Trent from Keadby, advice please.

Kendorr

Featured Posts

I'm intending going down the River Trent from Keadby this June. I'm looking at Monday 13th June when the low tide will be around 8-30 in the morning and the rise and fall is only about 3 meters. I haven't contacted the lock keeper yet, just trying to furnish myself with as much information as possible. I'm expecting to be able to get to Torksey lock in about 6 hours.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Kevin

I have just done from Keadby to shardlow, take the lockie's advice and all will be well. I did Keadby to Torksey and the following day Torksey to Cromwell. Make sure your engine has been serviced and your fuel is clean, the books say you will need a VHF radio but nobody checked and providing the winds not too strong you should have an enjoyable trip. I had squalls with hail but I survived :-)

I'm intending going down the River Trent from Keadby this June. I'm looking at Monday 13th June when the low tide will be around 8-30 in the morning and the rise and fall is only about 3 meters. I haven't contacted the lock keeper yet, just trying to furnish myself with as much information as possible. I'm expecting to be able to get to Torksey lock in about 6 hours.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Kevin

Hull HW on Monday 13 June is predicted for 1322 BST and 7.33m's depth over the Fish Dock Outer Cill [ 6.13m's above Chart Datum] , and at 0830 there will still be a good two and threequarter hours of ebb to run down before flood [ Low water] at Keadby, which should be round about 1115 to 1130. How soon you'll get out of Keadby after flood will depend on whether or not C&RT have bothered to clean out the lock tail of all the sand and mud that builds up to as much as 3-4 feet above the outer cill.

It won't be much of a tide, the next day is the bottom of Neaps, so you won't be getting any help from the tide much further than about Gainsborough, or Lea Marshes [West Burton] at best, and, depending on what speed your boat can make, you'll almost certainly be under ebb by the time you get to Torksey.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

Hull HW on Monday 13 June is predicted for 1322 BST and 7.33m's depth over the Fish Dock Outer Cill [ 6.13m's above Chart Datum] , and at 0830 there will still be a good two and threequarter hours of ebb to run down before flood [ Low water] at Keadby, which should be round about 1115 to 1130. How soon you'll get out of Keadby after flood will depend on whether or not C&RT have bothered to clean out the lock tail of all the sand and mud that builds up to as much as 3-4 feet above the outer cill.

It won't be much of a tide, the next day is the bottom of Neaps, so you won't be getting any help from the tide much further than about Gainsborough, or Lea Marshes [West Burton] at best, and, depending on what speed your boat can make, you'll almost certainly be under ebb by the time you get to Torksey.

All good advice, I'm sure, but is it really couched in terms that a novice can understand? 'Under ebb' 'Hull HW' 'Lock tail' 'Bottom of Neaps'? I've done this run a few times in both directions, so I know what you mean by these things, but this guy is clearly a beginner

All good advice, I'm sure, but is it really couched in terms that a novice can understand? 'Under ebb' 'Hull HW' 'Lock tail' 'Bottom of Neaps'? I've done this run a few times in both directions, so I know what you mean by these things, but this guy is clearly a beginner

Well, . . . if there is anything he doesn't understand he has got 9 weeks to ask for a further explanation.

I don't think that attempting to explain anything in terms other than those in long established, common use will ultimately be doing anyone any favours, however inexperienced, or unfamiliar, with the subject they may be.

• Greenie 2

I have just done from Keadby to shardlow, take the lockie's advice and all will be well. I did Keadby to Torksey and the following day Torksey to Cromwell. Make sure your engine has been serviced and your fuel is clean, the books say you will need a VHF radio but nobody checked and providing the winds not too strong you should have an enjoyable trip. I had squalls with hail but I survived :-)

VHF isn't compulsory although I found it useful if only for peace of mind because it was my first time on tidal waters. Navigation lights are supposed to be a requirement but we didn't have them and neither did a lot of others, and nobody was challenged presumably because it was daylight and good visibility.

It's a great trip and if you take the advice of the lockie you'll be fine.

The big advantage of VHF (apart from the safety aspect) is that the locks are all manned, and they have VHF.

You can call up your next lock and say "15 minutes away, can you turn the lock in our favour", to which you will be answered, "no problem- gates will be open, come straight in", or " I am locking someone else up, slow down, take your time, and I'll call you when the gates are open".

Saves an awful lot of time bumbling about waiting for up to half an hour whilst the lock cycles.

The big advantage of VHF (apart from the safety aspect) is that the locks are all manned, and they have VHF.

You can call up your next lock and say "15 minutes away, can you turn the lock in our favour", to which you will be answered, "no problem- gates will be open, come straight in", or " I am locking someone else up, slow down, take your time, and I'll call you when the gates are open".

Saves an awful lot of time bumbling about waiting for up to half an hour whilst the lock cycles.

We found this particularly useful on the Yorkshire Ouse when on our approach we contacted the lock keeper and he told us he had just let out a large grain/gravel? barge and for us to expect it coming around the bend. The same thing happened on the South Yorks navigations when we contacted him by VHF a lockie told us to look out for the huge Humber Princess tanker which would be imminently approaching.

