CRT Council nominations open

Starcoaster

Featured Posts

Thanks but most of the stoppages don't start until 2nd November through to the middle of March. That's puts a stop to us joining St Pancras Cruising Club on their trip down the Thames to the Royal Docks (did it in 2013) as one of the Camden locks is closed from Jan to March not to mention the GU at Hayes being closed at the same time.

Probably not very well worded on my part. I suppose what I'm wondering is whether the inaction on the part of the current batch is due to their own failings as representatives or their hands being tied? I seem to remember one of the surprising revelations at our Skipton meeting with CRT was that the representatives weren't there to represent boaters at all and were put in place as one of the Charity Commission requirements (very happy to be corrected here as my memory of the specifics is a bit hazy).

It just feels like a waste of time voting for someone with no power to change or influence anything.

As a live aboard continuous cruiser on a rather scruffy boat with lots of roof furniture I do get your point about Vaughan Welch, that alone may make me reconsider!

As it happens I don't have a vote as we registered Iona in Dave's name. He has delegated responsibility to me smile.png

Unfortunately I fear you may be correct, If Roger gets elected we may well find out.

Probably not very well worded on my part. I suppose what I'm wondering is whether the inaction on the part of the current batch is due to their own failings as representatives or their hands being tied? I seem to remember one of the surprising revelations at our Skipton meeting with CRT was that the representatives weren't there to represent boaters at all and were put in place as one of the Charity Commission requirements (very happy to be corrected here as my memory of the specifics is a bit hazy).

It just feels like a waste of time voting for someone with no power to change or influence anything.

As a live aboard continuous cruiser on a rather scruffy boat with lots of roof furniture I do get your point about Vaughan Welch, that alone may make me reconsider!

As it happens I don't have a vote as we registered Iona in Dave's name. He has delegated responsibility to me smile.png

When all is said and done, your pretty much on the money in my view.

CRT are throwing some propaganda at the role for fear of there being no interest. (This of course could cause them considerable discomfort).

Having said that, in my opinion there are a couple of numpty's running, that could possibly do more damage than good.

It never rains unless it pours.

I would think CRT are pretty good at controlling the council and at the first meeting will explain all about collective responsibility, working together, team playing etc. Whatever happens there should be no excuse not to let those who voted for you know what's happening, whether that's via various forums, attending meetings/shows/festivals etc. Can't see any excuse not to give out info, whether it be positive, negative or in between. I, personally, use Twitter for short updates/messages and whilst Twitter isn't everyone's cup of tea it's pretty immediate. I can manage 140 characters reasonably well - wouldn't want to stretch myself ;-)

I see Mr Welch still chairs the restoration committee https://www.waterways.org.uk/about/organisation/national_committees/restoration_committee_membersand therefore sits on their navigation committee https://www.waterways.org.uk/about/organisation/national_committees/navigation_committee_members unless he resigned these posts before putting his name forwards for the council. Wonder if it's worth asking the IWA what the score is.

Sounds like Vaughan Welch may have competition laugh.png

Come back Dave mayall and Alan Fincher.

Very sweet of you to say so!

It is something of a contrast from last time, where we had a plethora of candidates, some good, some not good, and some the IWA muscling in.

This time, the IWA have backed off, but so have candidates.

After I discount those candidates that I know to be raving, and those who are out to represent a narrow viewpoint, I worry how many will be left.

I would have loved to stand again, and despite my strongly held personal views would have sought to represent all, but as I said my circumstances don't allow it now.

press release

23 October

Candidates announced for Canal & River Trust Council elections

Candidates for roles on the Canal & River Trust’s governing Council have been announced today, ahead of voting which takes places from 13 November - 11 December.

The candidates are standing to represent a number of groups, with those elected sitting on the Council for four years starting in March 2016.

The full list of candidates is:

· Boating: 8 candidates for 4 places on the Council:

Steven John Wickes
Stella Ridgway
Ruth McCabe
Richard Phasey
Vaughan Welch
Phil Prettyman
Jim Owen
Roger Stocker

· Business Boating: 4 candidates for 2 places on the Council

Andrew Tidy
Tracy Cornish
Nigel Hamilton
Ed Helps

· Volunteers: 3 candidates for 1 place on the Council

Terry Johnson
Graham Newman
Ian McCarthy

· Employees: 4 candidates for 1 place on the Council

John Ellis
Craig O’Brien
Sarina Young
Tracey Jackson

· Friends: unfortunately none of the nominees had sufficient sponsors to stand in the election. The Appointments Committee will therefore consider co-opting a Friend onto the Council so that the growing numbers of individuals supporting the Trust have a role

Allan Leighton, Canal & River Trust chair, said: “We’ve a really strong list of people putting themselves forward for election. These roles are essential to ensuring the Trust's Council has representation from a variety of interests and perspectives. Now is the time for those eligible to vote to find out more about what the candidates offer. I’d like to thank all who have shown an interest in working with us and wish the best of luck to everyone going into the election.”

