The Boat House Braunston

sharpness

Featured Posts

On the other hand, another meal I had in a dog-friendly pub with Coasty somewhat marred by a large dog, labarador I think, roaming the pub at will and periodically approaching our (low) table and attempting to stick its nose in my dinner.

I think it was in the Nelson but I;m not sure. Coasty will remember, like most gurls she has a memory like a heffalump and can quote five year old conversations verbatim. But I digress, as someone once said...

Anyway back to the point. The bahaviour of that dog is the sort of reason peeps prefer dogs to be kept out of eating establishments.

Nooo, not the Nelson, it was the Plough (see? :D ). The dog was a nice dog-it's his owners that sat there smiling and nodding while he begged from our plates that should have been kept on a lead.

Surely the issue with dogs, kids or 'spoons customers is the same -- clean quiet well-behaved ones are fine, noisy smelly slobbery ones who stick their noses into your food aren't?

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 2

The Macyd's in St. Malo certainly sells beer (lager!) and I am pretty sure both in Calais do too.

Why in God's name would you go to McD's in St Malo with all those lovely sea food restaurants there?

Mind you the last time I was there for a long weekend I struggled to find anything that wasn't seafood...

Why in God's name would you go to McD's in St Malo with all those lovely sea food restaurants there?Mind you the last time I was there for a long weekend I struggled to find anything that wasn't seafood...

Similar, passing through en route to the ferry after two weeks in France and a bit overdosed on French cuisine.

Hope they are still doing 2 for 1, or 2 meals for £10 or whatever it was!

On the subject of Weatherspoons, I ate at the one in Ellesmere Port a few nights in a row last weekend. Walked into the toilets to find 2 guys doing coke off the toilet seat in a cubicle with the door wide open. Food was reasonable though.

How much was the coke?

Tim

I've eaten in the close presence of a dog for almost 6 years now, and many years in the past with previous dogs. It has never done me any harm, nor any of those who dined with us. Can't understand the fuss. Most pubs have a 'dog on lead' policy, which should be observed.

we tied Roxy up under our table in dog friendly pub at Foxton, the lead came loose and she slunk under all the tables to farthest corner of the room....a very apologetic lady returned her..she had dropped some of her food and Roxy had spotted it.....normally well behaved but that was one temptation she couldn't ignore.

Edited by patty-ann

we tied Roxy up under our table in dog friendly pub at Foxton, the lead came loose and she slunk under all the tables to farthest corner of the room....a very apologetic lady returned her..she had dropped some of her food and Roxy had spotted it.....normally well behaved but that was one temptation she couldn't ignore.

When Simon was much younger we were sat outside a cafe in Domme France with him dutifully sat under my seat. After a while I became aware the lead was a tad light and I sensed he was no longer on the end of it.

I pulled it up to reveal a raggy chewed end with no dog on the end of it. He had slyly chewed through it to effect his escape through the inside into the kitchens. Thankfully the owner saw the funny side as he emerged from the cafe with our dog under his arm licking his chops. We never found out what he had managed to steal.

I doubt it would have done me any harm either, had I allowed that dog to help itself from my plate.

But that isn't the point is it?

Well alright, no it isn't. Smartarse!

Dogs should never get to learn that human food tastes good, that way they lie on the floor, perfectly happy, whilst owners eat.

If they get a taste for human food they sit there drooling, watching, and getting all agitated. Labradors are the worse.

Human food makes them fart bad too.

...............Dave

That's exactly right. Our dog considers 'human feeding time' as a time to go and find something else to do. He doesn't associate pubs and restaurants as somewhere to get food, 'cos he's never had any of ours. Well, almost never, anyway.

Why in God's name would you go to McD's in St Malo with all those lovely sea food restaurants there?

Mind you the last time I was there for a long weekend I struggled to find anything that wasn't seafood...

Many people over the years have said how good French food is, and how boring English food is.

