Searching for a 70" Widebeam See Photo

Biggles

Featured Posts

hi biggles I'm new on here and going to be a wb owner in the not too distant future...i do think as soon as you mention or show pictures of a wb there are those on here who feel duty bound to make some stupid comments..i soon learnt this fact from such as bettie boo and peterboat if a wb is your thing then go for it and take no notice what so ever of those who would do you down..chances are mate if your moored up next to them they would not have the bottle to say it to your face..its easy for them to play silly games on a forum. i for one take no notice of the idiots but i do respect the helpful comments made to my posts on here both from wb and the good nb owners alike.hope you track the boat down she's a bit big to be hiding lol

looks like you have lots of room for them wbs where your are bettieboo?

Oh I know. I've had a WB for 6 years now, 2 while I built it, 2 in the UK and now in our 3rd season in France.

Funny actually 2 of my very good friends and seasoned NB bloggers are now in wide boats.

When I was building this boat and getting some very good advice on here, the "usual bunch" of WB bashers had nothing of worth to say. My boat must be the worst of the lot because it has a bowthruster, a flushing toilet and an engine that is 2+ x the HP than one that sites in a marina all its life and only moves for blacking once in a while.

Enjoy your WB.

Ditchcrawler I'm sure there is a sound point to what your saying but surely a trip into a marina for top ups and pump outs will be part of our planning? Or are you telling me every nb owner who cc never stays in one place 7 or sometimes 14 days? We will be spending a lot of our time exploring towns villages and cities and a few pubs too now unless I'm missing something there will be loos in all these places? I was told that many nb ccs have using land based loos off to a fine art. If empty tanks and filling up with water is such an issue I'm amazed anyone ccs the systems.

Yes peterboat we are visiting crick as part of our wb research...it will be good to see what's on offer in the market...we will even glance a few nbs as unlike some folk we like both wb and nb but have decided we will be buying a wb for all the right reasons....looking forward to meeting some boat builders and seeing what goodies are available.

Ditchcrawler I'm sure there is a sound point to what your saying but surely a trip into a marina for top ups and pump outs will be part of our planning? Or are you telling me every nb owner who cc never stays in one place 7 or sometimes 14 days? We will be spending a lot of our time exploring towns villages and cities and a few pubs too now unless I'm missing something there will be loos in all these places? I was told that many nb ccs have using land based loos off to a fine art. If empty tanks and filling up with water is such an issue I'm amazed anyone ccs the systems.

Well I couldn't sit for 14 days without filling with water and you say you only intend to move the minimum of distance after 14 days so you could easily go 6 weeks without passing a pump out point. You are talking about a year to do less than 500 miles, there are not that many waterpoints in 5 miles.

If you don't quote the post(s) that prompted your outburst then any of those who responded are likely to feel criticised, which appears to be what has happened.

It sometimes helps if you read back to yourself what it is you've actually written before hitting the button. As simple incorrect sentences can become a bit of an obstacle course.

I'm not correcting your use of "live" for you but would point out that 70' is twelve times 70".

I agree there are some awkward so and so's on here, just ignore them.

I hope you track down what you are looking for.

I think it was pretty obvious which particular post Biggles was mainly referring to.

Unfortunately some "boaters" (and I use that term advisedly), illustrate by their ignorance and bad behaviour, that they actually know very little about boats and boating ettiquete, because the first thing one should learn about boats is that you don't insult an owner by insulting his or her boat.

Some people on this forum don't particularly favour narrowboats, but most have the good sense to realise that narrowboats (like all boats), contribute towards the rich variety of boat types seen on the waterways.

Edited by Claude
  • Greenie 2

Well I couldn't sit for 14 days without filling with water and you say you only intend to move the minimum of distance after 14 days so you could easily go 6 weeks without passing a pump out point. You are talking about a year to do less than 500 miles, there are not that many waterpoints in 5 miles.

But my widebeam with 4 tons of water on board can sit for over 2 weeks without filling up so as long as Fergyguy builds similar he will be ok plus throw in a composting toilet and its a done deal

But my widebeam with 4 tons of water on board can sit for over 2 weeks without filling up so as long as Fergyguy builds similar he will be ok plus throw in a composting toilet and its a done deal

4 tonnes is a massive tank! Mine holds just over a tonne and a quarter and i can get 3 or 4 weeks out of it so you must be able to get at least 6 weeks from yours.

