SofaBed Help

GreyLady

Featured Posts

Hi,

Can anyone recomend somewhere to get a Sofa Bed for a Narrowboat, my budget is around £600 and would prefer a Leather type one, either Brown/Cream/Ox Blood in Colour.

I have been looking today but most of them are Fabric, maybe i am loookin at the wrong sites.

Any help would be appreciated as always.

Edited by grumpy146

In true internet stylee, may I suggest you don't get a leather one? A leather bed is not the nicest thing to sleep on.

This is why they are all fabric, I reckon.

Thanks for the reply MtB, thing is being truthfull i had a major flea infestation about 7 years ago when i got my new cat, it ended up rebuilding my flat with laminate flooring and leather sofas. This is the reason i am wanting a Leather/Faux Leather Sofa Bed.

It might only be used as a bed for 4 weekends a year by mum n dad or sisters, but we would like the option of a 4 birth rather than just a fixed double. (my bedroom)tongue.png

Could i get a normal size house sofa bed through the stern entrance unsure.png ?

bloody new boaters and the daft questions i dont know laugh.png

Edited by grumpy146

This looks ok http://www.tesco.com/direct/home-haus-manuel-3-seater-clic-clac-sofa-bed/677-9022.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=269-7831

I'm looking for a sofa that can be used as a bed not a do-all 'is perfect' sofabed. I quite liked the Texas from Benson Beds but when I went in to a store to enquire the man there said sorry & that they were out of stock and then just carried on looking at his computer screen. Classic! :)

This looks ok http://www.tesco.com/direct/home-haus-manuel-3-seater-clic-clac-sofa-bed/677-9022.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=269-7831

I'm looking for a sofa that can be used as a bed not a do-all 'is perfect' sofabed. I quite liked the Texas from Benson Beds but when I went in to a store to enquire the man there said sorry & that they were out of stock and then just carried on looking at his computer screen. Classic! smile.png

Hey thanks,

I quite like the Tesco one its a nice colour too, to be honest i kinda was thinking of one with a solid full looking base rather one with legs.

But i did like the Tesco one

Thanks so much i will post some picy's if i find anything. smile.png

Nabru.

What shop/site is that from stagedamager ?

thanks

Google " Nabru " . They make self assembly sofas in Uxbridge . I don t have one but i ve only ever heard & read good things about them . They appear to be well made & comfortable . When my sofa needs replacing i will almost certainly get one from there .

I really like Nabru but as they are fold-out and not fold-flat all of their sofas would be too wide for my boat unless I turn them sideways so they open out down my boat and not across. Worth double checking dimensions. Totally ok if you don't mind moving it around to use as a sofa bed.

Hey you guys, I found one I like thankyou very much.

I fancy the one below in cream.

https://www.nabru.co.uk/product/Orb+3+Seat+Double+Sofa+Bed

We have one of these in the red colour:

http://www.sofabed-collection.co.uk/sofabeds/leather-sofabeds/daintree-sofabed/ivory.html

It's a lot cheaper, and folds out more simply than most sofa beds. It's quite low, and very firm. It came with the wrong rear legs, so sloped forwards, but that was soon sorted. It is a good (if very firm) bed. Typical Chinese made, but did fit through our bow doors.

Grumps - our final solution was to get a 2nd-hand pine bed from Ebay, and from a village right next to the canal. It came in pieces. We built it up inside the boat, drew a line all the way down (6 inches off!), took it to pieces again and sawed the 6" off each piece outside.

Then of course we built it up again inside - a very nice boating couple lent us a battery-powered electric drill (we have a 240v one which doesn't work with no mains...) and that helped us to do the 2 leg ends and very quickly to screw all the slats down.

Our mattress is a 'Futon' (a word which is very ambiguous these days to say the least) which we bought new from the Futon shop in Solihull. New pillows, new quilts, Moomins quilt covers & pillow cases from Finland, and we have a nice bed, very comfortable, and suddenly an empire of new storage space under the bed.

The disadvantage is that the bed fills the 'bedroom' all day, but we have little need to be in there if we're driving/working the boat. We like to live in the kitchen most of the time. With the bed being always open it's easy to just go and flop on it for postprandial naps.

I really like Nabru but as they are fold-out and not fold-flat all of their sofas would be too wide for my boat unless I turn them sideways so they open out down my boat and not across. Worth double checking dimensions. Totally ok if you don't mind moving it around to use as a sofa bed.

I realized that before I bought one fortunately .. they wont open out across the boat and you can't turn them either (the diagonal cross section is wider than the boat): so you'd have to site the across the boat if you want to open them out.

So I bought a three seater that is long enough for most of the overnighters (until they grow up too much anyway)

We have one of these in the red colour:http://www.sofabed-collection.co.uk/sofabeds/leather-sofabeds/daintree-sofabed/ivory.html

It's a lot cheaper, and folds out more simply than most sofa beds. It's quite low, and very firm. It came with the wrong rear legs, so sloped forwards, but that was soon sorted. It is a good (if very firm) bed. Typical Chinese made, but did fit through our bow doors.

Hey I like that a lot, its really simple to transfer it to the bed mode.

lovely that.

thanks

I realized that before I bought one fortunately .. they wont open out across the boat and you can't turn them either (the diagonal cross section is wider than the boat): so you'd have to site the across the boat if you want to open them out.

So I bought a three seater that is long enough for most of the overnighters (until they grow up too much anyway)

Thank god I read this post.

Cheers.

Grumps - our final solution was to get a 2nd-hand pine bed from Ebay, and from a village right next to the canal. It came in pieces. We built it up inside the boat, drew a line all the way down (6 inches off!), took it to pieces again and sawed the 6" off each piece outside.

Then of course we built it up again inside - a very nice boating couple lent us a battery-powered electric drill (we have a 240v one which doesn't work with no mains...) and that helped us to do the 2 leg ends and very quickly to screw all the slats down.

Our mattress is a 'Futon' (a word which is very ambiguous these days to say the least) which we bought new from the Futon shop in Solihull. New pillows, new quilts, Moomins quilt covers & pillow cases from Finland, and we have a nice bed, very comfortable, and suddenly an empire of new storage space under the bed.

The disadvantage is that the bed fills the 'bedroom' all day, but we have little need to be in there if we're driving/working the boat. We like to live in the kitchen most of the time. With the bed being always open it's easy to just go and flop on it for postprandial naps.

Hia Mr Fox, thanks for your help sounds like you had a bit of fun doing that, we want a Sofa more than a Bed though, but to have the option of a bed when needed, 95% if the time it would be to sit on and watch the tely with our feet up.

I kinda like MHS's red sofa but in cream. Lol

Whilst waiting for my boat to come down I have been thinking of ideas for the interior. At the moment it has pretty basic bed/seating in the cruiser, I was thinking of has anybody used the 'rock and roll' style fold out beds in a crusier?

They use them in VWs and Bongos etc and I think why not on a boat?

If no-one has mentioned it above, there was a recent thread on the same topic and it contains lots of good advice (especially mine!) - it's on Page 4 at the moment - 'Sofa Beds' started by Dave Payne 24 April 2015 with comments up to 29 August.

I've got a Texas from Bensons - see previous thread. Straightforward delivery right to the (boat) door on the marina - easy through the front door and assembly was OK if a little cramped due to the size of the cardboard. Just make sure it is the right way around before you bring it through the door 'cos you might not be able to turn it once it's assembled. It's not actually leather but it is a pretty close fabric with the look of suede. My wife tells me it's firm and comfy - but I can never get her off the d@mn! thing.

• 1 month later...