CRT Council nominations open

Starcoaster

Featured Posts

So are we saying Allan Richards has somewhat jumped the gun by saying there are only these 7 candidates then, As I can't see some of those who are saying they are in as part of this list......

No, I can't believe if it is on NarrowBoatWorld it could possibly be wrong, could it?

Actually I'm genuinely confused now!

Does anybody yet have a correct final list, if the one above is not it?

It seems we have to wait until the 23rd until the official list is published.

There would appear to be at least two forum members who had enough nominations, I am also listed - voting opens in November and I await the troll under the bridge

Until you posted this and I looked at your blog I didn't realise who you where. I suppose that is the problem not having proper names on here.

The final list will be published next Friday (heaven know why it should take over a week to do this) and until then you have to interrogate the published list of all nominations. I just looked again and I did get 10 people sponsoring me so should move to the vote. Private boater in London, not a cc'er though.

So are we saying Allan Richards has somewhat jumped the gun by saying there are only these 7 candidates then, As I can't see some of those who are saying they are in as part of this list......

No, I can't believe if it is on NarrowBoatWorld it could possibly be wrong, could it?

Actually I'm genuinely confused now!

Does anybody yet have a correct final list, if the one above is not it?

Not just Alan Richards, Tizard is stating the same on the NABO fb page.

As I stated earlier, I believe it's 10 or 11, going by posts on fb pages.

The post on NABO Facebook was taken from the update on the election web site the morning following the closing date . Agreed we were naive to think this would feature those that had gathered the required number of sponsors as at the closing date . Thought the extra week was just the time taken to verify the eligibility of those standing.

Of wider concern perhaps is the number of boaters who are saying they have not received an email advising them of the vote.

The post on NABO Facebook was taken from the update on the election web site the morning following the closing date . Agreed we were naive to think this would feature those that had gathered the required number of sponsors as at the closing date . Thought the extra week was just the time taken to verify the eligibility of those standing.

Of wider concern perhaps is the number of boaters who are saying they have not received an email advising them of the vote.

Perhaps time for a "NABO open letter" to CRT.

(Though I suspect NBTA will have already actioned something).

Guess we can all be negative and say given the number of people who could have stood and actually put there name forward etc. (as stated in various other webpages/forums) plus the number of people saying they didn't even know the process was happening means it's a waste of time (both standing and their role on the council). Not a very positive outlook imho. I have no illusions that the council, whoever it's made up of, will not achieve much of what people would like to see, warnings of the usual 'collective responsibility' and team playing issues that often tie the hands of corporate type 'committees' but that should not be a excuse to let people know what the issues are, whether face to face meetings or via various social media streams. If someone is good enough to vote for you I think they have a duty to inform the electorate of news/issues whether this be as a school governor, union rep, councillor or MP (not sure where CRT council rep would fit on this scale). It's pretty obvious that there is a disconnect in the voting process to date, I'll leave you to wonder why that might be, but it is what it is. Those who are elected to represent private boaters should look at how to make communications with their 'community' effective 'going forwards', how I hate that corporate speak ;-) not forgetting everyone else. I've attended quite a few CRT/IWA meetings and they work quite well, even if they are carefully stage managed and the CEO is very presentable and of course Leighton will know exactly what he is doing. Things are not going to be easy whoever is elected but there is no reason for anyone to be a puppet. Now I must make up a 'vote for me' poster for each side of the boat as we are out from 26th for a week Iver to Hemel and back in our newly painted (but no sign writing yet) boat.

Guess we can all be negative and say given the number of people who could have stood and actually put there name forward etc. (as stated in various other webpages/forums) plus the number of people saying they didn't even know the process was happening means it's a waste of time (both standing and their role on the council). Not a very positive outlook imho. I have no illusions that the council, whoever it's made up of, will not achieve much of what people would like to see, warnings of the usual 'collective responsibility' and team playing issues that often tie the hands of corporate type 'committees' but that should not be a excuse to let people know what the issues are, whether face to face meetings or via various social media streams. If someone is good enough to vote for you I think they have a duty to inform the electorate of news/issues whether this be as a school governor, union rep, councillor or MP (not sure where CRT council rep would fit on this scale). It's pretty obvious that there is a disconnect in the voting process to date, I'll leave you to wonder why that might be, but it is what it is. Those who are elected to represent private boaters should look at how to make communications with their 'community' effective 'going forwards', how I hate that corporate speak ;-) not forgetting everyone else. I've attended quite a few CRT/IWA meetings and they work quite well, even if they are carefully stage managed and the CEO is very presentable and of course Leighton will know exactly what he is doing. Things are not going to be easy whoever is elected but there is no reason for anyone to be a puppet. Now I must make up a 'vote for me' poster for each side of the boat as we are out from 26th for a week Iver to Hemel and back in our newly painted (but no sign writing yet) boat.

