clothes drying

paulstoke1975

Featured Posts

Now here's a little tip for you all. When times were a bit tighter than they are now we also found the expense of a laundrette quite hurtful on the pocket, so I tried an old trick that my dad told me.

Step 1 flatten out a piece of plasticine

Step 2 in print the coin of your choice as many times as you like

Step 3 fill to level with water and place in fridge then leave till frozen

Step 4 take your new currency to the laundrette in a cool bag and insert into machine. Worked 98% of the time.

Darren

Or you could gemmy open the coin box, and simply recycle the coins in there too, I suppose. If you don't do more damage to the machine than the melt water does and you resist the temptation to pocket the coins you don't reuse, you're probably not really being very naughty at all. ;)

Your dad taught you that? Who was he, Norman Stanley Fletcher? :)

Not my dad god no. His mate told him that he used to put A frozen coin, every third one into the electric meter, when the man came to collect the money he could never understand why it had rusty dust at the bottom. Apparently he done it for years and because there was no damage he got away with it.

Darren

I find it's often cheaper or the same price for a service wash. If you're having them wash things that take ages to dry, you can often end up on top.

Spending a tenner once every 2-3 weeks is much more useful to me than having the faff and expense of installing a washing machine and having to supply it with power and water.

Plus there's a pub next door to my nearest laundrette- win!

You ought to try the launderette at Fenny Compton, it is in the pub!!!

I refuse to pay for something that should be freely available on the internet, no matter how worthy the cause!

Why?

Have you never bought a Canal book/map so you know where the locks/water points/CSF are?

Decades of research and collation has gone into creating that list, it has been in existance and constantly updated for about 30 years, someone has to manage it, you begrudge a small contribution to its costs?

Tell you what why don't you create your own list and make it freely available on the InterWeb?

Edited by Loddon

Why? Decades of research and collation has gone into creating that list, it has been in existance and constantly updated for about 30 years, someone has to manage it, you begrudge a small contribution to its costs?

Tell you what why don't you create your own list and make it freely available on the InterWeb?

Decades of research! biggrin.png

We just need laundrette owners to get int the 21st Century and get themselves organised on the www. It will come.

An existing half-solution merely delays the process somewhat.

Decades of research! :D

We just need laundrette owners to get int the 21st Century and get themselves organised on the www. It will come.

An existing half-solution merely delays the process somewhat.

In London there is laundrapp. An app for your phone, service wash delivery and collection, even to boats.

Twenty years living cc on the water. First washer bought 2 years ago. Mini twin tub - very 'hands on' but I love it. Spinner is amazingly efficient. Use laundrettes for bedding and towels. Agree with 'little and often' approach. Drying no problem in the winter with a warm boat . I have a tall airer that can stand in shower. Also shirts etc on coathangers can be hung under back cover with flap open if not raining. Finish everything off near stove overnight and there we go. We have double glazing but windows usually open otherwise boat is far too hot. Fire lit 24/7 in coldest months is essential. Have fun

Twenty years living cc on the water. First washer bought 2 years ago. Mini twin tub - very 'hands on' but I love it. Spinner is amazingly efficient. Use laundrettes for bedding and towels. Agree with 'little and often' approach. Drying no problem in the winter with a warm boat . I have a tall airer that can stand in shower. Also shirts etc on coathangers can be hung under back cover with flap open if not raining. Finish everything off near stove overnight and there we go. We have double glazing but windows usually open otherwise boat is far too hot. Fire lit 24/7 in coldest months is essential. Have fun

10 years on the water.. .clapping.gif

Personally, I would say focus on your choice of fabrics and wardrobe. 'Easy-care' materials wash and dry much quicker than natural fibres such as wool and cotton. Recently, I've been experimenting with 'microfibre' fitted sheets and towels (from Lidl and Home Bargains) which once you get used to the slightly slippery feel of the towels are really rather good, washing and drying easily and without being bulky or heavy. The sheets have a brushed surface so feel warm and comfortable and are wrinkle-free so no ironing needed. They're nothing like the 'bri-nylon' sheets of the 1970's incidentally!

For clothing, I would avoid denim jeans at all cost - heavy and soak up water like a sponge, a nightmare to dry. Also wool or even acrylic sweaters and too many pure cotton items are to me an unnecessary trouble to wash and dry. Instead, try modern outdoor clothing from suppliers such as Regatta - often massively discounted on-line - for poly-fleeces and other modern practical gear. Smart, practical and stylish. Regatta's 'action trousers' or similar are of soft but hard-wearing poly-cotton material designed to be quick drying if caught in a heavy downpour outdoors and wash and drip-dry equally well. One of my favourites and probably the best you can buy, are German Army poly-cotton shirts, smartly cut, well-made (German quality of course) and wash and dry really quickly with little or no ironing required. Sadly British Army cotton shirts simply do not compare - ask any soldier!