Pram covers - who's got one?

Featured Posts

We have a stern cover . Still don't like the look of them on a boat but wouldn't be without one . Never cruise with it up but always put it back up when we Moor for the day . Ours is now 11 years old , cost £2000 from Wilsons, a bit of wear and tear but still waterproof, and looks good , couple of tear repairs and have replaced various poppers and strings over the years but nowhere near at the end of its life.Bunny

I hate pram hoods for more space I simply bought a whole boat instead of a shortass one. As for cost A chap on our mooring spot just had one fitted on the back of his cruiser stern. The whole extensive frame and cover was 1700 squid and a damn good job it is. Just thought Id mention it. I havnt read this thread so I have no idea if that is a good or bad price.

Tim

I hate pram hoods for more space I simply bought a whole boat instead of a shortass one. As for cost A chap on our mooring spot just had one fitted on the back of his cruiser stern. The whole extensive frame and cover was 1700 squid and a damn good job it is. Just thought Id mention it. I havnt read this thread so I have no idea if that is a good or bad price.

Tim

(snigger)

• 4 weeks later...

Quick totting up with guessed prices:

Bit of Aluminium £50

Bit of high quality canvas £150

Bit of thick polythene for windows: £20

Fasteners, cords etc. £20

2 visits, allow a day in total, plus a day of stitching £500

Bit of profit for the firm £300

Around a thousand pounds. How the hell do they get to 3?

Bit of Aluminium £50

Better to use stainless £100

Bit of high quality canvas £500

Bit of thick polythene for windows: including double side sealing tape £100

Fasteners, cords etc. The two deck hinges alone would be £20, never mind the end caps, bar clamps, 40 odd turnbuttons, washers and clinch studs, bungee cords, ball ties, zips, tie ups.Possibly £250 plus

An hour to measure, half a day to take a template and bend bars, another day to draw out the plans of the templates, 2 days to stitch

Another half day to fit, attach fasteners. Most of the time its over an hour away also.

Diesel , on site insurance, wages....over costs.

It all adds up

I used to make covers for a company. They are never rushed and we never left a job with a crease or saggy area. Always as tight as a drum. Fully functional with pockets, windows, roll ups exactly where the customer needed them.

In saying that, I now am here to help the DIY enthusiast as more and more are willing to try it themselves. Can be very rewarding.

Once upon a time I'd have made the cover myself but never the frame. I have neither the tools nor the skills for that

It's not exactly a speedy process but I think that's less to do with time taken to build it than it is organisation. I waited 3 weeks from sending them an email confirming I was placing the order early December before chasing them for a reply. They somehow missed it, they said. They then said someone will be down to measure up when they're next in the area. No approximate date just that. End of January they came in the end. Now I'm wondering whether the second of the three trips to my boat will happen before or after Easter. It'd be nice if I could plan my life around at least a rough timescale but it seems I'm not seen a a valued order just something tacked on if they happen to be down this way for something more lucrative maybe

Only in boating trades do you get this lackadaisical approach to business. It's like they don't really want your money :lol::rolleyes:

Edited by BlueStringPudding

Bit of Aluminium £50

Better to use stainless £100

Bit of high quality canvas £500

Bit of thick polythene for windows: including double side sealing tape £100

Fasteners, cords etc. The two deck hinges alone would be £20, never mind the end caps, bar clamps, 40 odd turnbuttons, washers and clinch studs, bungee cords, ball ties, zips, tie ups.Possibly £250 plus

An hour to measure, half a day to take a template and bend bars, another day to draw out the plans of the templates, 2 days to stitch

Another half day to fit, attach fasteners. Most of the time its over an hour away also.

Diesel , on site insurance, wages....over costs.

It all adds up

I used to make covers for a company. They are never rushed and we never left a job with a crease or saggy area. Always as tight as a drum. Fully functional with pockets, windows, roll ups exactly where the customer needed them.

In saying that, I now am here to help the DIY enthusiast as more and more are willing to try it themselves. Can be very rewarding.

You have tools/machinery/vehicles to pay for too.

We have a cruiser stern Canvas Pram canopy on ours for 5 years and its the best thing we have ever done with our boat. We live on our boat with our baby girl. The space at the back is big enough for us to push the pram straight on which is excellent in the rain. Hang our jackets up. We have an anchor to the boat to lock the pram up when were are out. The sides come off so you can sit on the back when its sunny. We have plastic windows and covers that you can roll up which is great when we are out with the little one wants to sit on the back with us. It is also great for keeping her in as well as we have steel round the back and then two bumpers on the side. The only down side is the up keep of keeping it clean and having to put it up and down when we are on the move (especially if its rainy or windy) . We soon got used to doing it quite quickly though. I would really recommend!

That is very smart looking, well fitted hood

Crucially I think is that it has three 'hoops'.

Ours over a semi trad stern like that boat only had two and this allowed the centre section to sag and collect the rain, a lot of rain in heavy weather.

The centre hoop on that one prevents that happening.

I don't know who made and fit the pram hood to The Dog House but if I did I wouldn't be able to recommend them.

• 3 months later...

I finally have my pramhood! And I'm really pleased with it

It's taken a long time admittedly, at 6 months duration (although I added one month to the completion date after the pramhood job caught up with my repaint job which had been booked well in advance).

Because I want to use the space as a greenhouse amongst other things, the cover has more windows and larger windows than a standard one. This is by Kinver and cost £2100.

20160518_142448_zpsp9ujykz3.jpg

20160518_142417_zpsi5gje6b9.jpg

20160518_142621_zps3xnnxhoo.jpg

20160518_142658_zps3rsygdy8.jpg

Me veggies. Last year I grew courgettes, chard, sprouting broc, runner beans, salad leaves, stir fry veggies, carrots, radishes and herbs as well as strawberries and tomatoes in pots and buckets on the roof and bow. I want to up my production! Bit late starting this year though as my greenhouse has only just been built. But I've got some seedlings sprouting in there now.

The Pram Cover looks really very smart and glad it was worth the wait! I am definitely going for a Kinver so it's a relief to know that it has turned out well despite the long time in getting it!