Great deal on deionised water

Jon57

Featured Posts

Ok two questions leap to mind:

1) Who uses so much deionised water they actually know what it costs? (I use about one litre per lifetime).

2) What on earth is it anyway? Back in the day distilled water was order of the day.

I am not getting this at all.

I have run a boat fairly hard for the last six years and I'm only half way down the original 1 litre bottle I bought in 2010. Do you use it for washing ? Adding to single malt ? What would I do with 25 litres ? By the time you factor the value of the storage space it is nuts to bulk buy

.cheers.gif

Peter

I have run a boat fairly hard for the last six years and I'm only half way down the original 1 litre bottle I bought in 2010. Do you use it for washing ? Adding to single malt ? What would I do with 25 litres ? By the time you factor the value of the storage space it is nuts to bulk buy

.cheers.gif

Peter

My point exactly.

I think I still have the bottle of distilled water I bought in 1972, so little do I ever need.

1) Who uses so much deionised water they actually know what it costs? (I use about one litre per lifetime).

Some use it to mix with antifreeze in engine coolant and central heating systems instead of tap water to reduce corrosion. On my boat that would use around 7 litres of water per year on average, (changing out coolant every other year).

On your second question I have no idea.

Some use it to mix with antifreeze in engine coolant and central heating systems instead of tap water to reduce corrosion. On my boat that would use around 7 litres of water per year on average, (changing out coolant every other year).

That's a new one on me. What is the evidence that it reduces corrosion? I'm definitely interested now!

My point exactly.

I think I still have the bottle of distilled water I bought in 1972, so little do I ever need.

Its these Trojans that are the problem, just like their owners they do like a drink.

I just bought a 5 litre pot of deionised water at a local hardware shop for £3.49.

I get a fair bit of stuff on-line (eBay) but try hard to support the local shops even if it means paying a little more.

Devizes still has 2 excellent hardware shops that do ok despite a B&Q on the edge of town.

Today I got the water at one hardware shop, some colour-matched paint for the engine room at the other hardware shop, and a fuel filter at the little car bits shop! It was all much nicer than shopping on eBay.

Had a look on eBay later and the fuel filter was marginally cheaper than those on eBay!!!!!

Mike, deioinised is second rate distilled, but its really hard to get distilled these days.

.............Dave

All you chaps with wet-cell lead-acid batteries, if they're not using water, you're not getting the best out of them. You're not charging them to sufficient capacity, and often.

Can you expand on that please.

That's a new one on me. What is the evidence that it reduces corrosion? I'm definitely interested now!

I've seen it on car forums where they reckon 'everybody' uses it in their coolant these days. Whether that's true and whether it would make any difference I have absolutely no idea.

Tony

I use it in my full tractions 12 of them dont know how much they use just top the self watering system

.cheers.gif

Peter

All you chaps with wet-cell lead-acid batteries, if they're not using water, you're not getting the best out of them. You're not charging them to sufficient capacity, and often.

I've seen it on car forums where they reckon 'everybody' uses it in their coolant these days. Whether that's true and whether it would make any difference I have absolutely no idea.

Tony

. I use it in my cooling system if its good enough for Jaguar.............. and lastly my iron {not much grantedclapping.gif ]

This is actually a "well known fact". The workshop manual for my engine says use tap water only as a last resort and replace it asap, but I reckon that's over the top. I think its the chlorine. I think collected rainwater is ok as long as you don't live near a recycling incinerator.

Keepers of tropical fish always leave tap water to stand for a day or two before topping up the fish tank so I reckon that's ok for engines too.

...................Dave

. I use it in my cooling system if its good enough for Jaguar.............. and lastly my iron {not much grantedclapping.gif ]

So no evidence it prevents corrosion then!

"I use it in my Jaguar" is not evidence, and simply doesn't cut it for me.

I use it in my full tractions 12 of them dont know how much they use just top the self watering system

Gillie got a really neat small travel iron when we moved onto the boat, don't think I've seen it used for a few years now!

...............Dave

This is actually a "well known fact". The workshop manual for my engine says use tap water only as a last resort and replace it asap, but I reckon that's over the top. I think its the chlorine. I think collected rainwater is ok as long as you don't live near a recycling incinerator.

Keepers of tropical fish always leave tap water to stand for a day or two before topping up the fish tank so I reckon that's ok for engines too.

...................Dave

On reflection, I suspect the reason for not using tap water is calcium precipitation. When heated for the first time, any calcium in water precipitates and sticks to the hot surfaces. Change your cooling water annually and quite a bit of calcium water scale will be deposited in the life of an engine.

Nothing to do with corrosion, but yer average car driving spod won't appreciate the difference.

On reflection, I suspect the reason for not using tap water is calcium precipitation. When heated for the first time, any calcium in water precipitates and sticks to the hot surfaces. Change your cooling water annually and quite a bit of calcium water scale will be deposited in the life of an engine.

Nothing to do with corrosion, but yer average car driving spod won't appreciate the difference.

As you know we have the JD3, we are just not in your league when it comes to engines! the JD3 has pretty harsh combustion which is why its so efficient but I know John Deere are concerned about erosion of the liners due to cavitation from the the local shockwaves in the water, not sure how tap water relates to this, but this could be discussed over a beer!!!!!

...............Dave