diesel in engine bilge

Featured Posts

Hi All, i have what appears to be diesel in the engine bilge, not a great deal, but enough to put a mop in every couple of weeks, removing perhaps a 1/2 litre (not ideal)

I'm sure it isn't emulsified engine oil as the oil level remains constant

The engine is a beta marine 42, with around 6000 hours, serviced regularly

Wondered if anyone has any knowledge regarding this, with this type of engine.

Many thanks!

Welcome to the forum

Check all pipe work and connections from tank to engine and return.

Slow and laborious wipe all joints, paper towel or similar and then check daily especially when the engine has been running.

Oil doesn't smell anywhere near as strongly as diesel.Diesel evaporates more easily. If it's diesel the smell hits you as soon as you lift the boards. I once had this problem and in my case whoever did the service slackened off an injector feed to bleed air out of the system but forgot to tighten it up again. As others have said, check all the fuel lines and potential bleed areas.

Hi All, i have what appears to be diesel in the engine bilge, not a great deal, but enough to put a mop in every couple of weeks, removing perhaps a 1/2 litre (not ideal)

Many thanks!

I have the same issue and have traced it to a corroded side wall (which had just been painted over) with pin sized holes, this looks to have happened from rain erosion near the deck draining point and splashing.

Many thanks!

Beta did have some duff fuel filters where the actual castings leaked diesel so give them a good wipe and inspection as well.

If you clean all the joints that may be weeping and spray this developer powder on it will show if there is a leak.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/30290-AA-AMBERSIL-DETECTOR-DEVELOPER-COATING/dp/B017WEP664/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1452522022&sr=8-3&keywords=AMBERSIL+FLAW+DETECTOR

But the surfaces must be clean and dry.

At work, I used to use a different brand - a few years ago now - but I can not remember which. But it is basically it sounds like the same stuff.

Grateful thanks all.

Had a look this afternoon and found what i would describe as a bleed screw (knurled nut) on the side of a filter housing, undone!!

hand tightened up so finger crossed.

over the weekend, did check and wiped most fittings and pipes around the injectors, but other than old 'oilish' residue, nothing looked like fresh derv. Also ran the engine for an hour and checked again. Not showing signs of leakage!

ditchcrawler - good shout, will clean around all filter housings next if the bleed screw isn't the issue!

oh, its a B43, not 42. Doh!

You're better off using cheap disposable nappies to get diesel residue out of the bilges. Chuck them down there, leave them for a couple of days and pull them out. Tescos do value nappies for £1.40 for 20.

I second that. Nappies are great for any sort of spill.