Boat at Whilton

bramley

Featured Posts

Everyone says if you do not know boats take a friend who does. But not everybody has a friend who does and such people will rely on the brokers honesty (misguidedly?).

Someone earlier has picked up on slippage fees and if this is paid to the broker it is likely this is another source of income. So the more slips the better eh!

Edited by Traveller

I see that the Whilton-bashing season has started. Look at it this way: Whilton Marina Brokerage sells a large number of boats. If they really were as bent as nine-bob notes, would they still be in business?

We bought our first boat 'Octavia' from them, we found them helpful and we had no complaints about the boat. That was in 1997; perhaps the personnel and their methods have changed since then, i don't know.

Everyone says if you do not know boats take a friend who does. But not everybody has a friend who does and such people will rely on the brokers honesty (misguidedly?).

I don't think anyone here on CWDF has ever said to rely on a brokers honesty have they?

If you don't know anyone who knows boats, then it's as simple to ask on CWDF. Thinking of Starcoaster and Blue String Pudding, especially, when they were looking to buy, they asked lots of questions on here, posted up photos and got great advice and excellent boats as a result.

I see that the Whilton-bashing season has started. Look at it this way: Whilton Marina Brokerage sells a large number of boats. If they really were as bent as nine-bob notes, would they still be in business?

We bought our first boat 'Octavia' from them, we found them helpful and we had no complaints about the boat. That was in 1997; perhaps the personnel and their methods have changed since then, i don't know.

I bought our boat from them 5 yrs ago, and whilst the staff were fairly incompetent, i.e. they forgot to arrange the slipping for the survey and the bill of sale is dated the day before I gave them the money (!), I used a friend of mine who is a surveyor, and the boat is lovely.

Now we are looking for another boat, and we do look at boats at Whilton, but with eyes wide open....

Someone described Whilton to me as the tip (think rubbish dump before they got called recycling centres).

It can be worth looking there for new boaters, because they have so many boats to look at & it can give you ideas of what you do eventually want. 1 I was looking at there they gave the impression that they were selling it on behalf of a private owner, but I eventually came to the conclusion that they were lying their arses off & it was in fact theirs (with no hard facts to go on). 1 of their young members of staff accidently let slip because he didnt know I had already found out a few things about that particular boat, the older ones were a bit more wary. I only saw 1 boat there worth having, & I didnt get a good feeling from their staff.

I ended up getting my boat "On Schedule!" from Rugby boats, I dealt mostly with Steve as Dom was on holiday. I can say it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience, they were very helpful & honest etc, just how it should be. Although I dont think they are too keen on tyre kickers (not sure what the boat equivalent is). In fact I'm going back there again today, because since getting mine my Mum & Sister have decided to get 1 themselves.

and is it not the first place wannabee boaters are advised to go, because you can look at several boats at ease without salesmen breathing down your neck? Has that changed? I've heard they don't mind tyre kickers anyway and do all we not kick a few tyres before we get serious looking for a boat? I'm sure we did.

Edited by Lady Muck

Someone described Whilton to me as the tip (think rubbish dump before they got called recycling centres).

It can be worth looking there for new boaters, because they have so many boats to look at & it can give you ideas of what you do eventually want. 1 I was looking at there they gave the impression that they were selling it on behalf of a private owner, but I eventually came to the conclusion that they were lying their arses off & it was in fact theirs (with no hard facts to go on). 1 of their young members of staff accidently let slip because he didnt know I had already found out a few things about that particular boat, the older ones were a bit more wary. I only saw 1 boat there worth having, & I didnt get a good feeling from their staff.

I ended up getting my boat "On Schedule!" from Rugby boats, I dealt mostly with Steve as Dom was on holiday. I can say it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience, they were very helpful & honest etc, just how it should be. Although I dont think they are too keen on tyre kickers (not sure what the boat equivalent is). In fact I'm going back there again today, because since getting mine my Mum & Sister have decided to get 1 themselves.

I believe the generally accepted equivalent is 'fender kickers' :)

Having bought and sold several boats..I take surveys with a 'pinch of salt'...even after I have paid a lot for them.

Surveyors have a 'fine balance' as they are recommended by brokers....boatyards etc.

The boatyard or broker does not want to recommend a surveyor who repeatedly fails its boats..and the surveyor would not want to lose work. After all..they all know one another at different points.

