To the very cross lady at Cross Green.

MoominPapa

Featured Posts

Yes, I can understand why you were cross. If my boat crashed both ends into the armco and rolled like a 2CV doing a hair-pin bend, I'd be cross too. But the thing is, none of the other boats I passed did that, and, I'm guessing, almost all the boats that passed you caused the same effect. That's probably why you were so grumpy.

The reason for this is that you had the ropes from the ends of your boat tied loosely to rings within the length of your boat, and the centre-rope tied to ring too. The end-ropes do nothing, so the boat surges back and forth and the centre rope ensures the crashing and rolling.

Apart from that, we've had a great day, and met President and Kildare just south of Brewood.

MP.

Edited by MoominPapa
  • Greenie 4

Chap behind me got shouted at to slow down. He was on tick over and politely advised the moored up boater and was told to turn his engine off!

Who are these moored up twats who can't abide a bote passing them.

I almost always pass moored boats on tickover. Such treatment would tempt me to reverse the boat back down the cut, engage forward gear, push the mighty Gardner to full throttle and hurtle past in a welter of spray, calling out "Now THAT'S too fast. Could you tell the difference?"

I don't suppose I shall ever do so, but a chap can dream.

A wet dream?

Chap behind me got shouted at to slow down. He was on tick over and politely advised the moored up boater and was told to turn his engine off!

Who are these moored up twats who can't abide a bote passing them.

There appears to be more of them each year. "Get a ****** caravan" I say.

In the words of a good friend when moaned at by a long term moorer (which means a properly moored boat on a canal?) "I am afraid this is as good as it gets. If you don't like it get a caravan and it won't happen"

Still makes me smile because it is so true.

There are times when moaning about people going too fast is reasonable. Either if they are actually going fast or if you are on mooring pins in dodgy ground. Both of these things should be obvious to the moored boater and the passing boater. Sadly they are not so there will always be friction between moored boats and people passing at a speed other than the minimum required to gain steering control.

Some people do go past too fast when boats are clearly on mooring pins. This seems rude to me.

It's just ignorance really.

I almost always pass moored boats on tickover. Such treatment would tempt me to reverse the boat back down the cut, engage forward gear, push the mighty Gardner to full throttle and hurtle past in a welter of spray, calling out "Now THAT'S too fast. Could you tell the difference?"

I don't suppose I shall ever do so, but a chap can dream.

HOW often have I thought of doing that!

In the words of a good friend when moaned at by a long term moorer (which means a properly moored boat on a canal?) "I am afraid this is as good as it gets. If you don't like it get a caravan and it won't happen"

Still makes me smile because it is so true.

There are times when moaning about people going too fast is reasonable. Either if they are actually going fast or if you are on mooring pins in dodgy ground. Both of these things should be obvious to the moored boater and the passing boater. Sadly they are not so there will always be friction between moored boats and people passing at a speed other than the minimum required to gain steering control.

Some people do go past too fast when boats are clearly on mooring pins. This seems rude to me.

It's just ignorance really.

I'm sure many boaters are unaware.

Like you, I CRAWL past boats on pins or slack lines, but a bit faster for those well secured. Those on slack lines really need to tighten them up. There is very little tide on the canals!

This is a permanent mooring spot on a very narrow bit of Wey. Godalming to be exact. Being narrow and going upstream you are hardly going fast on tick over. Pity about Farncombe unleashing their botes past them weekly.lol.

Edited by mark99

This is a permanent mooring spot on a very narrow bit of Wey. Godalming to be exact. Being narrow and going upstream you are hardly going fast on tick over. Pity about Farncombe unleashing their botes past them weekly.lol.

Is it deep there? I'm surprised that passing boats have that much effect on a river-moored boat.

You do have to take into account that you are on the River Wey ;)

Years ago (about 20) I was castigated for towing a dinghy behind my scruffy narrow boat despite the fact I had paid for a license for both of them (yes).

There is a certain attitude there. Quite looking forward to our half term trip up the Wey on one of my scruffy boats with loads of items on the roof and a dinghy !

I wish I'd been there to see the effect on her boat of that pair going past. She would have been apoplectic for sure. Have a rockin', rollin' greeno.

We'd just passed another pair before this event, so maybe that passing was why she was so grumpy. I don't know if

President and Kildare are turning left or right at Autherley. If it's left, I hope they don't meet anyone in the Pendeford Rockin

MP.

I think this lack of correct mooring is getting worse.

We recently had 18 days on board and noticed more badly moored boats than ever. Most had nappy pins with slack lines tied perpendicularly to the Armco. That will guarantee a noisy and turbulent mooring.

Sorry if this gets the popcorn out, but mooring on pins on known dodgy ground is the fault of the moorer, not a "reasonable" passing boat.

Secondly, the bit I highlighted in red is not a reasonable requirement of passing boaters.

George ex nb Alton retired

• Greenie 1

Out of interest why do you consider it unreasonable?

As long as there is no crosswind, I can control my boat at 1mph or even less.

I consider a request that I navigate at such a speed to accommodate incompetent mooring to be an unreasonable one.

Having said that, if, on looking ahead, I spot a moored boat that is going to be in difficulties, I will slow as much as it takes to alleviate those difficulties if only for the purely selfish motives that it saves me the bother of stopping to retie it.

• Greenie 1

smiley_offtopic.gif

Having untied the other day, I spotted a couple of boats coming along, so I waited and left the boat free. When each boat passed, Tawny moved forwards, then backwards, and ended up parallel to the bank two foot further out. So after two boats we were in a nice position to move off

Richard

smiley_offtopic.gif

Having untied the other day, I spotted a couple of boats coming along, so I waited and left the boat free. When each boat passed, Tawny moved forwards, then backwards, and ended up parallel to the bank two foot further out. So after two boats we were in a nice position to move off

Richard

I use that technique if I am on a lock landing waiting for a boat to leave.

I use that technique if I am on a lock landing waiting for a boat to leave.

Yes, a passing boat will draw you out, but I am amazed at the number of boaters fiercely resisting this motion and then expending much time and effort getting the boat out to where it wanted to be in the first place.

• Greenie 2