Pram covers - who's got one?

Featured Posts

£3,000 for a couple of pieces of aluminium and some canvas? really? Staggering.

There is a fair amount of work and skill that goes into making them, that is one component you didn't mention.

I've seen home made ones made as you describe and they look crap.

This is our pram cover by DB covers very pleased with itimage_zps9muzh033.jpeg

Looks well.

Quick totting up with guessed prices:

Bit of Aluminium £50

Bit of high quality canvas £150

Bit of thick polythene for windows: £20

Fasteners, cords etc. £20

2 visits, allow a day in total, plus a day of stitching £500

Bit of profit for the firm £300

Around a thousand pounds. How the hell do they get to 3?

Bit of Aluminium £50

If you think it's so easy why don't you do it?

It might pay for your new batteries.

Bit of Aluminium £50

Bit of aluminium 2nd hand £70

Bit of high quality canvas £20pm

Fasteners,zips, cords etc. £300

This is my cost as a non professional canopy maker for my own pram hood.

If you think it's so easy why don't you do it?

It might pay for your new batteries.

No need to be nasty. Anyway I plumped for just one battery; 70 quid.

Anyone prepared to pay 3000 pounds for the equivalent of a small tent, albeit thicker material, good luck to you.

I thought they where over priced as well when I was looking round for a pram cover and cratch cover and some where I was quoted £5000 of one company , got the two for a lot less than half the price from DB covers, although I was not a fan of pram covers I would not be without one now great for drying the dogs in and hanging your wet gear in

Edited by luggsy

No need to be nasty. Anyway I plumped for just one battery; 70 quid.

Anyone prepared to pay 3000 pounds for the equivalent of a small tent, albeit thicker material, good luck to you.

Nasty?

I'm merely stating a fact. If you think you are clever enough to source the materials, and the machines and have the skill to make one to that std. of finish then go for it.

Otherwise your comments aren't really worth a lot and smack of petty jealousy because you couldn't afford one made like that.

Bit of Aluminium £50

How are you going to sew it together ?

Nasty?

I'm merely stating a fact. If you think you are clever enough to source the materials, and the machines and have the skill to make one to that std. of finish then go for it.

Otherwise your comments aren't really worth a lot and smack of petty jealousy because you couldn't afford one made like that.

Well no not really. I do have a cruiser deck but wouldn't find much use for a cover, even if it was for the price of a tarpaulin.

How are you going to sew it together ?

I'm not. it was allowed for in the price if you check, although they were admittedly just estimates, quite possibly inacurate.

Well no not really. I do have a cruiser deck but wouldn't find much use for a cover, even if it was for the price of a tarpaulin.

That may well be the case but it still doesn't detract from the fact you don't have the skill, or the equipment to make one to a good standard, otherwise you'd be doing it if you think it's so obviously 'easy money'.

That may well be the case but it still doesn't detract from the fact you don't have the skill, or the equipment to make one to a good standard, otherwise you'd be doing it if you think it's so obviously 'easy money'.

I don't recall talking about easy money, I did suggest that £3,000.00 is a lot of money to pay for a made to measure tent.

I'm not sure why you assume that I'm particularly looking for a lucrative business opportunity. You're quite wrong actually, I'm quite happy living off my investments, and living a simple life.

I don't recall talking about easy money, I did suggest that £3,000.00 is a lot of money to pay for a made to measure tent.

I'm not sure why you assume that I'm particularly looking for a lucrative business opportunity. You're quite wrong actually, I'm quite happy living off my investments, and living a simple life.

You didn't have to actually use the term 'easy money' when it was obvious it was implicit in your posts what your thinking was, something which I'm sure you understood was the point being made here.

As for the second bit, I would simply say, 'just as well' really.

When we had ours done, I thought a lot of money. But watching what actually goes into the measuring, sewing, fitting,adjusting it makes a little more sense.

Looking around I can see techniques that could only have been gained by years of experience. Many hours of manufacture and installation.

Ever employed a plumber, carpenter, engineer and such like. You are paying for expertise, equipement and availability of bits and bobs. Zips are not easy to sew in.

Just my twopennarth.

• Greenie 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

sorry for the delay, I was late getting my camera back.

Here are my photos,

DSCI0056.jpg

The skirt is hitched up, when moored it hangs over the side. This stops the rain running over the deck, but is vulnerable in locks. The doors are also off.

DSCI0054.jpg

DSCI0055.jpg

Rear hoops from inside.

DSCI0053.jpg

Front hoops, showing the roof drain we added.

The front hoops go below the level of the hatch (when closed) we use a couple of logs to hold it up otherwise it will get bent.

I will make some nice supports for it.

DSCI0045.jpg

We aren't very good at folding it up yet. I have improved over this already.

I hope this helps.

Dave

Ours, from Coverit near Manchester was £2000 for a semi-trad and cratch cover. They really make two canopies though as they make a template in patterning material first from which to make the finished one. And a cruiser stern cover is a lot more involved than a semi. I think BSP has a good deal from Kinver. I have seen several examples of their work and think they will do a very good job.

We LOVE our pram cover, for all the reasons mentioned, and would never want to be without.

Ken

Hi,

Here are my photos,

DSCI0056.jpg

The skirt is hitched up, when moored it hangs over the side. This stops the rain running over the deck, but is vulnerable in locks. The doors are also off.

DSCI0054.jpg

DSCI0055.jpg

Rear hoops from inside.

DSCI0053.jpg

The front hoops go below the level of the hatch (when closed) we use a couple of logs to hold it up otherwise it will get bent.

DSCI0045.jpg

I hope this helps.

Dave

Hi,

Here are my photos,

DSCI0056.jpg

DSCI0054.jpg

DSCI0055.jpg

Rear hoops from inside.

DSCI0053.jpg

DSCI0045.jpg

I hope this helps.

Dave

Thanks Dave. It really helps to see one on a fellow Black Prince

I would secretly LOVE a pram hood, deep within my inner self. I KNOW how much more useable space I'd have in the winter. Not to mention the rain protection in the summer, whilst motoring, an' that.

Best wishes for your cover, BSP.

I would secretly LOVE a pram hood, deep within my inner self. I KNOW how much more useable space I'd have in the winter. Not to mention the rain protection in the summer, whilst motoring, an' that.

Best wishes for your cover, BSP.

when i took my boat for its last journey with me, it was the in january of the big freeze in 2009/10 i think, as we went down the trent at 4 in the morning we were grateful for that cover and the hot central heating that kept us warm. coming back up the trent on an open cruiser stern i could only dream of the day when this my current boat had a wheelhouse clapping.gif