My visits to ALL of Brittany revealed that all you get is moules frites, in a dishwater-like sauce, It's rubbish. OK, they do good bread, as long as you eat it that morning, otherwise it becomes a lightweight 'club', with which to strike one's critical husband.

Oh, and those bloody crumbly croissant things, which always make me look a total ARSE because I'm covered in shrapnel and fallout.

French food? Shove it.

Give me a decent pizza anyday!

That's exactly right. Our dog considers 'human feeding time' as a time to go and find something else to do. He doesn't associate pubs and restaurants as somewhere to get food, 'cos he's never had any of ours. Well, almost never, anyway.

The closest call was in the Great Western Arms at Aynho. Due to some issue or other the chef had two steaks going spare and wondered if our dog would like them. It was very tempting but we stood firm and said no. If dog got to associate going to the pub with eating steak we would never have a quiet night in a pub ever again. Its hard enough keeping her off the sofas.

................Dave

No reason to disbelieve what you're saying, but very strange that it's not on their list, and they don't sell it in 1 of the 3 Mc Do's in this town.

It's probably a healthier drink than the soda's they sell.

For me, all I'm interested in at the Mc Do's is their good wifi-signal and their toilets.

Peter.

Many people over the years have said how good French food is, and how boring English food is.

My visits to ALL of Brittany revealed that all you get is moules frites, in a dishwater-like sauce, It's rubbish. OK, they do good bread, as long as you eat it that morning, otherwise it becomes a lightweight 'club', with which to strike one's critical husband.

Oh, and those bloody crumbly croissant things, which always make me look a total ARSE because I'm covered in shrapnel and fallout.

French food? Shove it.

Give me a decent pizza anyday!

As a good friend of mine said "No wonder the French are grumpy....they don't have bacon for breakfast...."

Cheers

Gareth

Eaten here three times now, first time was 2014, food was really good then the next time we visited i think the landlord had changed and it was crap, then stopped there last year and the food was worse!

Anyone coming through up the coventry past the Anchor, i highly recommend the food in there now, the same landlord has had it for a couple of years now which is a long time for that pub as its always changing hands, his son has come aboard with him and really took it up a level, they have just put a sizzler van in the garden also which i hope to try when it opens.

Eaten here three times now, first time was 2014, food was really good then the next time we visited i think the landlord had changed and it was crap, then stopped there last year and the food was worse!

Anyone coming through up the coventry past the Anchor, i highly recommend the food in there now, the same landlord has had it for a couple of years now which is a long time for that pub as its always changing hands, his son has come aboard with him and really took it up a level, they have just put a sizzler van in the garden also which i hope to try when it opens.

We used to use The Anchor at Hartshill a lot when we moored at Springwood Haven. It had had its ups and downs but its best period was when it was run by a chef called Mark and his friend, who knew what they were doing. They were there for several years, have they moved on now?

We used to use The Anchor at Hartshill a lot when we moored at Springwood Haven. It had had its ups and downs but its best period was when it was run by a chef called Mark and his friend, who knew what they were doing. They were there for several years, have they moved on now?

The only Mark i knew who run it was a gay chap and his boyfriend, but that was near 20 years ago now?

The only Mark i knew who run it was a gay chap and his boyfriend, but that was near 20 years ago now?

Yes, those were they. From memory, they were still there in 2005, which is when we sold our boat at Springwood.

I thought they had left a long time before that but i may be wrong, my dad was good friends with them and he used to visit them in the new pub they had in London.

It has changed hands so many times, but it looks like the landlord in place is there for a while, they have given it a new look on the outside and hopefully they stay a while, stopped there about a month ago and had food and it was very good, plus a great ale they had on tap, cant remember the name of it but really tasted of chocolate!

Edited by Dave Payne

I'm always amazed at how beautiful the loos are in W's no matter where the pub is. Other chains could learn.

Rog

Although I'm not normally a detractor of Wetherspoons, I was in one in Hereford this weekend where two smashed urinal bowls were not actually cordoned off out of use, and had instead been "repaired" with Duct tape!

They are certainly not all perfect!