Depends on what sort of boat you have really. The road bridge at Higham Ferrers is easy enough in a narrowboat or river cruiser but is a bit more challenging when your boat is 12ft wide ! The little bridge at doddington is always a bit of a suprise as has a sharp corner hidden behind it.

Is that the metal arched one downstream of the lock? The current sweeps round upstream of that and the cuts across the bridge-'ole sideways. As we discovered going upstream last month in marginal stream conditions, when it pushed the boat sideways into the abutment and mashed the engine exhaust :(

MP.

Is that the metal arched one downstream of the lock? The current sweeps round upstream of that and the cuts across the bridge-'ole sideways. As we discovered going upstream last month in marginal stream conditions, when it pushed the boat sideways into the abutment and mashed the engine exhaust :(

MP.

Thats the one. I broke down just before that bridge last year- but managed to get a tow to the lock to repair the split diesel pipe..Unfortuantly my tow took the bend wide and towed me head on onto that same lump of concrete/brick!

All these tales of mishaps and difficulties will be putting the OP off!

I love the Nene, and the Middle Level waterways to which it leads, so much so that despite being based in Yorkshire, I've spent 3 of the 10 summers I've had the boat in the area. Neither do I rush to get down or up the river, for despite what people say, there are so many beautiful places to stay.

I love the Nene, and the Middle Level waterways to which it leads, so much so that despite being based in Yorkshire, I've spent 3 of the 10 summers I've had the boat in the area. Neither do I rush to get down or up the river, for despite what people say, there are so many beautiful places to stay.

Haha. Thats my only mishap I am admitting to.

Couldnt agree more though. Its a beautiful river that I always look forward to getting on.

For my trip up the Nene as crew for hackenbush on 5-7 June we will be rushing because he wants to get moved from March to Uxbridge within a week off work and I'm always up for doing a trip involving long hours to cover the miles, but I'll try to enjoy the experience! The plan is to get through Stanground Sluice before it closes at 3pm on the Sunday, then try to reach Northampton for the Tuesday night. My view is that if I cover a lot of the system doing these boat moves, I'll build up an idea of which areas I'd like to visit at a more leisurely pace when I'm older and less energetic.

I'm getting the impression, particularly from this detailed blog:

http://noproblem.org.uk/blog/nene/

that finding an overnight mooring when we need to should not be too difficult, there seem to be various spots available despite it being a river not a canal.

For my trip up the Nene as crew for hackenbush on 5-7 June we will be rushing because he wants to get moved from March to Uxbridge within a week off work and I'm always up for doing a trip involving long hours to cover the miles, but I'll try to enjoy the experience! The plan is to get through Stanground Sluice before it closes at 3pm on the Sunday, then try to reach Northampton for the Tuesday night. My view is that if I cover a lot of the system doing these boat moves, I'll build up an idea of which areas I'd like to visit at a more leisurely pace when I'm older and less energetic.

I'm getting the impression, particularly from this detailed blog:

http://noproblem.org.uk/blog/nene/

that finding an overnight mooring when we need to should not be too difficult, there seem to be various spots available despite it being a river not a canal.

I'd better finish making this duct for the hot air, so you can thrash the SR3.....

I'd get diesel from Peterborough Yacht Club by Stanground, because the tank only holds 40L or so.

We find the Nene is about 24 hours boating. We normally do Northampton-thrapston one day, then to Peterborough the next.

If you get through Stanground at 3pm, you might be able to get to Fotheringhay before it gets dark, at 9pm or so.

Edited by FadeToScarlet

Thank you for PaulJ for pointing me to that list, it will be helpful to know the various possible moorings so that if we have a bit of spare time one evening we can judge whether pressing on carries a significant risk of being still out boating at sunset. Do the various moorings usually get full?

And thank you FadeToScarlet for your help to hackenbush in preparing his boat for the BSS and getting it to March next week. I'll try not to over-work his engine, my strategy for this kind of trip is to keep moving for enough hours each day rather than going at top speed, as that tends to waste fuel and annoy moored boaters. Also we need that engine to keep working and cover 147 miles in the week (plus 132 locks).