Or he could do as we do during the winter months...cruise every 10 - 14 days to the next water point / pump out facility.

To be fair...

On the southern GU there's Warren with the pump out boat who passes by every 3 weeks or so, do they not have anything like that on the Northern canals? I thought Junior offered a pump out service along with everything else he does or did I get that wrong?

During the summer, it's just a matter of popping into the nearest marina, or CRT facility. I can only draw on our limited experience of the southern canals & rivers; but we haven't found we've had to travel more than a day to reach the facilities we need if we get caught short for water or pump out...mind you we don't take 15 min showers either icecream.gif

Yes, it takes some planning on where to moor so that you have good sun for the solar, and are within a days cruise of the next facilities, & have access to local shops if your cc'ing without the benefit of having a motor vehicle, but it can be done fairly easily IMO. Well we haven't found it to be a hardship anyway, it's all part of the lifestyle; again IMO cool.png

Thanks peterboat and bettieboo your comments make good sense...when we speak to our chosen builder he will be fully aware of our cruising intentions and we will discuss building the equipment we need to live the lifestyle we want....everything is possible if you approach it with plenty of thought and planning. Having been raised on a farm in the middle of no where in Lincolnshire in the 50s where we had no electric what so ever no gas no running water and no plumbed toilet system no central heating no tv no shops no internet .....I reckon living on our wb will be absolute luxury even if we can not find a pump out station lol

Having been raised on a farm in the middle of no where in Lincolnshire in the 50s where we had no electric what so ever no gas no running water and no plumbed toilet system no central heating no tv no shops no internet .....I reckon living on our wb will be absolute luxury even if we can not find a pump out station lol

You had a house ? - LUXURY

We used to live in't cardboard box in't middle O'road.

• Greenie 1

Hello Peter

It took 4 hours with locking. Only had to add 200 rpm to maintain 6kph. Glad I have all that power I was told was un-necesary by the "experts" here. Still had another 1000 rpm to use.

Avalon didn't seem to be struggling to go upstream, and 4 hours isn't a bad time to get to Villeneuve.

If Debbie didn't fancy to waterski behind the boat, there wasn't any need for those 1000 extra rpm's anyway, but they were there just in case.

Cheers,

Peter.

Many nb owners and wb owners have had a house and some still do....if you had lived in a cardboard box then good on you for getting onto a boat that's got to be a move for the better...I feel you either missing my point or taking the p..s? I was simply saying having been brought up on nothing if all my new life worries are based on finding a pump out point then I would not consider it a hardship.

You had a house ? - LUXURY

We used to live in't cardboard box in't middle O'road.

I don't think Fergy is as old as us.but then he may not have been exposed to the same entertainment as us in his younger days. Cardboard box in the road, luxury. We didn't have a road.

Researching composting toilets it's clear that installing such on our build will allow us to have additional fresh water storage as we will not be storing toilet waste on board...as peterboat says it makes really good sense.

I think it was pretty obvious which particular post Biggles was mainly referring to.

Unfortunately some "boaters" (and I use that term advisedly), illustrate by their ignorance and bad behaviour, that they actually know very little about boats and boating ettiquete, because the first thing one should learn about boats is that you don't insult an owner by insulting his or her boat.

Some people on this forum don't particularly favour narrowboats, but most have the good sense to realise that narrowboats (like all boats), contribute towards the rich variety of boat types seen on the waterways.

Yes I guess it was obvious, however a couple of others that had also replied felt the need to respond to Biggles outburst to explain their post. Hence my comment.

Why do you use the word "boater" advisedly? According to The OED a boater is either a straw hat or a person that uses a boat. Their ignorance or attitude neither validates nor invalidates those descriptions.

I feel your comment "you don't insult an owner by insulting his or her boat" is a tad wide of the mark as clearly Biggles was offended. And quite rightly so too.

If your view is extrapolated to encompass all things that are associated to an individual I'd consider your "wife/significant other " to be very patient should you not be offended in the event of a stranger approaching you with the intention of advising you that he/she was a Wandering Hideous Lump and you were proud not to be offended.

I don't see that someone illustrates their ignorance and bad behaviour by how little they know about boats, I suggest they're naturally rude and horrid to most people at any given time (unless face to face probably). Spiteful is as spiteful does.

