What are lock landings?

bastion

Featured Posts

[quote name="furnessvale" post="1789966" timestamp="1458757042

There are several locations on the Upper Peak Forest where a boat tied against the towpath is liable to be "tapped" by my counter as I go round.

George ex nb Alton retired

I hope you're not saying it's a contact sport

Edited by MHS

Guilty as charged -

Well of using the very end of a lock landing ie the very last bollard for the bow rope and the stern was fastened with a pin. We couldn't get moored once in Thorne on the S&K one time but managed by tying the bow to the very last bollard and left the whole landing clear on Thorne lock.

I don't reckon that was too much of an 'offence', of course it would be one of the times another forum member came chugging along but they didn't have any sort of a problem getting on the landing so had the good grace not to complain.

Me too. Misterton on the Chesterfield. I think we saw one boat that day, and nobody came past while we were moored. Lovely canal, but mooring was a bit of an art form.

dscf5912.jpg

Here on the K&A. mooring using the end bollard is commonplace and accepted general practice.

(Along with water points, as long as you move after a few days...)

Is this because the taps are slow running, or because the boats have humungous tanks? (Tongue in cheek smiley).

Here on the K&A. mooring using the end bollard is commonplace and accepted general practice.

(Along with water points, as long as you move after a few days...)

That's the only canal I've seen, so far, where the water points ARE moorings.

Strange isn't it. I assume it's because so little of the towpath is readily available to moor.

Rog

Strange isn't it. I assume it's because so little of the towpath is readily available to moor.

Rog

Au contraire. For expeienced K&A boaters, ALL of the towpath is available to moor.

It's only you softies from the midlands accustomed to piling everywhere who have trouble mooring on the K&A...

;)

Rog

Market Harborough arm the water points are also moorings

When mooring I keep as far away from locks as you can (and bridges and bends and narrow stretches and toilets and water points).

Imagine you are an approaching boat and consider the inconvenience that would be caused if a boat was moored where you said.

As others have said, if moored in an awkward position, you will cause bad feeling and annoyance.

You risk getting bumped, cussed, shouted at and even sworn at - (but not necessarily in that order).

There are two Bassett hounds that regularly walk the towpath opposite us. Owned by the same person, one is elderly a d one a pup.

I say walk, what usually happens is that the owner walks, whilst the dogs sniff, so he has to keep returning to move them along!

Market Harborough arm the water points are also moorings

Doh ! Indeed they are.

Au contraire. For expeienced K&A boaters, ALL of the towpath is available to moor.

It's only you softies from the midlands accustomed to piling everywhere who have trouble mooring on the K&A...

;)

Guilty as charged.

There's some lovely mooring spots.....but hard work to get in on first arrival.

Rog