Agree. The only problem he would be likely to encounter is trying to go down stream if its in flood and that is true for most rivers.

I'd better finish making this duct for the hot air, so you can thrash the SR3.....

I'd get diesel from Peterborough Yacht Club by Stanground, because the tank only holds 40L or so.

We find the Nene is about 24 hours boating. We normally do Northampton-thrapston one day, then to Peterborough the next.

If you get through Stanground at 3pm, you might be able to get to Fotheringhay before it gets dark, at 9pm or so.

PYC is a lock up the Nene, I am trying to remember the place you are talking about just through Stanground. Both use to be good prices but PYC only use to do 40/60 where as the one at Stanground was what you like.

Really? 24 hour boating!? But there are loads of places to moor, they can just be a bit hard to spot at first. Apparently even the meadows at Cogenhoe are still ok (despite the No Mooring signs) if you go and ask at the Caravan club.

Really? 24 hour boating!? But there are loads of places to moor, they can just be a bit hard to spot at first. Apparently even the meadows at Cogenhoe are still ok (despite the No Mooring signs) if you go and ask at the Caravan club.

Yes, really. Two twelve hour days.

For us, it's between where we live and where we want to be, so is a pretty transit route, to be worked efficiently.

There are plenty more moorings now, though, than when I started.

Peter X (and the OP may find this useful)-a useful list of Nene moorings on this post to help you plan- All Credit and thanks to Gazza

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=83930&page=2#entry1801302

No problem :cheers:

Yes, really. Two twelve hour days.

For us, it's between where we live and where we want to be, so is a pretty transit route, to be worked efficiently.

There are plenty more moorings now, though, than when I started.

12 hours? You saving diesel? :)

Best trip for us was PYC to MNCC in 8 hours.

We left at 1pm after a Swifty in the bar, arrived at MNCC for 9pm to finish the night in the bar.

We had intended to stay at Elton but it was a beautiful afternoon and evening - we also met several traveling down stream so didn't have to reverse many locks.

These days with the little un in tow it's 2 days minimum!

Agree. The only problem he would be likely to encounter is trying to go down stream if its in flood and that is true for most rivers.

PYC is a lock up the Nene, I am trying to remember the place you are talking about just through Stanground. Both use to be good prices but PYC only use to do 40/60 where as the one at Stanground was what you like.

Jackson's boat yard.

Thank you for PaulJ for pointing me to that list, it will be helpful to know the various possible moorings so that if we have a bit of spare time one evening we can judge whether pressing on carries a significant risk of being still out boating at sunset. Do the various moorings usually get full?

And thank you FadeToScarlet for your help to hackenbush in preparing his boat for the BSS and getting it to March next week. I'll try not to over-work his engine, my strategy for this kind of trip is to keep moving for enough hours each day rather than going at top speed, as that tends to waste fuel and annoy moored boaters. Also we need that engine to keep working and cover 147 miles in the week (plus 132 locks).

Mooring popularity Depends where you are talking about.

Coming upstream, the most popular spots are as follows.

Thorpe meadows, sometimes

Ferry Meadows yes especially if 4 long narrow boats get on there.

Wansford station yes.

Elton mill, sometimes.

Fotheringhay has loads of space.

Wadenhoe sometimes.

Islip/MNSC sometimes.

Everything else upstream has plenty of space.

The rest of that list is take your chances

Thanks gazza, that's the sort of information I was looking for. Of course we may well be arriving somewhere looking to find a mooring for the night at a time when most people have already stopped and are relaxing on deck with a nice drink, so we'll have to build in some contingency for going on to another spot if necessary, or just ask to breast up if things get tough. I well remember finding what appeared to be the last empty bit of towpath in Aynho on the South Oxford canal one evening last summer in rapidly fading twilight.

