Generator - which is the best?

damdna

Featured Posts

AH well the "while under way" bit basically rules out any of the petrol models then (BSS and all that) so you will be stuck with diesel or at a pinch gas. Some diesel generators are available in an acoustic housing.

I have never seen the need for "stand by power when under way" because a twin alternator engine automatically provides a degree of standby power, both 12V and mains via an inverter. That is as long as you carry a decent jump lead or have your boat wired specifically for this function.

Now providing a mains supply when moored up is a different matter altogether. Maybe a clue to your thinking may get you more help.

which generator is best to buy for stand by power while underway.

The underway bit is confusing, why would you want standby power whilst underway.

but to answer the above bit, one that is big enough for your needs. wink.png

More information required.

Hi y'all.

Can you provide your wisdom(s) as to which generator is best to buy for stand by power while underway. Quiet and excellent would be great features.

Cheers.

D

I`m guessing you mean whilst away from a shoreline but you need to state exactly what you do mean plus what you want the power from genny to do.

The unit we use when out and about and staying out for the day or so is a Honda "suitcase" generator. It has been reliable and easy to start our power requirements are modest so the eu10 1000watt model is fine to run the odd power tool and the 30 amp charger on the boat. it is fairly quiet, economic and a 2ltr tank will run it all day and more.

I don't know if it is the best available these days but it does OK for us.

Edited by churchward

Honda eu10, eu20, eu30 are good for petrol units.

For diesel I will only ever buy northern lights generators. 3500 hours on mine, three oil changes done in total, have run it out of water and diesel several times. Self bleeds on water and diesel.

Has sensors on everything, cuts out if it overheats, lack of oil and even has a carbon monoxide sensor.

I will confess that we are on breakdown number two now - first one the earth lead to the casing sheared, second one happened this week, the temperature sender has failed. Cost 15 quid so couldn't be bothered to argue the toss regarding the 5 year warranty.

I don't actually know how many generators I/we own. I know we have brought 3 this year.

My old man used to have an eu10, I used to have an eu30. He now has a Fischer Panda, I have a Northern Lights. Mine is quieter. Quietest generator on the market other than an Onan I think it was (according to a report done by victron in 2007). Would have had the Onan but they never returned my calls.

All that be I being said, I installed solar panels this summer. Ain't half saved me some diesel and hours on the generator.

Hi y'all.

Can you provide your wisdom(s) as to which generator is best to buy for stand by power while underway. Quiet and excellent would be great features.

Cheers.

D

. I think the big round yellow beast in the sky is probably the way forward, silent, clean, very frugal on fuel and only requires a wipe over with a cloth every few months,
  • Greenie 2

Petrol generators run on petrol. I've always felt that it isn't easy to safely store petrol on a narrowboat.....I'm genuinely interested in the solutions others have found.

The rules for storing petrol on a boat are virtually identical to the rules for storing LPG, so not difficult to understand.

Implementation is difficult though as it involves construction of a second locker with a drain, the same as a gas locker.

The only confusion is whether it is acceptable to store both petrol and LPG in the same locker, i.e. keep your petrol in the gas locker. I see no technical risk in doing this but I'd be interested to hear of any rule positively preventing it, other than the one that says gas kit only in the gas locker.

The rules for storing petrol on a boat are virtually identical to the rules for storing LPG, so not difficult to understand.

Implementation is difficult though as it involves construction of a second locker with a drain, the same as a gas locker.

The only confusion is whether it is acceptable to store both petrol and LPG in the same locker, i.e. keep your petrol in the gas locker. I see no technical risk in doing this but I'd be interested to hear of any rule positively preventing it, other than the one that says gas kit only in the gas locker.

. My boat is petrol powered, and the petrol tank and gas bottles are kept separate by a piece of ply it's really one compartment with the ply splitting it in two, have passed its bss only a few months ago so think you should be ok Edited by craftycarper

I use the gas locker to store a can of petrol for the generator. The petrol is in a proper petrol container and the locker is ventilated so I don't see a problem with it.

