Red Diesel question

GreenDuck

Featured Posts

Will I be expected to pay a 60/40 split if buying to take away in a 20 liter container?

Depends where you buy it from as there are a few places that will only sell it to you at that split.

Strictly they shouldn't as it should be based on self deceleration.

They are very much in the minority thankfully.

Martin

it is going into a can (there is a limit on the size) so no declaration is required, it is only if it goes directly into a boat (tank) is it necessary to declare.

If anyone is asking for a declaration, with it going into a can, is wrong.

Depends where you buy it from as there are a few places that will only sell it to you at that split.

Strictly they shouldn't as it should be based on self deceleration.

They are very much in the minority thankfully.

Sorry, I just couldn't stop myself!

Martin

it is going into a can (there is a limit on the size) so no declaration is required, it is only if it goes directly into a boat (tank) is it necessary to declare.

Ah yes of course.

Handy fully clocked the can bit.

That said I am sure Sawley use a self service pump that doesn't monitor what you are actually are putting the fuel in and they only sell at 60/40 (or rather they used to)

Edited by MJG

Martin

There is a limit to how much they can sell you into cans before details are taken also if you don't want to declare, regardless of whether you have to, the seller doesn't have to sell it to you.

Not sure about now..but a few years back..

I used to buy fuel from a well known towpath guy..near Burton. He had done this for some years. I asked about the legality...and he said that because he advertised himself widely...he was chased and checked all the time by HMRC and the police ( to make sure it wasn't stolen farm fuel).

I asked how much I could buy without paperwork..??... he said that I could have any quantity I liked...but each tin must not hold a drop over 20 litres. he said..I could have as many 20 litre tins as I liked..( he said that was legal)...but each tin must be 20 litres...or less....and needed no papeworkl...He said it was a 'loophole'...and indeed..the last lot of fuel I had was within sight of a police car that was watching him.

I guess that you are supposed to declare this to HMRC...(as of course..I did.....)

What additives?

Since the introduction of USLD, red diesel is white diesel (DERV) with a red eye added.

The only other additive is an antiwaxing agent, which is added in the winter to prevent the waxes (which can occur at very low temperatures) from clogging thecfuel filters.

The only exceptions are "super diesels" such as Shell V Power, which contain cetane boosters to improve performance.

• 5 months later...

Since the introduction of USLD, red diesel is white diesel (DERV) with a red eye added.

The only other additive is an antiwaxing agent, which is added in the winter to prevent the waxes (which can occur at very low temperatures) from clogging thecfuel filters.

The only exceptions are "super diesels" such as Shell V Power, which contain cetane boosters to improve performance.

This is partly true. 'Branded' fuels, such as Esso, Shell, BP, Texaco, etc contain additional additives, such as upper cylinder lubricants, cleaning agents, anti-bug additives, etc. One of the reasons supermarket fuel is a bit cheaper, is that they don't contain these additives. Fact. They are added at the point of loading the tanker at the refinery. So it does depend on which white diesel you are referring to. I tend to run my car primarily on supermarket fuel (because it's cheaper), but every 3rd or 4th tankful, will fill up at Shell or Esso. You could achieve the same thing on the boat by putting a shot of diesel Redex in once in a while. This is even more important if you are using the engine on tickover for battery charging for long periods.

Also worth being aware that since the introduction of a biofuel element, the brown sludge bug has made its appearance. This cost the retail industry a fortune until they understood what was going on. The bug grows primarily at any fuel/water interface, so it's worth keeping your tanks full in winter, consider an anti-bug additive and/or a fuel polishing system. It is capable of clogging up filters in no time.

This is partly true. 'Branded' fuels, such as Esso, Shell, BP, Texaco, etc contain additional additives, such as upper cylinder lubricants, cleaning agents, anti-bug additives, etc. One of the reasons supermarket fuel is a bit cheaper, is that they don't contain these additives. Fact. They are added at the point of loading the tanker at the refinery. So it does depend on which white diesel you are referring to. I tend to run my car primarily on supermarket fuel (because it's cheaper), but every 3rd or 4th tankful, will fill up at Shell or Esso. You could achieve the same thing on the boat by putting a shot of diesel Redex in once in a while. This is even more important if you are using the engine on tickover for battery charging for long periods.

Also worth being aware that since the introduction of a biofuel element, the brown sludge bug has made its appearance. This cost the retail industry a fortune until they understood what was going on. The bug grows primarily at any fuel/water interface, so it's worth keeping your tanks full in winter, consider an anti-bug additive and/or a fuel polishing system. It is capable of clogging up filters in no time.

Interesting. Would you advise FAME free diesel (I always try to use FAME free) , and do you have a preference for any particular additive? Cheers.

Interesting. Would you advise FAME free diesel (I always try to use FAME free) , and do you have a preference for any particular additive? Cheers.

I don't find there is ever any choice. When my tank is low I'll fill up with whatever the boatyard or fuel boat sells, rather than risk running out.

I don't find there is ever any choice. When my tank is low I'll fill up with whatever the boatyard or fuel boat sells, rather than risk running out.

One place I fill up is FAME free at Nantwitch. I get as far as I can on that, take my chances elsewhere, then fill up there again near home for the winter. The rest goes in by can over the winter (again FAME free.) I like to have FAME free in during cold weather, and plenty of M16.

Spencer sells Fame free from his boatyard and boats, but you need to be central or Western K&A to get it. Norbury wharf is also fame free. Interestingly these are two of the cheapest suppliers on the cut even though Fame Free is reputed to be more expensive. The entire ABC hire empire also usually sell Fame Free but its a bit more costly, though not at the silly end of pricing.

..................Dave