Sealed or open wet cell battery's?

gary955

Featured Posts

If you can easily get to your batteries to check and top up the electrolyte level then wet cells will probably last longer provided you look after them. But if (as in the case of our boat) acesss and visibility is limited then you are probably better going for sealed. Sealed batteries won't last as long as well looked after wet cell but longer than poorly maintained ones. So it comes down to how much time and effort you want to spend on your batteries.

Top Cat

Sealed batteries can lose water when fast- or over-charged. So it will depend on your charging system. However these days the calcium in battery plates does seem to reduce water loss substantially so in reality I expect sealed leisure batteries will die from loss of plate material before they lose all their electrolyte.

Edited by nicknorman

My boat has poor access to the batteries, and has been fitted with Lifeline AGM batteries from new. Eye wateringly expensive, but they still have most of their original capacity at 8 years old.

Not sure if I will replace like for like when they need renewing, because of the cost, but it looks like I get at !least 10 years out of them.

Of course the downside is that if not looked after (mind are on a Victron Combi and landline when the boat is not being used, and are rare!y discharged below 70% SoC), then they will fail just as quickly as cheap batteries.

[contentious mode ON]

Leisure, engine start, sealed, AGM batteries are designed for 'light duties'. The last two satisfy the needs of boats who occasionally go upside down...

None of the above are (well) suited to the sort of loads thet 'we' narrowboaters subject them to. That is high rates of discharge and relatively high rates of charge.

For that type of use you need fork lift truck types or the likes of Trojan / Rolls batteries.

[contentious mode OFF]

[contentious mode ON]

Leisure, engine start, sealed, AGM batteries are designed for 'light duties'. The last two satisfy the needs of boats who occasionally go upside down...

None of the above are (well) suited to the sort of loads thet 'we' narrowboaters subject them to. That is high rates of discharge and relatively high rates of charge.

For that type of use you need fork lift truck types or the likes of Trojan / Rolls batteries.

[contentious mode OFF]

Wrong. AGM batteries are better suited to deep discharges and rapid recharges than wet lead acid cells.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/absorbent_glass_mat_agm

I'm going to replace my aging battery bank with cheap 110ah leasure battery's. There's some good deals on Hankook battery's but they are sealed wet cell.

Should I get sealed or open battery's and why?

How will you use the batteries and how/when do you charge them?

If you can easily get to your batteries to check and top up the electrolyte level then wet cells will probably last longer provided you look after them. But if (as in the case of our boat) acesss and visibility is limited then you are probably better going for sealed. Sealed batteries won't last as long as well looked after wet cell but longer than poorly maintained ones. So it comes down to how much time and effort you want to spend on your batteries.

Top Cat

Exactly why I went for sealed, two years ago. So far, so good ...

Lifeline AGMs are expensive for a reason. They are excellent. We sold our yacht with 5 of them on board when they were 5 years old - they were still right up there with stated capacity.

I couldn't afford them now, but our Trojans are looking good after a year.

Lifeline AGMs are expensive for a reason. They are excellent. We sold our yacht with 5 of them on board when they were 5 years old - they were still right up there with stated capacity.

I couldn't afford them now, but our Trojans are looking good after a year.

However, Yotty types are / can be frugal with their use of 'leccy; small fridge, ditto tv, if one at all, no hairdryers, microwaves et al.

Looking on here folks want most of the amenities that you'd find in a house or flat.

So when commenting on batteries - I assume the latter is more likely in a NB environment and coupled with - most likely - small battery capacity anyway, plus undersized alternators, there's probably no hope for any type of battery.....

However, Yotty types are / can be frugal with their use of 'leccy; small fridge, ditto tv, if one at all, no hairdryers, microwaves et al.

Looking on here folks want most of the amenities that you'd find in a house or flat.

So when commenting on batteries - I assume the latter is more likely in a NB environment and coupled with - most likely - small battery capacity anyway, plus undersized alternators, there's probably no hope for any type of battery.....

Good point but not accurate in our case. We lived exactly the same way on our yacht as we now do on our narrowboat, with a 3.5A telly on all evening, a 3A fridge running day and night etc (duty cycle not included) - and no LED lights in those days. We use a bit less now than we did then, about 70Ah/day (used to be 90-odd).