Firstly, thank you for all this discussion - it's brill! I can see the folly of my wording, people. 'Underway' was a poor choice. I meant when away from shore power. I'm traveling for a year on board and want a secondary power source to run my Mac or a telly at night. My lights and fridge are all 12V, so they use very little once moored for the evening. I have about 55 feet of vacant roof space, so maybe an array of solar panels could be my solution, avoiding fuel storage and noise. But how efficient are they?

A reasonable sized solar array makes sense but it won't provide enough power in winter. How big it is vs your personal power usage, will determine how much "extra" power you need through the winter. For example if the solar array is large and your power usage is low, you might only need a bit more. If this is the case, it can be met by 1) cruising 2) running the engine while stationary. If you had higher power usage, did less cruising, and a smaller solar array, then it starts to make sense to consider a generator instead of running the boat's engine for prolonged periods/regularly.

To know which is the right, or most cost efficient, in your circumstances, comes down to the details - how much power usage you do, how often and for how long you cruise, how big the solar array can/will be, how big your boat's alternator is, how big the battery bank is, etc. The devil is in the detail and there is no "one size fits all" answer.

Also consider how you make hot water and space heating - some boats can do this by running the engine, thus it makes sense to run the motor to do all three where if it was only for electrical power, might not.

Edited by Paul C

want a secondary power source to run my Mac or a telly at night.

but you cannot run the generator after 8 pm. or before 8am (unless out of earshot and not to the annoyance of any one else)

Your boat will only be able to run on batteries after 8pm.till 8am the next morning

A generator will run a charger to charge your batteries and if you wish to, run some 240v equipment but after 8pm any 240v equipment will need to run from an inverter supplied by the batteries.

Firstly, thank you for all this discussion - it's brill! I can see the folly of my wording, people. 'Underway' was a poor choice. I meant when away from shore power. I'm traveling for a year on board and want a secondary power source to run my Mac or a telly at night. My lights and fridge are all 12V, so they use very little once moored for the evening. I have about 55 feet of vacant roof space, so maybe an array of solar panels could be my solution, avoiding fuel storage and noise. But how efficient are they?

Get a TV and adapter so it runs of 12V, (I have a Samsung 14V 22" and an LG 19V 24" - bought adapters to convert 12V to 15V and 19V. 15V seems OK for the Samsung )

Charge your Mac in the day when the genny or engine is running, or get a 12V adapter - I presume Apple do them?

... want a secondary power source to run my Mac or a telly at night.

.... so maybe an array of solar panels could be my solution, avoiding fuel storage and noise.

So you don't get caught out by accident, the first part would put you outside of the guidance to not run engines after 8pm and before 8am. Aside from that, running a genny won't win you many friends amongst your fellow moorers at any time of day - they're rarely as silent as their owners think in my experience. Some folks won't agree with that (and may even be along to flame me shortly, however, I'm trying to help here!) but many will. Maybe you will too if you're tv volume isnt high enough. ;)

The second part, however, shows that you're thinking considerately and realise the noise can be an issue. It's certainly a feasible alternative, particularly if you have a reasonable battery bank, efficient kit and give the issue sufficient thought, as indeed you are.

The use and storage of petrol in enclosed boats is fraught with danger and a thing to be avoided if possible. Sometimes it's unavoidable, but it's not something I'd go for if there was an alternative.

The other issue is leaving fuel in the generator when it's not being used - that's storing petrol in a container too.

I've seen lots of people leaving generators in their engine room or cabin which is always a bad idea.

I use the gas locker to store a can of petrol for the generator. The petrol is in a proper petrol container and the locker is ventilated so I don't see a problem with it.

Where is your generator kept when not in use?

Edited by blackrose

Given the issues with petrol and petrol engines, I'd think a solar panel array would assist your normal cruising engine generation system well enough. Yes running the main engine is expensive but the provision of hot water for the taps, heat for the radiators and electricity for the batteries, is a reasonable justification for running the engine.

A solar array of 200w may be enough for an electrically frugal lifestyle in the summer but in the winter there is less sun time and the sun is weaker so over 1000w may be better and still need supplementing with engine run time and shoreline.

Selecting your charger to get your battery to full reasonably quickly without boiling the battery is important.