The survey..is only..'on the day'.

One of my boats nearly sank in week two after one of the highly recommended surveyors on here passed it. Phoning him up and asking why the missing bolts etc weren't spotted..he said it was only 'on the day'. Maybe they fell out afterwards!!

Let me tell you..(but NOT tell you) that particular surveyors name crops up on here again and again as an ace surveyor !

A few years back..I sold a boat...with serious issues...and couldn't believe it passed with them being classed as 'minor issues'..but then...it was in his interest to get the sale for the yard..but still cover his backside by making them 'minor'.

Maybe I'm a miserable old cynic who doesn't trust anyone ( hey..that's right !!)

Buyer beware...if you don't like the boat..try and grab any losses back..and move on.

Having bought and sold several boats..I take surveys with a 'pinch of salt'...even after I have paid a lot for them.

Surveyors have a 'fine balance' as they are recommended by brokers....boatyards etc.

The boatyard or broker does not want to recommend a surveyor who repeatedly fails its boats..and the surveyor would not want to lose work. After all..they all know one another at different points.

One of my boats nearly sank in week two after one of the highly recommended surveyors on here passed it. Phoning him up and asking why the missing bolts etc weren't spotted..he said it was only 'on the day'. Maybe they fell out afterwards!!

Let me tell you..(but NOT tell you) that particular surveyors name crops up on here again and again as an ace surveyor !

A few years back..I sold a boat...with serious issues...and couldn't believe it passed with them being classed as 'minor issues'..but then...it was in his interest to get the sale for the yard..but still cover his backside by making them 'minor'.

Maybe I'm a miserable old cynic who doesn't trust anyone ( hey..that's right !!)

Buyer beware...if you don't like the boat..try and grab any losses back..and move on.

My advice would be never use a surveyor recommended by the boat yard you are purchasing through.

Or perhaps you are pragmatic? That is my reply when accused of being cynical/negative ;)

When we were looking for a boat. amongst other yards we visited Whilton several times. We only ever saw one boat we liked which at the time was way above our budget.

It did however serve a useful function, a great guide, (for us) what not to buy. The fact that the sales people do not harrass you whilst looking round is a bonus - gives you lots of time to look in all the nooks and cranies. We took lots of photo's of "The good, the bad and the ugly", most of the boats on display were the latter two, which allowed us to revisit and think about. Several boats had such poor presentation we would not go in them.

Whilst I doubt we would ever purchase a boat from them but they are good for getting a feel of that end of the market, IMHO of course.

My advice would be never use a surveyor recommended by the boat yard you are purchasing through.

I 'think' that is certainly good advice, but the problem is where do you find one ?..

How do you know..that he doesn't know.....that they all know.....him at the boatyard..

Who's to know ?

I can only relay about the excellent service that I received from everyone at Whilton, when I was looking for my next boat. They did not hassle me and gave me the keys of several boats that I wanted to view ( I dont like to be followed around as I like to have a good gander and poke around). I bought my boat from them and kept her moored there for a couple of summers.

On my first w/e aboard they kindly put an oil filled rad on my boat to warm it up as it was a very cold spring, and I wasnt sure what time I would get to my mooring. I didnt ask them to do this and it was a very welcoming warm surprise after a long journey. Andy, the manager was wonderful and used to look after my plants while I was away as well as keeping an eye on all the boats, ( I only was able to get down every couple of months) Twice, I asked if I could move moorings whilst I was there and it was no problem at all.

I do not know if the same staff are still there, but all the staff including the engineers and office staff were really kind and helpful to me, whilst I was there.

I did researched and look at lots of other boats in other places, before I went back to Whilton.

:) At the end of the day, its all about having the 'freedom of choice'. You are able to buy what you want from where ever you want. There are lots of brokers around and the best thing to do is research what you type of boat that you want and how much you are willing/able to pay. If I didnt feel happy about any service or product that I was buying, then I would simply take my custom and hard earned pennies elsewhere, its really just as simple as that. :)

Lorraine.

Edited by tree

Lorraine that's an interesting post but our experience of Whilton was less impressive. We found the staff disinterested and lacking knowledge about the boats they had on brokerage.

BUT.....

There is something to be said for being allowed to wander around their boats unsupervised and without somebody breathing down your neck.

That said a good broker won't make you feel like that if they accompany you which is one of the reasons we bought from Dominic at Rugby Boats in the end.

