Looking to buy canalside land

RichM

Featured Posts

No. You would require planning consent for residential use, but not for moorings per se. The arguments for why canalside moorings have always been an inextricable part of use of the canals - and so not constituting a change of use [even if the moorings were rented out to the users] - were competently set out in the Ladies Bridge Planning Appeal by BW's Nigel Johnson. They were accepted by the Inspectorate and the appeal allowed against the Council.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/107044/response/266530/attach/3/Evidence%20of%20Mr%20Nigel%20Johnson.PDF.pdf

Whilst Nigel is right about the change of use issue, if you were offering a few moorings to rent, you still need planning permission if you undertake any development on the site.

The T&CPA defines development as "The carrying out of building, engineering, mining or other operations in, on, over or under land." This means that service bollards, laying surfaces, installing piling, installing moorings rings etc could all require planning permission. Always best to have a chat with your local planning department first.

There was a small plot of land alongside the canal for sale in Cropredy recently.

Aye, I know it, and I know the price too = over £200,000, and that's before you build the house on it. That's probably why it is still for sale after nearly a year.

Aye, I know it, and I know the price too = over £200,000, and that's before you build the house on it. That's probably why it is still for sale after nearly a year.

Strikes me as an extremely reasonable price.

A four bed detached right there in the village centre with Maureen rights has got to be worth at least £650k, and I doubt build costs would be more than about £250k, if that.

Strikes me as an extremely reasonable price.

A four bed detached right there in the village centre with Maureen rights has got to be worth at least £650k, and I doubt build costs would be more than about £250k, if that.

Especially when you look at house prices like this one....

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-56841302.html

Interestingly the price has just gone up today to £225k, possibly because of my post!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-52574503.html

I note the PP is for only a three bed house though. I still reckon 4 could be shoehorned in!

They might slide the bungalow up to £50M too?

Interestingly the price has just gone up today to £225k, possibly because of my post!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-52574503.html

I note the PP is for only a three bed house though. I still reckon 4 could be shoehorned in!

It was £225,000 when we had a look last year. Local rumour was that someone had bid higher than that, which tells you a lot about local rumours.

The advert is ambiguous - it does not immediately make clear that this price is for the land only. Obviously that's a ludicrous amount, which is why it's been for sale for so long with no takers. The attractive view of the back of a car warehouse across the cut may not be helping, either.

But there is hope - as Cropredy is a "Sort after village". I know, because the estate agent's brochure told me so.

It was £225,000 when we had a look last year. Local rumour was that someone had bid higher than that, which tells you a lot about local rumours.

The advert is ambiguous - it does not immediately make clear that this price is for the land only. Obviously that's a ludicrous amount, which is why it's been for sale for so long with no takers. The attractive view of the back of a car warehouse across the cut may not be helping, either.

But there is hope - as Cropredy is a "Sort after village". I know, because the estate agent's brochure told me so.

That's a cracker, innit!

Found recently the Brewood is pronounced Brood.

It comes as a surprise to our transatlantic cousins that a certain Midlands city is pronounced "Lester"! As for "Loughborough", forget it.