Trojan T-105 battery charging tips

tommyleyland

Featured Posts

And a belief in sprites, fairies and God, plus a bit of perpetual motion.

That would be nice, lol

There are some installations that come close, but depend on technical knowledge to operate. The boat has to be self contained although help from shorelines are always welcome :)

I don't know why you all fuss about batteries so much......if you use "C" cells they last ages longer than the "AA"'s t2706.gif

t2706.gif

I don't know why you all fuss about batteries so much......if you use "C" cells they last ages longer than the "AA"'s t2706.gif

Now look here. We've been spitting feathers here for over a week, with electronic wisdom flitting around all over the place, all without a single greenie from anyone.

Then along comes John V with a complete NCO-rank joke - and hits the first one. Where's the justice in that then?

Now look here. We've been spitting feathers here for over a week, with electronic wisdom flitting around all over the place, all without a single greenie from anyone.

Then along comes John V with a complete NCO-rank joke - and hits the first one. Where's the justice in that then?

I think that's perfectly justified... in fact I think I'll give him one.

No, A Greenie.

The first greenie was from me,have great respect for the bloke

After all....... he did restore a Sloop.

CT

lol Several years after 405 and I mentioned it because Loafer's being at Man Uni reminded me. lol But hey nothing I say will satisfy you but that worries me not. I might have been impressed if you knew that batteries gas most of the time and did not try to deny it.

You know I feel sorry for you smile.png

Grow up, Graham. You sound ike a 12-year old.

If the battery had been under any seat the minivans would have to have been about a foot taller than they were, for head room, being a low squat vehicle.

It was a long tme ago, but I seem to remember it as a Countryman estate. The battery was under the back bench seat, with not a lot of clearance between it and the seat springs. What I could never work out was why the indicator bulbs blew as well ...

Yes, well, Mrs Thatcher did order an Austin Maestro to be brought to No10 for her to examine, I don't think she bought one though, Dennis didn't get a look in.

They did have a little opening roof vent, zoomably to let any smells and battery fumes escape.

Yes, only the vans, not the Countryman estates, for some reason.

So I've done a full day charge and got the amps on the charger down to 2.2a, I've just set off equalisation charging. The charger has started at 15.8v 5.2a.

How long should I leave this going for? Will my lights blow if I turn them on now?

Depends on what bulbs you have.

Did you check the electrolyte levels in every cell before starting equalisation?

I dunno how long for, but my guess to kick off would be one hour of equalisation. The batttery charger may well already know how long though and turn off automatically. Read the manual to see.

I can actually hear the batteries bubbling, is that a good sign??

Sort of. Any cells that aren't bubbling will have been undercharged and so benefiting from the equalisation.

If ALL the cells are bubbling equally I suspect equalisation is not actually required. But I don't actually know. I expect that comment will kick off some debate!

I'm just using fairy lights hardwired in. Anyone know if the bubbling noise is normal?

I don't have a hydrometer but it's been on charge for 3-4 hours on 100% and was at 2.2a for a while.

You will probably be supplying excessive voltage to the lights.

I did check before charging.

A few hours you say? Am I sill checking on the amps on the charger or is that not important this time?

It's a 3.3a at the moment.

The amps probably won't change much. Equalisation can run for anything from 30mins to many hours, you can't really tell when to stop except by using a hydrometer / refractometer. You stop equalising when the specific gravity stops rising.

However I suggest a couple of hours and see what impact that's had on the capacity.

Oh and yes bubbling during equalisation is totally normal. Also known as gassing.