Opinions on this boat please

Toby knight

Featured Posts

But has a stove with a back boiler on, which being central heating will do your hot water.

Nice boat though, very nice.

Wouldn't need hot water anyway, you be glowing from the pleasure of owning her.

Col

Hello all, would you be kind enough to have a quick look at this boat and let me know your opinions please, many thanks for your help very much appreciated

http://www.whiltonmarina.co.uk/used-narrowboats/details/3322.aspx

I really like that boat. Although its an owner fit out, from the photos it looks like its been done to an good std. The problem with an owner fit out is that whist the wood work may look OK what you don't know is how well done the fitting of things like the electrical and plumbing systems have been done, they would need to be checked by somebody who knows what to look for.

It has nice lines and the recessed cabin panels look nice and them and the side hatches would cost more when new and will now have been absorbed into the price. Budget some more for additional solar panels and possibly a better inverter.

The stove looks on the small side but that could just be the images. The portholes look like exactly the same as the ones we had on our boat, have a look at how well they actually seal, the rubbers tend to come adrift meaning keeping the drafts out in winter becomes a challenge. Not a deal breaker and easily fixed but something to note.

It's an Isuzu engine which are well regarded but the panels are poor, check the engine hours meter is actually recording the running hours and that the rev. counter is working.

No matter what the brochure says about it already having a hull survey get your own.

Overall though it's a nice boat I think, I don't know the hull builder, somebody on the forum may do though.

Edited by MJG

If you're buying from Whilton, as we did in October this year (and we thought they were great), have a look here (and it's

worth reading the whole topic):

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=71979&page=4

Again, as we did, I'd ask them to lift the boat out for you so you can look at it before you pay them a deposit.

It costs £195 for cranage, but it is well worthwhile in my opinion.

If you're pretty confident about it beforehand, have your surveyor there at the time to save having it lifted out again

should you decide to buy it.

It looks decent but speaking personally, the follow would be downside for me:

1. Dark wood and portholes makes it seem small and claustrophobic.

2. Walk-through bathroom, not a fan.

3. Bedroom at the stern, not a fan.

4. 3/4 size double, too small for me.

5. Stove at far end of boat, makes bedroom cold.

6. 2 Berth only, no guest accommodation

7. Porta-potti, at this price I'd expect a plumbed in cassette toilet.

8. Where's the storage space?

Plusses would be that it doesn't seem to have much wear and tear, the kitchen is big and has a full size cooker and sink with separate drainer (luxury). I would class this boat as a 'safe bet'.

Edited by Dave_P

But has a stove with a back boiler on, which being central heating will do your hot water.

Assuming the back boiler system runs though the calorifier? Many don't, especially if thermosyphoned without a pump.

Anyway, who wants to run a stove in summer to get hot water?

Edited by blackrose

Are you buying as a live aboard or leisure use?

For example, as a live aboard the engine will need to be run for hot water - not ideal.

Unless the boat has a gas water heater or is on shore power with an immersion heater,isn't that the same for most boats?

This boat could have an immersion heater fitted (assuming it has shore power capability).

The pipes in the saloon put me right off.

Yes, it doesn't look like much effort has been made to route cables and pipes so that they're not visible.

Unless the boat has a gas water heater or is on shore power with an immersion heater,isn't that the same for most boats?

This boat could have an immersion heater fitted (assuming it has shore power capability).

Yes, it doesn't look like much effort has been made to route cables and pipes so that they're not visible.

Just to add that the immersion, if fitted, could be run from a generator, like ours is and automatically controlled so that it cannot be ON if only battery power available.

Yes the lack of effort in the pipe run which is on show makes me wonder about the rest of the installation and what cannot be seen.

I am also not a fan of Rockwool and the other insulation mentioned but that is possibly just me.

Hello all, would you be kind enough to have a quick look at this boat and let me know your opinions please, many thanks for your help very much appreciated

http://www.whiltonmarina.co.uk/used-narrowboats/details/3322.aspx

Nobody has mentioned that it looks to have some water staining to the lining, particularly in the bedroom below portholes and elsewhere. Worth looking at close up as it might indicate leaks around portholes. The dark stripe towards the head end of the bed would make me wonder if there is an issue with the insulation at that point causing condensation. Of course it might be historical issues that have now been fixed.