The election process is being run independently of the Trust by Electoral Reform Services (ERS) and is an online process. ERS are providing a secure dedicated website which includes the Candidates’ manifestos www.votebyinternet.com/CRTelections2015

Candidates have until 5pm on 30 October to withdraw if they wish, with the final list being confirmed on 2 November and voting opening on 13 November. ERS will email a new unique login to everyone eligible to vote (and send a login code by post to people without email). Voters will then have four weeks until Friday, 11 December to login to the website and cast their vote online. Results will be announced on Monday, 14 December.

The Council is made up of 40 nominated, co-opted or elected members as well as the Chairs of the waterway partnerships. Together they reflect the wide appeal of the waterways – from boating and angling through to walking and conservation. The Council is responsible for the appointment of Trustees, helps to shape policies and provides guidance and perspective to Trustees.

More information about the Council and the elections is at www.canalrivertrust.org.uk/councilelections2015

Ends

Sad day - there are just not enough good boating candidates for four places, in my view.

At least one or two known that are clearly bonkers failed to get the nominations - a small consolation, I suppose.

I'm feeling guilty now that I didn't feel able to go for it. I wish I had, but too late now. All I can now do is research the field, and try to support those I feel will serve boaters best, without personal agendas that disadvantage others.

I'll be amazed if Vaughan Welch doesn't get elected, despite some of the crap he spouted early on in his last term of office. Bugger!

Sad day - there are just not enough good boating candidates for four places, in my view.

That is a bit hard on the people who are prepared to put themselves forward and give up their time, I wouldn't do it.

Edited by ditchcrawler

That is a bit hard on the people who are prepared to put themselves forward and give up their time, I wouldn't do it.

Unfortunately, whilst we might say "good on them" for making the effort to do so, it doesn't actually mean that they are suitable for the role.

The trouble with a small field is that come what may, 4 are going to be elected, and some of them may actually be bad at the job.

We've just been through an interview process at work. 10 Applicants, 4 shortlisted, none appointable.

It's great that they took the trouble to apply, but in the final analysis, none was suitable, and we will have to re-advertise.

Alan, you may be right but not sure how you can come to that conclusion given that you can only judge most of the candidates from their 150 word statement. OK so a few may be 'known' and have previous form and you can look up previous postings for those who are on this forum to get a general view. I am, of course, feel privileged by Alan Leighton's comment about us being a 'strong list of people' I guess they printed it on reinforced paper.

Vote for me!!!!

Mayalld - difference is that you (the employer) is selecting, in this vote its the other way round (perhaps fortunately), but I know what you are getting at. Same for lots of other elections, the people who might be the best often don't realise it or just don't have the same support others do.

Naughty Cal - can you explain why? Given that council members are elected for 4 years there should be enough time to find out about certain 'users' who don't feel their interests are represented, whether that be via forums such as this or other avenues of communication. Of course that doesn't mean that I (or others) would agree with you but you would have the right for your views to be known. As a TU rep I've had to represent members who’s behaviour hasn't been, shall we say extemporary, but that’s what reps do. Of course its your decision...

Mayalld - difference is that you (the employer) is selecting, in this vote its the other way round (perhaps fortunately), but I know what you are getting at. Same for lots of other elections, the people who might be the best often don't realise it or just don't have the same support others do.

Naughty Cal - can you explain why? Given that council members are elected for 4 years there should be enough time to find out about certain 'users' who don't feel their interests are represented, whether that be via forums such as this or other avenues of communication. Of course that doesn't mean that I (or others) would agree with you but you would have the right for your views to be known. As a TU rep I've had to represent members who’s behaviour hasn't been, shall we say extemporary, but that’s what reps do. Of course its your decision...

There is a very heavy bias towards narrowboats and canals only in all of their statements.

Doesn't represent me, or a large swathe of boat owners on CRT waters, in the slightest.

Well I won't be voting for (2000 boats) Welch, or for the (Thatcher quoteing) union rep. Don't think I'll be voting for jim either.

Sticky.

Bandsman Jim seems to me to be a complete liability - I presume you have seen his idea that we must all pass an approved canal "driving licence"? I've yet to see anything posted by him that is not at least half bonkers.

He certainly would not be my choice, and clearly Welch would not be either, so already I have a choice of four from just a remaining six, even without researching those 6. I'm just hoping all are better choices than either of the two just listed!

To Rachel, Ange, etc, etc, the reason you should vote is that it may be possible to vote out the obviously dangerous candidates, even if you feel those remaining don't really represent you. If someone totally ineffectual gets in I would prefer that to those who have expressed downright bonkers or downright divisive views.

To be clear I have not done my research to know how good or bad any of the 6 candidates that remain might be, and I'm sure some are not at all bad. Whether there are four that I could say that about I'm rather doubtful, but I'd genuinely like to be proved wrong.

Are the 150 word statements for all candidates now back on view? Link anybody?