You can of course contact them by phone providing you can get signal, but IMO a VHF is a very useful tool if you intend to do rivers regularly. You can also suss the movements of other craft by listening in on your VHF and more easily get advice or help if you get into difficulties.

When we went in at West Stockwith a few years ago the lockie said the lock would be ready,so we headed straight there, only to be met by closed gates and a full lock with a couple of cruisers visible. So we had to go on past, turn and then punch the ebbing tide to get back. It all took a long time and on full revs we were only making slow progress against the current. But it did give the cruisers time to get out of our way.

VHF isn't compulsory although I found it useful if only for peace of mind because it was my first time on tidal waters. Navigation lights are supposed to be a requirement but we didn't have them and neither did a lot of others, and nobody was challenged presumably because it was daylight and good visibility.

It's a great trip and if you take the advice of the lockie you'll be fine.

On the contrary VHF, together with a requirement to have a minimum of two people on board, is compulsory on all sections of the navigation controlled by Associated British Ports (ABP) – in this instance Keadby to Gainsborough.

Now whether this is policed or not may be a different matter. However, should there be an incident that involves an insurance claim, in not complying with the navigational bylaws you've just given your insurance company a massive amount of 'wriggle-room'.

Thank you folks.

I have chosen 13th June because of the tides, I do also understand this is a neap tide. I am hoping that with more water still in the Trent at low tide, there will be more chance of getting out of Keadby. Being my first time on the river, I'm trying to make it as relaxed as possible. I do intend purchasing a VHF radio and have just started looking at what is available. Any advice on something for occasional use would be appreciated, I'm thinking a 'walkie talkie' type would suffice.

And...... I really must get my terminology correct, sorry folks, I'm going up the Trent :-)

Kevin

Thank you folks.

I have chosen 13th June because of the tides, I do also understand this is a neap tide. I am hoping that with more water still in the Trent at low tide, there will be more chance of getting out of Keadby. Being my first time on the river, I'm trying to make it as relaxed as possible. I do intend purchasing a VHF radio and have just started looking at what is available. Any advice on something for occasional use would be appreciated, I'm thinking a 'walkie talkie' type would suffice.

And...... I really must get my terminology correct, sorry folks, I'm going up the Trent :-)

Kevin

I would commend this book from the RYA, which tells you all you need to know (and quite a bit extra). They also do an e-book version.

The IWA do a useful guide to tell you which channel to use, here

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

Thank you folks.

Kevin

If that's what you're hoping for, then you're in for a disappointment because there isn't any more water [depth] in the river at Keadby at LW Neaps than there is at LW Springs.

You've got some duff information from somewhere, . . presumably the same source that's led you to think that flood [LW] at Keadby is at 0830 BST on Monday 13 June 2016.

Thank you folks.

Kevin

If by "walki-talkie" you mean a 'hand-held' then yes that would be fine.

Ensure if you are buying from such as E-Bay that you are buying a MARINE VHF radio.

VHF covers a wide range of frequencies and you may end up with a Taxi frequency radio.

The Rivers (are by their very nature) set low down and have banks which may well be above the height of the aerial on a Hand-held radio so you really need to get the maximum allowed power (which is 6 watts).

VHF radios are basically 'line of sight' and the extra power will help your signal 'punch thru' trees etc.

Alternatively mount a MARINE VHF aerial on your boat to get a bit more height (height = signal distance) You MUST use the correct MARINR VHF aerial to get the SWR correct or you could 'blow up' your radio output).

Thank you folks.

Kevin

Arguably the best Trent guide for leisure boaters is:

Narrowboat on the Trent (Richlow Boaters' Companions)

by John Lower – a man with many years experience boating the river.

I'd second the recommendation for the RYA VHF book.

If that's what you're hoping for, then you're in for a disappointment because there isn't any more water [depth] in the river at Keadby at LW Neaps than there is at LW Springs.

You've got some duff information from somewhere, . . presumably the same source that's led you to think that flood [LW] at Keadby is at 0830 BST on Monday 13 June 2016.

This is all information I have gleaned myself through the interweb. I'm led to believe that Keadby high water is about 1 hour 15 minutes after Hull and I simply assumed low water would also be 1 hour 15 minutes after Hull. Low water Hull is 7:05. Your comment is now making me think that Low water in Keadby would be 1 hour 15 minutes before that?

As I've already said, I'm looking for advice and happy to take it.

Thanks again

Kevin

A lot of people don't realise that at Cromwell, that for every tide 'cycle' you only have tide coming in for 1 hour (flood) and 11 hours of tide going out (ebb).

The number of people I have had to 'educate' that think its 6 hours flood then 6 hours ebb.

Rivers are strange places, and, can be much more complicated than the open sea.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Kevin

Where are you going to down from Keadby?

El cheapo 3w handheld will do the job yes, you don't need DSC or anything fancy. It's good fun, and not scary at all once you get out there.

But you do need to go on a course to get a certificate.

A lot of people don't realise that at Cromwell, that for every tide 'cycle' you only have tide coming in for 1 hour (flood) and 11 hours of tide going out (ebb).

The number of people I have had to 'educate' that think its 6 hours flood then 6 hours ebb.

Rivers are strange places, and, can be much more complicated than the open sea.

And so much so that the lockies can get their judgement awry on occasions.