Canalplan has the Nene from Stanground to Northampton as 61 miles and 37 locks, taking about 27-28 hours, but if we do go a bit faster than expected and get off onto the Northampton Arm before the end of our Day 3, as I remember it from the one time I went down it I suspect we'd find somewhere along there to moor overnight without having to embark on the main flight of 12 locks.

Thanks gazza, that's the sort of information I was looking for. Of course we may well be arriving somewhere looking to find a mooring for the night at a time when most people have already stopped and are relaxing on deck with a nice drink, so we'll have to build in some contingency for going on to another spot if necessary, or just ask to breast up if things get tough. I well remember finding what appeared to be the last empty bit of towpath in Aynho on the South Oxford canal one evening last summer in rapidly fading twilight.

Canalplan has the Nene from Stanground to Northampton as 61 miles and 37 locks, taking about 27-28 hours, but if we do go a bit faster than expected and get off onto the Northampton Arm before the end of our Day 3, as I remember it from the one time I went down it I suspect we'd find somewhere along there to moor overnight without having to embark on the main flight of 12 locks.

Plenty of space in town. You could treat yourself to a night of Luxury at the EA marina in Becket's park. It's a good marina above town lock so you are straight onto the arm.

If you stop in town the Malt Shovel on Bridge Street just up from Carlsberg is well worth a look, it's up for sale but hopefully won't change their winning formula.

White mills marina is worth a look too, you would be a few hours out of town though.

Billing is a good bit closer than White Mills, both pubs are average, the Oriental Paradise is good but expensive.

The Britannia is a Vintage Inn and has been consistently good over the years, we use it as a halfway to catch up with mates from MK so we don't all have to totally traverse the county by car

Stopped on the boat a couple of times, the mooring is short and popular.

Edited by gazza

One thing you do have to watch out for. Is the flow of water over the top gates when going up stream. This can make things intresting, if your on your own. Best way to handie them is to enter the lock on the right side as the ladder is closest to the bottom gate and have who ever is on the bow to climb the ladder as you enter the lock with the rope and tie you off. Then he is able to close the lock. If there is a heavy flow over the gates. Don't bother to open the top paddles as the lock will quickley fill.

One thing you do have to watch out for. Is the flow of water over the top gates when going up stream. This can make things intresting, if your on your own. Best way to handie them is to enter the lock on the right side as the ladder is closest to the bottom gate and have who ever is on the bow to climb the ladder as you enter the lock with the rope and tie you off. Then he is able to close the lock. If there is a heavy flow over the gates. Don't bother to open the top paddles as the lock will quickley fill.

Whilst true for most boats, I wouldn't recommend this on the boat hackenbush has bought, and that Peter is helping deliver, as there's no access onto the bow. Off from the roof or gunwale with a centre line works, then using that to hold the boat in gear against the wall.

Whilst true for most boats, I wouldn't recommend this on the boat hackenbush has bought, and that Peter is helping deliver, as there's no access onto the bow. Off from the roof or gunwale with a centre line works, then using that to hold the boat in gear against the wall.

Make sure you tell em not to get on the roof till under the guillotine gate, more than a couple will swipe em off the top....

We don't use the bow to get on and off, i just stop level with the ladder for Mrs Gazza to get off if she is helping. Much easier on a narrow boat with no cockpit combing to climb over as well.

If they struggle with accurately stopping the boat I would suggest as new boaters they would be wise using the downstream landing stages, get plenty of practice getting in to the side that way too :)

Not so many locks have water cascading over the gates these days.

Those that do off the top of my head going upstream.

Water Newton

Yarwell

Warmington

Ashton

Wadenhoe

Titchmarsh (but only when it has rained well)

Islip

Lower Ringstead

Irthlingborough

Wollaston

Whiston

Billing

I'm a bit rusty going upstream from titchmarsh, good while since we have been any further up than Denford.

The days of the Nene being deep enough and maintaining its correct level are long gone.

The misguided fitting of the lintels to lots of locks put paid to that.