Just to add that the immersion, if fitted, could be run from a generator, like ours is and automatically controlled so that it cannot be ON if only battery power available.

Yes it could be run from a generator, I sometimes do that too if I'm running the charger from the generator, but whatever mains supply you're using you still need shore power capability in terms of an inlet socket and a ring mains. The boat has a small inverter but it's not clear whether it has a proper mains system installed as it just says 12v on the specs.

I am also not a fan of Rockwool and the other insulation mentioned but that is possibly just me.

Kingspan is fine if it's properly installed, but that's the key point.

Mikuni? Ebersplutter?

Those look like 28mm copper pipes for a gravity circulation feeding the radiator opposite the bed at the back of the boat. With gravity circulation you don't have a lot of choice of where to put the pipes. And boxing them in would simply take room out of the cabin.

Mikuni? Ebersplutter?

I was just going by the brokers specs which doesn't mention a diesel heater.

Those look like 28mm copper pipes for a gravity circulation feeding the radiator opposite the bed at the back of the boat. With gravity circulation you don't have a lot of choice of where to put the pipes. And boxing them in would simply take room out of the cabin.

I managed to route my 28mm dia copper pipes from my stove for a thermocycling system so that they're not an eyesore. You do have some choice if you put some thought into the design.

I was just going by the brokers specs which doesn't mention a diesel heater.

Neither does it mention a calorifier, or that the backboiler was connected to a hot water tank. Which prompted my comment that only having hot water from the engine 'was not ideal'. I'd hoped that this would prompt the OP to ask a few questions at the brokerage, and maybe consider what he needs in a boat. He still hasn't clarified whether its for residential use or leisure - or even if it will be moored with shore power etc etc. All these questions have a bearing on the opinions the OP has requested.

It's the sort of boat I'm looking for but not at that price!

The interior needs a kicking to make it a suitable boat to live on comfortably and, as others pointed out, there are signs of leaks in the top and Rockwool and kingspank as insulation would not be my prefered mix.

Good looking boat though and I would love to paint and sign write the thing.

What do people have against rockwool? It's a pain to fit but once in it is probably the best insulation to use. Good insulating properties and, most importantly, impervious to heat so unaffected by small welding jobs which can lead to cold spots with other forms of insulation.

Spray foam has an insulation r value of 3.6 - 3.7 where as rock wool bats are 3 - 3.85 and lose rock wool is 2.5 - 3.7 so probably a lot depends on how its installed. I have seen sprayfoam where its about 10mm thick against Rock wool at 50mm or Spray Foam 50mm thick and Rock wool with gaps.

Nobody has mentioned that it looks to have some water staining to the lining, particularly in the bedroom below portholes and elsewhere. Worth looking at close up as it might indicate leaks around portholes. The dark stripe towards the head end of the bed would make me wonder if there is an issue with the insulation at that point causing condensation. Of course it might be historical issues that have now been fixed.

^^^^^^

This.

There clearly is, (or at least has been), a problem with leaks, poor insulation, or both.

Also.......

A "Ring" inverter is about as cheap and basic a modified sine wave inverter as you can get. Probably not much over £100, versus oothers that cost far more. It may well do the job, but like some other things, (e.g. Porta Potty versus built in loo), points to some things being done on the cheap.

Also I do wonder why someone has felt the need to do a full hull survey on a boat only 9 years old, unless it was part of a recent purchase. If it was, I wonder why it is being sold again so soon afterwards?

I got disagreed with on this point the other day, but I believe that with the stove at the "uphill" end of the boat you may struggle to get a system like this to thermo-syphon anyway.

A further small point is that it reproduces the error our last boat had. If the stove is at the front, and put on the right hand side, then it is far more vulnerable that if on the left when traversing double tunnels, or passing boats where vegetation may be encroaching. On the left it is away from such obstructions, on the right it is more at risk.