Weed hatch seals?

Featured Posts

We need a new seal for a weedhatch.
- The prevous stuff was low density sticky back foam sealing strip. Which tbh, was poor at best, and has not aged well.

Does anyone know where i can get a sheet of high density neoprene foam, about 3/5mm thick, large enough to do a 370*300 and 400*150mm area in a single piece.

Or if anyone else has any thoughts on what i could use and from where?

Daniel

How about security glazing tape? From double glazing stockists, comes in a variety of thicknesses, most readily available seems to be 5mm, sticks like sh*t to a blanket. Once stuck it will only come off by cutting through the tape. It's for fiiting double glazed sealed units into PVC frames with external beading, so is waterproof. Since it's double sided you have to leave the protective tape on the top half. I use it for allsorts of jobs. Sticks things to walls a treat.

Or what about self adhesive heavy duty draught sealer?

I think you can get neoprene from dive shops.

But this lot sell it http://www.uniquescrapstore.com/products/art_mod.html

- The prevous stuff was sticky back foam strip. Which tbh, was poor at best, and has not aged well.

Well the stuff I used for our water tank access hatch was sticky-backed neoprene weed hatch tape from Limekiln, about 3mm thick. Sticks like smelly stuff to a cozy thing and seems very tough and resilient.

edit: It was too wide at 2", so I cut off 1/2" with a stanley knife, and used that to bed down our kitchen sink.

Edited by Moley

Right, sounds like this stickback neoprene tape is the way to go then!

I'll stick it the hatch side this time as well I think as then it wont get mullered when your leaving over it reaching down.

Daniel

Mine is some kind of neoprene material but I found a small amount of water coming through the gaps where the strips joined.

I smeared some PU sealant on the joints and let it go off completely before replacing the weedhatch cover.

If you can't find neoprene I reckon you could thin rubber sheet or even bicycle tyre tubes stuck down with PU sealant.

Yeah, Ithough of running some rubber cement in the join too but hopefully its high enough it will seal ok without.

- Dave (Yamanx) has kindly put some neoprene seal strip in with our rudder parts, so hopfully that will sort us right out.

Thankyou all very much!

Daniel

Well, here we go!
- We shall see how said bright idea of sticking in the lid goes well.

Looks similar to this stuff if anyone else is looking for some.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Neoprene-sponge-rubber-self-adhesive-strip-20mm-x-5mm-x-5m-/170969627796?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27ce957c94

imgp5258bk0.jpg

Daniel

• 9 years later...

This is a really old thread.

#######

We have recently been in dry dock. I replaced the dodgy looking seal from the weed hatch. I replaced with a gasket I formed out of a roll of rubber that I had 'in stock'. However, my thoughts are the rubber is too hard and I have a slight ingress of the Leeds and Liverpool canal seeping in.

Reading this thread suggests my thoughts are correct. My rubber is to hard and a sticky back neoprene strip is the way to go.

We are near Gargrave, no transport, it's Saturday! any suggestions? It's not leaking too much and the bilge pump works well.

Martyn

This is a really old thread.

We have recently been in dry dock. I replaced the dodgy looking seal from the weed hatch. I replaced with a gasket I formed out of a roll of rubber that I had 'in stock'. However, my thoughts are the rubber is too hard and I have a slight ingress of the Leeds and Liverpool canal seeping in.

Reading this thread suggests my thoughts are correct. My rubber is to hard and a sticky back neoprene strip is the way to go.

We are near Gargrave, no transport, it's Saturday! any suggestions? It's not leaking too much and the bilge pump works well.

Martyn

You could just run a thick bead of silicone around it, if you have any, and whop the lid back down on it. if you smear some grease around the contact area on the lid the silicone won't stick to it. Will do fine until you get the right stuff.

I believe it's common practice to buy a cheapo closed cell foam 'carry mat' from a camping shop and use a single full-lid sized piece. No seams or joins and you can cut almost a lifetime supply from one mat so you'll always have a spare when you need it.

I've not had the weed hatch off my barge except to check it when I first got it. Since then I clear the prop with a cabin shaft (boat hook) sitting in the dinghy - last week I had a sleeping bag on it that was fun!! the weedhatch seal does indeed look like a bit of camping mat and works fine.

Not certain but it looks like it.

Edit to add a bit and clarificate

Edited by magnetman

- The prevous stuff was low density sticky back foam sealing strip. Which tbh, was poor at best, and has not aged well.

Does anyone know where i can get a sheet of high density neoprene foam, about 3/5mm thick, large enough to do a 370*300 and 400*150mm area in a single piece.

Or if anyone else has any thoughts on what i could use and from where?

Daniel

Sleeping mats, just visit where there has been a festival for the weekend. I find it last for years. I cut it to fit the plate and a hole in the middle to thread it over the bottom plate, I havent bothered to stick it to the plate, it seems to stick by its self. Much better seal

Depending on direction of travel, pop into Pennine Cruisers at the Springs Branch junction in Skipton. They do a nice squashy self adhesive tape about IIRC 3" wide (off a roll). Nice white finish and easily cut with scissors or craft knife. I did my weed hatch about a year ago with a staggered joint at each corner (after repainting the mating flange). My hatch comes off most cruising days and I get no seepage/leakage.