Surely this is all just about trusting your instincts, and not relying on one source of information?

There will be those who feel they are being dealt with honestly, when they're not (they're the ones who get stung)

There will be those who feel they're being dealt with dishonestly, when in fact they're not (they usually walk away)

I suspect a lot also depends on the actual seller and how they've instructed the broker e.g. how much flexibility on price.

In our case the boat had been on hard standing for c. 18 months. Originally priced at £29k...which even the broker admitted was too high...reduced to £24k, and both the buyer and broker were desperate to 'get rid'. We made an offer 'subject to survey'. We had a full survey of which the only good news was that the hull and engine were ok. Everything else had to go including windows, plumbing and wiring. Essentially we bought a shell...for c. half the asking price, once we'd priced up everything the survey said needed doing.

My brother in law found his first boat at Whilton around seven/eight years ago at. He asked me to go and look it over as he had never owned any boat, i looked it over and told him it was sound and a good boat and told him to make an offer. He then had a survey as I told him I never had a survey myself and didnt want him to risk his money on my say so, he had the survey and the surveyor said yep its a cracking boat ( well in their non commital poiltician type get out of jail language ) he bought the boat it was great. I think most brokers dont care a jot about condition you realy do have to check out the boat yourself all a broker wants to do is make money.

There are of course exeptions to the rule such as Dom who is a sound chap.

Tim

What's to stop the prospective purchaser taking the worst case scenario, and making an offer based on that?

In this case, assuming the engine is the only problem, get a price for a rebuilt unit, add the cost of taking the old one out and installing the new one, then knock a bit more off for the cost of the paperwork. It costs the purchaser nothing to make an offer, and you might get the desired result, or possibly a counter-offer.

I did when I bought my current home. Asking price less a guess at what it would cost for a new BSC, and everyone, as far as I know, was happy.

If they say no, then you've lost the cost of the survey anyway, but that's all.

Bye!

John.

I think most brokers dont care a jot about condition you realy do have to check out the boat yourself all a broker wants to do is make money.

Tim

Exactly.

I had this 'discussion' ( a huge row actually) with a broker.

He said (roughly).."I don't care about you or the boat..but I can sell it.

If you want to sell it..I can do that..but don't ask me to give a f*** about it !!"

Sell it..in no time at all..he did...for near asking price...but I didn't like him.

The main reason for buying from an honourable broker like Dom or a bunch of sh!tbags like Wilton is they have the boat for sale that has chosen YOU....

Free will? Don't kid yourself....

smile.png

MtB

Agreed.

My brother in law found his first boat at Whilton around seven/eight years ago at. He asked me to go and look it over as he had never owned any boat, i looked it over and told him it was sound and a good boat and told him to make an offer. He then had a survey as I told him I never had a survey myself and didnt want him to risk his money on my say so, he had the survey and the surveyor said yep its a cracking boat ( well in their non commital poiltician type get out of jail language ) he bought the boat it was great. I think most brokers dont care a jot about condition you realy do have to check out the boat yourself all a broker wants to do is make money.

Tim

Some people seem to forget this.

A broker is there to advertise your boat and it is up to you to present it in a way that makes it desirable to the potential purchaser. I have lost count of the number of boats we have seen that are just not presented in a way that makes them saleable.

What's to stop the prospective purchaser taking the worst case scenario, and making an offer based on that?

Well, where Wilton are concerned their stock response to an offer on a boat is to divide your offer by the boat length to come up with a price per foot. And if that price per foot is below their 'minimum price per foot' for a boat of that age, they refuse to pass on your offer to the vendor.

That's what stops you, in my personal experience.

MtB

Well, where Wilton are concerned their stock response to an offer on a boat is to divide your offer by the boat length to come up with a price per foot. And if that price per foot is below their 'minimum price per foot' for a boat of that age, they refuse to pass on your offer to the vendor.

That's what stops you, in my personal experience.

MtB

So they're not doing their job, then. As brokers, acting as agents for the vendor, they should be passing *all* offers on, even ridiculously low ones. Even dodgy estate agents do that, in my experience. If they own the boat, of course, acceptance or refusal of an offer is their privilege, but they should, in my opinion, be clear about which boats they own and which ones they're acting as broker on.

Just out of interest, how hard is it to find out who actually owns a boat, and whether there are any charges against her?

Bye!

John.