My article reflected the ERS website some six hours after nominations closed. Since then the ERS has been updated to show that another nominee (you!) has the ten sponsors needed to become a candidate. Another two nominees have appeared on the ERS website but not attracted sufficient sponsors.

So unless ERS changes its website again, we will probably have 8 candidates standing compared to 33 at the last election.

I suspect that many of 7,000+ that voted last time are wondering if it is worthwhile doing so this time. Certainly, they were not too prominent at the nomination stage!

Edited by Allan(nb Albert)

Perhaps I should make CRT's day by standing! Though on second thoughts if I were to stand it would have to be with an organisation that didn't insist in removing paying boaters licences and at the same time insist on spending thousands of pounds of other peoples money keeping the legal profession so well fed! Best then I think not!

My question remains unanwered. Did the last group of "representatives" actually achieve anything rather than tick a rather expensive box for CRT? If the answer is no then, no matter how well intentioned the current batch are I'm not going to waste one minute of my time voting.

My question remains unanwered. Did the last group of "representatives" actually achieve anything rather than tick a rather expensive box for CRT? If the answer is no then, no matter how well intentioned the current batch are I'm not going to waste one minute of my time voting.

I can't follow that logic at all, I'm afraid Ange.

Even if none of the last four has bothered to make any great mark in their 4 year tenure, why extrapolate that to suggest that none of the 30 or so others of us who stood could not have achieved anything?

I think the right people could achieve something but it was obvious from the outset that Caplan, Farrell, Henderson & Welch were not going to be what we hoped for.

The tragedy this time is that I'm not convinced the final list will achieve 4 good candidates without an agenda that will not be to the benefit of boaters as a whole.

One reason you should vote is that Vaughan Welch, who clearly hates scruffy live aboard boats with a vengeance is back hoping for a second term of office, and will probably get elected again because of the weakness of other candidates. Do you really want not to try and oppose somebody who has openly expressed such odious views in the past?

Unfortunately all most of the voters will have to go on is the 150 words put forwards by each candidate, some may read this type of forum (and other social media sites) and can elicit other information which they feel might be useful in choosing which ones to vote for, what you say about 1 candidate will not be known by a majority neither will they know that they are standing again nor that IWA said they wouldn’t put any candidates forwards in the private boaters category – I would assume that individual will say that they will not be representing that organisation. Not sure how to answer your “weakness of other candidates” point. I tried to put, in 150 words, something that accurately describes myself, of course it could all be untrue. There obviously is no comeback or accountability for individuals who get elected, perhaps a weakness in the voting system (certainly it would be useful for those seeking re-election to have this stated). One of the candidates who successfully moved into the election is Richard (Andrew) Phasey who, in my view, is a very strong candidate and has done much to take forwards the private boaters message. I am sure many of the other candidates that will be on the ballot paper have a lot to offer the newly formed council and I just hope that those entitled to vote read the wording carefully and caste their votes for those they think may make a difference or, at least, influence the inner workings of CRT.

Ange - I would hope that you might have some faith in those who are asking for your vote. You may be right in that I will be bu**er all if elected but I (and the others) will certainly do very little if people do not vote. Apathy has never won any battles. There is time to organise a type of Q & A thread asking the candidates for their views on certain topics – I’d be happy to take part. The key is to find out as much about those who want you to vote for them, obviously more than the 150 words that were available (perhaps I should have included a video…..)

Even if none of the last four has bothered to make any great mark in their 4 year tenure, why extrapolate that to suggest that none of the 30 or so others of us who stood could not have achieved anything?

I think the right people could achieve something but it was obvious from the outset that Caplan, Farrell, Henderson & Welch were not going to be what we hoped for.

The tragedy this time is that I'm not convinced the final list will achieve 4 good candidates without an agenda that will not be to the benefit of boaters as a whole.

One reason you should vote is that Vaughan Welch, who clearly hates scruffy live aboard boats with a vengeance is back hoping for a second term of office, and will probably get elected again because of the weakness of other candidates. Do you really want not to try and oppose somebody who has openly expressed such odious views in the past?

This according to the C&RT website is the role of the Council

"While trustees are responsible for determining policy and strategy, the council has an important role in helping to shape policy, raise and debate issues, provide guidance and perspective, and act as a sounding board for trustees. It also has the responsibility of appointing and, if necessary, dismissing trustees."