The rich variety of boats seen on the canals can certainly be a joy, and I would be saddened if narrow boats became narrowboats especially if it was confused because of someone's opinion of boating etiquette.

I thought Junior offered a pump out service along with everything else he does or did I get that wrong?

Nope you're not wrong Betty, we do indeed offer a Pump Out service as does Brian on Alton.

Don't see many Widebeams round this way though. A few on the Weaver and the odd one on the Northern T&M as i belive a local company makes a 9ft wide model that will fit through Preston Brook Tunnel.

How is Warren doing? He was just starting up when i was last down that way on Albion. What does he charge out of curiosity?, i couldn't imagine that a boat solely doing Pump Outs could be a successful business.

I thought Junior offered a pump out service along with everything else he does or did I get that wrong?

Nope you're not wrong Betty, we do indeed offer a Pump Out service as does Brian on Alton.

Don't see many Widebeams round this way though. A few on the Weaver and the odd one on the Northern T&M as i belive a local company makes a 9ft wide model that will fit through Preston Brook Tunnel.

How is Warren doing? He was just starting up when i was last down that way on Albion. What does he charge out of curiosity?, i couldn't imagine that a boat solely doing Pump Outs could be a successful business.

Haven't been down his neck of the woods since last October, but he was still going strong then. Such a lovely bloke, and offers a really good service, he makes sure the tank is proper empty regardless of how big your tank is and gives it a good rinse as well. I think he has a fair good business, due to so many stationary live aboards down there.

We haven't come across a coal boat business down here that offer the different fuels & a pump out facility as well.

He charges us £15.00, same as what we pay in most marina's but with the added bonus on not having to flaf around getting a WB with no bow thruster into some rather awkward spots at some of the marina's facilities we've visited - hope your keeping well and enjoying your new venture

Edited by Bettie Boo

Alan and ditchcrawler I'm from nottinghamshire not Yorkshire...but like all northerners we are made of strong stuff whether it be hardships in life or the p..s taking from others....I have researched life on the water in many ways and it's crystal clear to me it's not really rocket science...you simply live with the space you have be it nb or wb you live the lifestyle you want be it cc or marina and most of all use forums to gain some fantastic advise from genuine well meaning boaters but just ignore those who because they have done it and got the t shirt feel it's better to take the micky than offer encouragement to someone who is obviously new to it all.thank god for people like peterboat and bettieboo who's able to see the good and bad in all my questions yet answer both sides with a fair and levelled reply.

Alan and ditchcrawler I'm from nottinghamshire not Yorkshire...but like all northerners we are made of strong stuff whether it be hardships in life or the p..s taking from others....I have researched life on the water in many ways and it's crystal clear to me it's not really rocket science...you simply live with the space you have be it nb or wb you live the lifestyle you want be it cc or marina and most of all use forums to gain some fantastic advise from genuine well meaning boaters but just ignore those who because they have done it and got the t shirt feel it's better to take the micky than offer encouragement to someone who is obviously new to it all.thank god for people like peterboat and bettieboo who's able to see the good and bad in all my questions yet answer both sides with a fair and levelled reply.

I am(North) Nottinghamshire born & bred and then spent 11 years in Lincolnshire very close to where you were bought up in the 50s (The locals have pointy heads, webbed feet and six fingers on each hand).

I have had 'Grey Fergies' for most of my life.

I currently have a WB boat

Unless you 'ease up a bit' I can see you having trouble adjusting to waterways life - not the boat or the space but the 'rough & tumble', piss taking etc.

I took early retirement at age 46, the boat life is all about fun, frolics and not getting wound up, just slow down & relax.

How much gold braid are you planning on having on your Captains cap ?

Obviously not as much as you.just because you live on the water does not mean you have no respect for others views surely...glad to hear you chose a wb so goes to show despite everything else you do have some sense ....I am old enough and wise enough to know when someone is yanking my chain so my response is nothing more than playing the same stupid game. Not sure all boaters share your outlook on life on the water but hey I'm happy to find out when we finally get our wb built and afloat...with or without a captains cap lol

Don't forget the string of onions, the beret and the bicycle, then you can really feel you are in France.

The beret is an almost extinct form of headgear, when we first moved to France a family in the village sold them on market stalls around the area They had a choice of over 100 makers/suppliers, taking to them the other day & producers of the "chapeau" now numbers 3 & if you want a top quality "jobbie" it's an order with cash up front