Mystery windlass (lock key) found in shed with dust on it

magnetman

Featured Posts

I stumbled across a mystery windlass (lock key) recently.

I have seen them before but never been sure where they originated from. It has two sockets but rather than side by side they are in line and it is cast iron which has been hot dip galvanised.

Its a heavy thing (not my kind of thing other than for collecting) so I told the misses that its a ladies windlass - handy as a weapon if you find yourself threatened by undesirable individuals while operating paddle gear :lol:

Anyway a couple of pictures are hopefully added below.

Does anyone know what D L might stand for? It is very nicely included in the casting.

IMG_20160416_185917772_zpsvovecd9m.jpg

IMG_20160416_185827502_zpsefle06on.jpg

Edited by magnetman

Sorry can't help with the mark but if I may slightly hijack the thread - still concerns a windlass?

It is in the visitor centre at Trevor Basin.

I couldn't decipher the mark but the head has a hole drilled in it.

E.T.A. the W.F.B. Co. at Stockton, Warwickshire sell chromed versions of the twin socket type windlass:

They are heavy though.

Edited by Ray T

Hijacking is welcomed ;)

I also have a windlass with a hole in it and I was told by a knowledgeable type of person that it was so that it could be permanently fitted to the paddle spindle.

It's a long time since I was up that way (2003) but I seem to remember there were a couple of flood locks somewhere on the river soar which had permanently attached windlasses.

(When I say permanently fitted I mean by using pin and a hole drilled into the paddle spindle - obviously removeable but not readily detached)

I also have a windlass with a hole in it and I was told by a knowledgeable type of person that it was so that it could be permanently fitted to the paddle spindle.

Some of the pictures published of the double locks on the Regents Canal when they all had lock keepers, show paddles with permanently. (or at least Semi-permanently), attached windlasses.

I recall some had a very large throw.

That's interesting thanks for that :cheers:

It rang a bell somewhere but I didn't link it with Davey.

I thought they were more yotty too. this item was by the Thames so maybe at some point they sold a windlass for yotty types who occasionally ventured onto the cut?

I stumbled across a mystery windlass (lock key) recently.

I have seen them before but never been sure where they originated from. It has two sockets but rather than side by side they are in line and it is cast iron which has been hot dip galvanised.

Its a heavy thing (not my kind of thing other than for collecting) so I told the misses that its a ladies windlass - handy as a weapon if you find yourself threatened by undesirable individuals while operating paddle gear laugh.png

Anyway a couple of pictures are hopefully added below.

Does anyone know what D L might stand for? It is very nicely included in the casting.

IMG_20160416_185917772_zpsvovecd9m.jpg

IMG_20160416_185827502_zpsefle06on.jpg

Davey and Company Ltd , London.

Ships Chandlers previously based in in a big old warehouse at East India Dock, but now, I think, re-located to Great Dunmow . . . . near Stansted Airport.

When sailing on a Thames barge, I noticed that several of the winch handles- which are probably windlasses too- looked a lot like those used on the cut. Maybe even the same supplier. Makes sense for Davey and company to make them, whether for winding paddle gear or winding winches.

The locks at Lathom on the top of the Rufford Branch flight have some permanent 'windlass' handles and there are others further down the flight too. You have to remember to wind the paddles down before fully opening the gates because the throw of the handle otherwise fouls the gate. Otherwise you have to close the gate and then operate the fixed handle.

This flight also has the dreadfully awkward handcuff locks on chains and a few clough paddles.