Worse things happen at sea...

mykaskin

Featured Posts

Hi Folks,

It was recorded a few years ago now, 2006 to be precise, but I'm sure there will be some that will enjoy it.

We were heading across the Humber Estuary, and had just left Hull's Old Harbour when a rope got trapped around the prop and rudder. Thankfully the river was busy, and we got rescued by a LASH tug, Shovette. It involved being towed against the 4 mph flow, as you can see, we weren't being towed slowly!

Cheers,

Mike

• Greenie 1

I must say that "Shovette" is an inspired name for a tug - though it would obviously better suit a push tug. I don't know whether Lash tugs push as well as pulling.

Nicer than Lashette, anyway

Richard

I must say that "Shovette" is an inspired name for a tug - though it would obviously better suit a push tug. I don't know whether Lash tugs push as well as pulling.

They were both built to push Lash barges on the Thames and Medway before coming to the Humber,They do tow over the stern as well, both have Voith props

They were both built to push Lash barges on the Thames and Medway before coming to the Humber,They do tow over the stern as well, both have Voith props

Actually they aren't fitted with Voiths - they have Schottel units.

Howard

Edited by howardang

Actually they aren't fitted with Voiths - they have Schottel units.

Howard

I stand corrected thanks.

1971 LASHETTE

(sisterships: LASHETTE, SHOVETTE)

157 GRT, 18 NRT, L24,29m, B8,54m, Dr2,591m, Dp2,77m

2 Schottel, 2x diesel 4tew 6cyl Caterpillar type D343TA, 741bhp-545kW total, sp 8kn

LASHETTE

1971: Built by "London & Rochester Trading Co Ltd" at Strood (GBR) (YN 109)

1971: delivered to "London & Rochester Trading Co Ltd" (Crescent Shipping) at Rochester, Kent (GBR)

(GBR flag, regd Rochester, ON 341921, c/s 2EKM)

198x: To "Crescent Wharves Ltd" at Rochester (GBR)

1998: To "John Dean Tugs & Marine Ltd" at Hull (GBR)

What are they doing at 1.25?

Richard

MORE: Got it, they are anchored stern on to the river flow

Motoring (with the flow) but so is the ship in the background. The flat part is actually the front of the vessel, though they are designed to run both ways, with two sets of nav lights depending on direction.

Here is a photo of them doing actual LASH work:

lash-barges-and-tug-entering-the-king-ge

Nice - impressed that the tug managed to get you up to an altitude of 161 feet ASL on that bit of string.

GPS altitude is notoriously bad due to the way the visible satellites are placed.

Very nice - I like your telescopic chimney (at 11:30 or so).

Yeah, that was a funny of the Youtube image stabilisation! Amongst a few other slightly odd bits. Im not impressed.

Great video! I love that you managed to catch so much of the variety of local traffic as well as the main action, even including Comrade under sail.

It might be worth mentioning that the speed boat in the video ran parascending trips for a few years based at Hull Marina close by although I'm not certain that they are still running.

I was at Brough Haven a little while ago and saw a very stange vessel going up river. I eventually made out that it was Lashette and Shovette lashed to each othe stern to stern making a "Push me pull you" tug! It looked really odd from a mile away. They were on the way to Goole to colllect some lash barges for delivery downriver either to Hull or Grimsby Roads.

Howard

GPS altitude is notoriously bad due to the way the visible satellites are placed.

Pedant mode on.

It's more due to a combination of line of sight visibility to the satellites best placed to give you improved z-axis accuracy and the geoid model used to describe the Earth's shape. If the satellites were placed badly then there would be similar degrees of error in all 3 axes, rather than majoring in the Z.

Sorry to be picky.

Pedant mode on.

It's more due to a combination of line of sight visibility to the satellites best placed to give you improved z-axis accuracy and the geoid model used to describe the Earth's shape. If the satellites were placed badly then there would be similar degrees of error in all 3 axes, rather than majoring in the Z.

Sorry to be picky.

I was just surprised by the 'error', I have not come across it before.

I tend to find plenty of satellites so maybe the error is removed.

Had 15 on show the other day which allowed the plotter to choose the 'best 10'

CAM00004_zpsyyol7rhz.jpg