Don't slow down use spring lines, it's official

Jim Riley

Featured Posts

A saying I have heard many times is. Canals are not about speed ,If you want to go fast get a Motorhome or caravan.

Here's another saying:-

Learn to tie your boat up properly ;)

Its not hard or time consuming, doesn't cost anything extra, and it could save your blood pressure rising and may increase yours and others enjoyment of the water :cheers:

We have met 5 in two and a half years and all have been very friendly. But I do wonder what would happen if some of the more vocal members on here were to meet up . Also there are several on here with boats that don't state a boat name for what ever reason. How about we all wear a badge that says cwdf member ...lol.

Do you go to banters or do the BCN Challenge?

I wasn't very clear - the two bow ropes go one forward and one aft. About 90 degrees apart at the bow horn. Long straights don't make any difference to us, the two bow lines are too short to stretch.

This is was what I do as well. Two mooring lines forward, running about 45 deg from the mooring stag, and about 90 deg from each other, whilst having a single mooring line astern running 45 Deg from the offshore dolly. Do occasionally have to alter the mooring pattern depending on the bank, if there are mooring rings etc, but try and avoid running springs from aft to avoid having either the Wife, dog or self (occasionally all three) go swimming un planned!

As a slight Aside, Nick Roberts (the author the OP referred too and was quoted later on in the thread) used to be my boss when I was a sprog sailor!

No matter how well a boat is tied/sprung, if a boat passes at any great speed, it will move.

It has to move as the water is taken (displacement) from underneath the hull.

Pass slowly and the movement is gentle. However pass at a fair lick, and the movement can be quite violent.

The only way to ensure no movement when moored is to carry a mobile crane and haul the boat out at every mooring.(Get to work Bizzard).

Rob....

Isn't it shame that so few boaters are on this forum? If everyone was, then there would be no speeding, everyone would tie up properly and they'd all know how to sort their electrics.

I have yet to meet a THIRD boater who is an active member on here, in 6 years of CC! (I've met 2)

smiley_offtopic.gif What happened to the window stickers ? new design ?

Isn't it shame that so few boaters are on this forum? If everyone was, then there would be no speeding, everyone would tie up properly and they'd all know how to sort their electrics.

I have yet to meet a THIRD boater who is an active member on here, in 6 years of CC! (I've met 2)

Well I've met hundreds.

You've clearly never been to a banter or a canal festival like Braunston then!

No matter how well a boat is tied/sprung, if a boat passes at any great speed, it will move.

Pass slowly and the movement is gentle. However pass at a fair lick, and the movement can be quite violent.

The only way to ensure no movement when moored is to carry a mobile crane and haul the boat out at every mooring.(Get to work Bizzard).

Rob....

Totally agree with you. Strange how some people don't understand the facts you have stated.

Rob....

I would think jacking legs - like those that dredgers have, I think called spud legs - would be easier to design and operate....

They would also give you a good view of the surrounding area when you are moored up.

My mooring lines are long because of the position of the mooring rings and my ropes stretch a lot, but I hardly notice passing boats which I ascribe to the use of big wheels. These are necessary anyway on this part of the shroppie. Wheels are just wonderful!

You are obviously technically correct, and in a narrow shallow canal where the moorred boat takes up a significant amount of the channel the effect is more pronounced, ditto if the water is shallow enough that one side of the boat is aground and the other not.

However all that said what is equally true is that on most of the UK canals and if moored competently, most boats can pass most other boats and a reasonable speed (say 2mph or even 3mph) with the resulting movement if the moored boat being perfectly acceptable, no sudden jolts, now banging around, just gentle movement keep effortly in check.

That is my dream.

Along with limiting long-term linear moorings.

Daniel

There has never been an official requirement, legislation, byelaw etc to slow down past moored boats anyway.

You are most probably correct in what you say . But take a couple of minutes and look at The canal and river trusts Boaters handbook dvd which is on line . Fast forward to 23 minutes and 43 seconds and you come to Good boating behaviour ....Makes sense to me what they say.

You are most probably correct in what you say . But take a couple of minutes and look at The canal and river trusts Boaters handbook dvd which is on line . Fast forward to 23 minutes and 43 seconds and you come to Good boating behaviour ....Makes sense to me what they say.

Yes I'm not doubting its not good etiquette. But if you want to get all legalese and start defining "official" or not......

I'm sure that there are certain combinations which would result in a lot of hair-pulling and scratching.

I'm one of those who prefers to remain anonymous, since I don't know who you all are. My nan told me never to trust strange men and never to accept sweeties from them!

I DID notice a CWDF sticker on two boats I have passed, but no-one was on board them at the time.

How do you stand with DONUTS?

clapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gif

Phil

Yes I'm not doubting its not good etiquette. But if you want to get all legalese and start defining "official" or not......

So do you agree or not that it's bad behaviour or poor etiquette to pass moored boats at more than tick over speed .

So do you agree or not that it's bad behaviour or poor etiquette to pass moored boats at more than tick over speed .

See above (previous 4 pages). Not all situations are the same. Not all canals or inland waterways are the same. Not all boats do the same speed at tickover. Each situation needs evaluating on its own merits. For example on a narrow/shallow canal, in a cutting area (ie the ground is likely soft/saturated), in winter time, passing a boat moored on pins, with a boat whose tickover speed isn't excessively fast or slow, then yes. Similarly if a boat(er) is in the process of mooring up then tickover is the right speed. On a wide & deep river going upstream, passing a boat moored securely with no occupants, tickover would be daft. And there's many other situations in between.

See above (previous 4 pages). Not all situations are the same. Not all canals or inland waterways are the same. Not all boats do the same speed at tickover. Each situation needs evaluating on its own merits. For example on a narrow/shallow canal, in a cutting area (ie the ground is likely soft/saturated), in winter time, passing a boat moored on pins, with a boat whose tickover speed isn't excessively fast or slow, then yes. Similarly if a boat(er) is in the process of mooring up then tickover is the right speed. On a wide & deep river going upstream, passing a boat moored securely with no occupants, tickover would be daft. And there's many other situations in between.

How would you know that there were no occupants on a boat and how would you know that it was moored securely when you are on your boat cruising past ..Then going on what you have said above which I do agree with , wouldn't it make sense to have one rule to cover all those situations Edited by Tisinca