We just bought a new telly from Midland Chandlers which uses an incredible 1A, plus another 0.5 or so to play a DVD with its own player! We're amazed at how it has drastically reduced our daily Ah-age.

Sorry, just rambling!

Agreed. I have had both sealed and open cell batteries, but neither type last long enough to use water. I buy whatever is cheapest and replace maybe three year intervals (with the exception of some secondhand ex-standby Yuasa sealed which were superb and lasted over 4 years, but unbelievably expensive when new.)

Much better now with cheaper solar/LED lighting/LCD TV's. etc.

Edited by Guest

Access to our batteries is pretty tight so we use sealed batteries. We are currently using Varta Professional domestics.

Our first lot lasted four years, the current set are into their third year.

Batteries are a consumable item. We budget on replacing them every four years. Our last set were not knackered but not really keeping up with our useage. They are still on the go in a friends boat although he rarely goes out of the marina so it is any ones guess how they would perform when he does unhook them from shore power.

Must say our AGMs have been very good, greatly abused in the first couple of years to the point where we considered replacement but several long absorption charges via landlines and they fully recovered. AGMs are reputed to withstand deep discharge and that has been our experience. Also been left off charge for several months without harm. Over 8 years old now and Innisfree's new owner says they are OK.

Must say our AGMs have been very good, greatly abused in the first couple of years to the point where we considered replacement but several long absorption charges via landlines and they fully recovered. AGMs are reputed to withstand deep discharge and that has been our experience. Also been left off charge for several months without harm. Over 8 years old now and Innisfree's new owner says they are OK.

That is quite impressive, might have to rethink my strategy :)

Must admit I have got standard lead acid batteries to gain a new lease of life when charged as you describe, but it was temporary.

That is quite impressive, might have to rethink my strategy :)

Must admit I have got standard lead acid batteries to gain a new lease of life when charged as you describe, but it was temporary.

Main part of the abuse was mistakenly thinking they were the older type of AGM which required 14.2v charge, after upping it to 14.4/14.6 all was well.

Main part of the abuse was mistakenly thinking they were the older type of AGM which required 14.2v charge, after upping it to 14.4/14.6 all was well.

Interesting, will keep that in mind ;)

Sealed batteries can be unsealed, it normally involves little more than peeling the sticker off of the top and then popping the cap off with a screwdriver. Numerous videos on YouTube show how to do this.

Pretty certain that one set I had fell into that category. I sort of "broke into" them without causing any further problems.

My original set of open wet lead/acid batteries lasted 10 years. I replaced them last summer with Trojans.

I am envious :)

Hoping my next set will last longer with solar panels from next year.

OK thanks for the replies. I've bought some battery's and I think I got a pretty good deal from Battery Megastore who are on my way home just off the M5

I got 3x Hankook 125ah (20hr) sealed leisure battery's for £229 inc VAT. My local boatyard who are very competitive were quoting me £234 for 3x unbranded 110ah (100hr) open battery's. Hope I made the right choice!

Edited by gary955

A lot of people report that their batteries last longer with solar charging. I hope its true for us.

Top Cat

I'm not sure how some people get so long out of their batteries!

We are only onboard three or four nights a week and our batteries are looked after by a good quality smart charger, yet four years seems to be about the best we can get from them.

I believe that batteries' lives are greatly affected by their average voltage. If they're solar supported, they'll spend all day at a decent voltage, 13 or so, if the system is balanced ok.

If they're not solar supported their voltage will be much lower all day, except for short periods of recharging.

More sulphation occurs at lower voltages.

NC, do you have 'good' batteries, or the cheapest you can find? I've always been disappointed with cheapos and very pleased with good ones. I would rather buy good ones less often, than replace cheap ones every 2 years. Lugging them to the scrappies is a real pain.

I'm not sure how some people get so long out of their batteries!

We are only onboard three or four nights a week and our batteries are looked after by a good quality smart charger, yet four years seems to be about the best we can get from them.

That's because you always have the fridge and slow cooker on without running the engine for a couple of days. icecream.gif