How do you find the owner of a boat ??

puppy999

Featured Posts

I have found a boat that is moored on the tow path and is looking in need of some TLC

and its just what I am looking for and if its not moved its likely to get vandalized

It is licence till July 2016

Now I rang the CRT they said to email them and they would get in touch with the owner

and pass my details on.

I emailed them and their reply is that they have no contact details of the owner of this boat ??

Ok am I being thick ??

When you licence your boat don't you have to give your contact details or am I missing something ??

Any advice please xxsad.png

If the boat is licensed, they should have contact details, however, under data protection law they are not allowed to disclose these to you.

It's up to the owner to contact you, but that's if anyone at CRT can be arsed to give him/her your details.

Edited by Beaker

Beaker, on 07 May 2016 - 1:32 PM, said:

If the boat is licensed, they should have contact details, however, under data protection law they are not allowed to disclose these to you.

It's up to the owner to contact you, but that's if anyone at CRT can be arsed to give him/her your details.

That's a bit hard - CaRT aren't under any obligation to pass any details on - so if they do it's a bonus!

Boaters aren't very popular at the moment (complaints, CCing et al) so possibly may be less inclined to help in something that brings them little benefit...

That's a bit hard - CaRT aren't under any obligation to pass any details on - so if they do it's a bonus!

Boaters aren't very popular at the moment (complaints, CCing et al) so possibly may be less inclined to help in something that brings them little benefit...

Beaker is quite right in what he says, and I would add to what he's said, in that C&RT's routine procedure for dealing with boats and situations such as described in the OP is to ignore everything until the boat has been at the very least vandalized, torched, and preferably sunk as well. It will then, eventually, be removed by the costliest methods available, usually involving the unnecessary use of hired in and staggeringly expensive cranes.

However, if someone was living on it and had been exceeding the 14 day limit the Licence would be revoked and the vessel Section 8'd without delay.

• Greenie 1

Thanks for your replies x

Yes it as a number on the side of the boat ..... when I rang CRT the lady was very helpful

She did say that they could not give details out under data protection law but said if I emailed them

with the details of the boat she would pass them on to the owner and leave it to them to get in touch with me

CRT got back to me saying that they don't have any contact details of the owner of this boat xboat.gif

Thanks for your replies x

Yes it as a number on the side of the boat ..... when I rang CRT the lady was very helpful

She did say that they could not give details out under data protection law but said if I emailed them

with the details of the boat she would pass them on to the owner and leave it to them to get in touch with me

CRT got back to me saying that they don't have any contact details of the owner of this boat

Which is demonstrably untrue, . . . as evidenced by the current, valid Licence you say is being displayed.

• Greenie 1

It may well be that CRT had contact details, including an email address at the time the licence was taken out but when they sent an email now (in response to the OP request) it bounced back. Why do folk immediately jump to the conclusion that CRT are being unhelpful instead of thinking there might be an answer.

haggis

• Greenie 3

It may well be that CRT had contact details, including an email address at the time the licence was taken out but when they sent an email now (in response to the OP request) it bounced back. Why do folk immediately jump to the conclusion that CRT are being unhelpful instead of thinking there might be an answer.

haggis

There are ways, other than e-mail, by which C&RT can contact boat owners. Telephone, home address, mooring address, or postal address if the Licence holder is a CC'er.

Given the extent of the claimed constant surveillance of waterways under their control, and all vessels using them, it is somewhat incongruous for C&RT to state that they have no means of contacting the owner of a licensed boat.

If C&RT are regarded as unhelpful and dishonest, then they only have themselves and their track record to blame.

There are ways, other than e-mail, by which C&RT can contact boat owners. Telephone, home address, mooring address, or postal address if the Licence holder is a CC'er.

All of which would cost them in time and resources. Then the CRT "knockers" would be squealing about wasted money.

All of which would cost them in time and resources. Then the CRT "knockers" would be squealing about wasted money.

Nonsense. It would simply entail one person from their massed ranks of salaried office chair polishers spending a few minutes departing from their usual procedures, and do something useful for a change.

• Greenie 1

Nonsense. It would simply entail one person from their massed ranks of salaried office chair polishers spending a few minutes departing from their usual procedures, and do something useful for a change.

Which of course would cost them nothing you think?

If they are looking up a postal address then typing the letter etc it takes them from other jobs and so costs money.

I assume you have definitive proof that there are "massed ranks of salaried office chair polishers" or is that just an assertion due to your own personal jaundiced view of CRT?

leave a note on the boat with your contact detail but most likely its owner is a dumper plenty of them about.

Hia I have already left a note 3wks ago and I really don't think its been "Dumped" as its in fair/good condition

I am thinking they have been taken ill with the way its been left

I have rang the police and hospital with no luck

Thanks for all your replys

Oh as for the CRT I did offer a donation if they could help ??? frusty.gif

Which of course would cost them nothing you think?

If they are looking up a postal address then typing the letter etc it takes them from other jobs and so costs money.

I assume you have definitive proof that there are "massed ranks of salaried office chair polishers" or is that just an assertion due to your own personal jaundiced view of CRT?

Of course it would cost C&RT nothing, . . . the pointless staff in all the imaginary roles they now have are being paid a wage irrespective of whether they do anything or not, and in reality they haven't got enough to do to keep themselves occupied anyway.

One good example of the massed ranks of OCP's is the East Midlands Navigations Orifice, . . . in excess of 70 OCP's, and a great many of them with company vehicles, administering a maintenance workforce which is in single figures.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

Hi there, you could try emailing the details again and hope that the nice lady you spoke to deals with it this time.

I used to work in a hospital department where what level of service you received depended on who dealt with you, especially for odd queries and requests. I suspect that all offices are the same: the jobsworth, the griper, the can't be ast and also people like us. Try again.

• Greenie 1

Hi there, you could try emailing the details again and hope that the nice lady you spoke to deals with it this time.

I used to work in a hospital department where what level of service you received depended on who dealt with you, especially for odd queries and requests. I suspect that all offices are the same: the jobsworth, the griper, the can't be ast and also people like us. Try again.

So true.

It is possible that the boat is a constant cruiser and that is the physical address which CRT have, as to e-mail, the address that CRT have may no longer work.

This is more probably true if the boat is dumped and the owner does not wish CRT to find them, though it sounds like the boat is in good enough condition for sale.

Try calling and asking why they are unable to contact the owner.

• Greenie 1

Another approach is that taken by Emo Philips.

As a child he prayed to God every night for a bicycle. God ignored him.

Then he realised God doesn't work like that. So he stole himself a bicycle, and prayed for forgiveness...

Take the boat, and I'm sure *someone* will be in touch soon enough!

(Just kidding really. Don't steal it.)

Lol Mike like your way of thinking captain.gif

Been to the boat again to day and its covered in leaves

Its not being lived on I tied the zip down on the canopy and its not been touched

There is private moorings across from it and I was talking to a gentleman he

said that the boat as been there 6/7wks and no one as been near it xx boat.gif