Grand Designs 16 September

Richard T

Featured Posts

ShellFen was the tanker used for supplying the pumps. It was the smallest tanker on Shells books, it was operated by Appleyard and Lincoln, with the electrification of the pumps she was sold on to the Lorenz Brothers, she left East Anglia via the Wash and last time I looked online she was (if I remember right) up north possibly on the Bridgewater?

ShellFen was the tanker used for supplying the pumps. It was the smallest tanker on Shells books, it was operated by Appleyard and Lincoln, with the electrification of the pumps she was sold on to the Lorenz Brothers, she left East Anglia via the Wash and last time I looked online she was (if I remember right) up north possibly on the Bridgewater?

Pretty sure I saw a photo of it up.North somewhere on here recently, the Bridgewater rings a bell.

I saw her on the Thames last year and this year on the K&A The boat has a web page and I tried to contact them via it with no luck. Photos of her on my blog.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=61109

This was one of the boats the guy who was building the house was filmed steering. He did say that he had 7 boats and that he lived on each of them at different times.

I liked his house - much more user friendly than last weeks monstrosity!!!

I saw her on the Thames last year and this year on the K&A The boat has a web page and I tried to contact them via it with no luck. Photos of her on my blog.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=61109

Thanks.

I can't get this http://www.shellfen.co.uk/shellfen/history-of-shellfen.html to load properly on my phone.

We loved the finished house. Bright, minimalistic and not too big, unlike last weeks program. The inverted roof was inspired, with the "keel" on show inside for all to see.

Thank goodness for British eccentrics.

must leave pub earlier, not to sure about inverted keel ?

I understood the reasons why, as teenage dropout, a trust was put in charge of money left to him, as he wasn't considered responsible enough by his family to have such a large sum, but I couldn't understand why the trust was still controlling his assets. Why was a reasonable bloke in his 60s having to go cap in hand to get hold of his own money?

I didn't like the house much. If you're putting a house on stilts they may as well be high. Personally I'd have spent the money on nice Dutch barge.

Edited by blackrose

I understood the reasons why, as teenage dropout, a trust was put in charge of money left to him, as he wasn't considered responsible enough by his family to have such a large sum, but I couldn't understand why the trust was still controlling his assets. Why was a reasonable bloke in his 60s having to go cap in hand to get hold of his own money?

How about the fact he paid £80,000 to a contractor up front to put in the footings and build the structure. They subsequently go bust, he loses all the money, and he's there again cap in hand. Had he not heard of stage payments?

I didn't see the program, but generally whoever bequeathed the money will have set up the trust and defined the terms under which money will be released. Their money, their call.

Assuming it's that sort of trust!

I didn't see the program, but generally whoever bequeathed the money will have set up the trust and defined the terms under which money will be released. Their money, their call.

Assuming it's that sort of trust!

Yes, that was the sort of arrangement, but it was made when he was an irresponsible 17 year old drug fiend. I assumed that such an arrangement would have a time limit, so that as a fairly responsible 67 year old he could have been responsible for his own financial affairs.

I think I'd feel a bit infantalised if I wasn't allowed to be in charge of my own money. Mind you, some of you married blokes voluntarily hand that responsibility over to someone else!

Edited by blackrose

Yes, that was the sort of arrangement, but it was made when he was an irresponsible 17 year old drug fiend. I assumed that such an arrangement would have a time limit, so that as a fairly responsible 67 year old he could have been responsible for his own financial affairs.

I think I'd feel a bit infantalised if I wasn't allowed to be in charge of my own money. Mind you, some of you married blokes voluntarily hand that responsibility over to someone else!

There is nothing making him take the money if complying with the conditions makes him feel infantalised...

There is nothing making him take the money if complying with the conditions makes him feel infantalised...

And the trust must have been sizeable if they could hand out £400k, fifty years on to build a normal sized house out of timber.

Worth watching the program, as he had been a dedicated boater with 7 craft and was always on the move. A likeable character and as I said in a previous post, thank goodness for British eccentrics.

Annoyingly one cannot watch it without 'registering' with Channel 4.

So I won't be seeing the program as I don't want to be deluged with their spam.

Don't worry, you probably won't be able to properly watch it even if you do register. Out of them all, Channel 4 on demand is absolutely rubbish.

I registered with Channel 4 years ago and have never had any spam at all. They do insist, though, that you remove any ad-blocking on their site.

I enjoyed the programme but didn't care for the house: tidy I can do, but not that level of minimalism!

I have ad-block, and was asked to remove it to watch the cycling on ITV. I did so, but still get the message, so I gave up watching. Sorry, off topic. I'm assuming the same will happen with C4, so I won't be watching this Grand Designs.

Hopefully it has a happier future than this one that featured back in 2007

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2011/feb/02/beached-boat-a-triumph

Now that rings a distant bell. Didn't they convert the boat and then find that no harbour or boatyard would allow them to moor it? It looks as if they no longer live aboard, so what has happened to the couple?

I do hope it hasn't been moored on that beach for more than 14 days.