The council has no direct say in the day to day running of the waterways any more than do the Trustees. It is a talking shop with as many different opinions and agendas as members. I'm not surprised nothing was ever achieved and I do not care how strong a four man / woman boating lobby is or was, the rest of the council will want their own interests put forward just as much as a boaters lobby.

We could give them a title "The Gang of Four". Oh that's been used already with about as much effect.

It won't happen but get rid of the council and the Waterways Partnerships, elect some strong Trustees with boating connections and interests and give them the power to set the direction of C&RT and to remove the directors if they are not satisfied with the performance. Now that I would vote for.

Ken

Not sure how to answer your “weakness of other candidates” point.

It was not intended the way it has come out, I think - sorry to any good candidates that may have got their 10 supporters!

I'm sincerely hoping that the final list will be larger than the one people have come up with so far, because if the field doesn't even make it into double figures, I don't think it is likely to include 4 in total that I would necessarily feel will best represent me and other boaters.

I think I should probably defer from further comment on the qualities of those who are "in", until I see the final list, and can study who is in it.

What worries me a lot, (and this is not directed at you!), is that someone can put together a quite reasonable 150 words, but they may still be a total liability! For example, one whose name was in the original list I have met, and he praised me continually on all the stuff I write for NarrowBoatWorld, and how he agrees with me and what I have to say. When I made it very clear I am not an NBW journalist he insisted I am wrong, and that I most certainly am(!). I can only assume he thinks I'm a different Al(l)an! If he makes it into the final list I'll probably be working harder to stop him getting elected than I will be Vaughan Welch.

Sadly I actually think Vaughan Welch will get in again - I would however very very much like to be proved wrong!

(And, yes, I do wish I had run again myself now, but we talked it over and I made a decision not to, so I have to live with not knowing if I might have got in this time).

Surely it's up to the 8 (not sure if there are any more) to try and get their message out via the various social media - as its email voting I guess this is the quickest route open to them. there is an opportunity for some of the candidates to join together in advance of the vote and agree a common approach on how to update boaters via Facebook, cwdf etc . Would get my vote.

However I think Ange's question above will remain unanswered and I doubt the new representatives will have the opportunity to achieve any more in the 6 monthly meetings but maybe outside these there is a chance,

Speaking as one with the requisite of nominations and (like others) standing as a continuous cruiser, and to try to break the IWA stranglehold. I think the Council is only as good as the members on it and like a lot of big organisatiobs, it is the other things you do that is important. At least, this time there are more boaters and less IWA

There are probably about 25% of the boaters who have heard a Vaughan I bet less than 5% have heard of the rest put together.

Ah, the wonders of democracy. At least when you vote for someone from one of the main political parties there is a good chance that they will vote on party lines rather than make it up as they go along. Since nominating myself I've posted on various sites, web and social media seeking nomination, obviously this got me 10 sponsors +. Agreed that it's going to be much more difficult to get the number of votes that more established nominated people will or those that are associated with the IWA (of which I am a member so tarred with that brush?). Perhaps I need to try to post to all the Facebook sites associated with canals plus various Internet forums that might have a canal association. First up I'll devise a poster to go in the boat window and display it proudly on our weeks cruise next week (Iver to Hemel and back)

Probably not very well worded on my part. I suppose what I'm wondering is whether the inaction on the part of the current batch is due to their own failings as representatives or their hands being tied? I seem to remember one of the surprising revelations at our Skipton meeting with CRT was that the representatives weren't there to represent boaters at all and were put in place as one of the Charity Commission requirements (very happy to be corrected here as my memory of the specifics is a bit hazy).

It just feels like a waste of time voting for someone with no power to change or influence anything.

As a live aboard continuous cruiser on a rather scruffy boat with lots of roof furniture I do get your point about Vaughan Welch, that alone may make me reconsider!

As it happens I don't have a vote as we registered Iona in Dave's name. He has delegated responsibility to me :)

Ah, the wonders of democracy. At least when you vote for someone from one of the main political parties there is a good chance that they will vote on party lines rather than make it up as they go along. Since nominating myself I've posted on various sites, web and social media seeking nomination, obviously this got me 10 sponsors +. Agreed that it's going to be much more difficult to get the number of votes that more established nominated people will or those that are associated with the IWA (of which I am a member so tarred with that brush?). Perhaps I need to try to post to all the Facebook sites associated with canals plus various Internet forums that might have a canal association. First up I'll devise a poster to go in the boat window and display it proudly on our weeks cruise next week (Iver to Hemel and back)

Have you checked the stoppages?