Sealed or open wet cell battery's?

gary955

Featured Posts

Sounds as if you looked after them, they were properly charged at the correct voltages. 84Ah approx put of 280Ah is a bit high, bit my guess is the inverter was not at full load.

Problem is people changes batteries and don't change the charging regime, no revisit usages.

Well, a multi-topic thread, perhaps the moderators could spilt them up so everyone can follow the branch of their choice !

1) Whilst wet cells are great when looked after, for many, including myself, the convenience of SLAs takes some beating, even at the cost of lifespan.

2) Knowing nothing about gas installations, I hope competence isn't judged purely on whether or not it blew up. The tightening of wirings regs ( eg Part P ) was an attempt to pre-empt such disasters, surely the idea behind "gas safe" is the same ?

3) Over the years the term "engineer" has been used and abused, the respective institutions have been trying for years to restrict the use of the title to those with chartered status ( similar to chartered accountants etc ). It doesn't guarantee anything, but is meant to be a guide and give confidence. Those without the title may not be strictly entitled to use it, but could be as good, if not better...But I guess I you had to choose an "engineer" from a list ( to carry out some work ) you'd look for anything that implies competence !

Read them a while ago. From memory the change came about with the inclusion of all accommodation that was classified as a domestic residence. Memory saying part of building regs changed and that brought boats and caravans in, which classified as domestic residence.

Gas is the most dangerous fuel on a boat. I personal have seen some horrendous gas work on boats that competent people had done.

That would suggest that they weren't competent people.

2) Knowing nothing about gas installations, I hope competence isn't judged purely on whether or not it blew up. The tightening of wirings regs ( eg Part P ) was an attempt to pre-empt such disasters, surely the idea behind "gas safe" is the same ?

No, competence isnt judged purely on whether or not it blew up, but incompetence more easily is.

As far as I can make out its pretty hard for an amateur to circumvent the requirement to have an accreditation for house wiring work. But not so for gas work. So the Part P seems stricter than the GSIUR in that respect. Perhaps not logical, but a facet of when the regs were drawn up probably. Plus I think most folk have more of a natural sense of danger with gas than they do with leccy.

Nick, I think you will find that on renting of accommodation there is now a requirement for a Gas Safe certificate of safety to be obtained by the owner. Now I think there is provision in the same regs for the same to apply on the sale of a properly. Now I am not sure whether that was brought in. Although on the sale of a property, England, there is a requirement to prove correct installation of gas appliance and solid fuel stoves etc, in addition to electrical works.

Nick, I think you will find that on renting of accommodation there is now a requirement for a Gas Safe certificate of safety to be obtained by the owner. Now I think there is provision in the same regs for the same to apply on the sale of a properly. Now I am not sure whether that was brought in. Although on the sale of a property, England, there is a requirement to prove correct installation of gas appliance and solid fuel stoves etc, in addition to electrical works.

When I sold mum's home a couple of years ago it needed a rewire and the gas stove had not been serviced for a couple of years and then she had a cash job done so no record. The questions were asked and the answers truthfully given to the best of knowledge.

Certainly, regarding renting out. Not so sure about selling. But either way, I don't see the relevance. You have to get a certificate of gas safety (for rental properties) regardless of whether any prior gas work was carried out by gas safe, or by an amateur. With regard to a landlord working on a gas installation in a rental property, I think this would be considered commercial and so prohibited by GSIUR unless gas safe registered. That is the way it should be anyway! If you are going to work on your own gas system, in the house or boat in which you live, that is one thing, but doing it on premises where someone else is paying you to live seems a bad idea.